Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

View Poll Results: Does an advertised car with its plate blanked out put you off enquiring about it?
Yes, it does. 34 47.22%
No, it doesn't. 36 50.00%
I only ever buy brand new cars so such trivial matters don't concern me. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree31Likes

Old 13-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
SPX
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: That one
When viewing a car...

...on the internet, does it put you off if the seller blanks the plate? It does do me, in fact I completely disregard any car advertised this way.

Just wondering the average of buyers who are put off or don't care...
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C350 CDI AMG Sport
Yes, as first thing I do is check MOT history, it it SORN etc.
m2287 and lfckeeper like this.
moonloops is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 212 E220d Saloon.
It puts me off. Same as pixilated pics in lonely heart ads. What they hiding?
Happytalk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
It does not put me off as such, I accept that some people feel uncomfortable with displaying their vehicle registration number in public on the Internet (though I don't know why...). To my mind it does not necessarily indicate an issue with the car or the seller.

Also some dealers 'mask' the plates with their logo.

At any rate I would expect the seller to make the VRM and VIN available to me on first request, so that I can find-out more info about the car.

BUT - the ability to find-out more info about the car before seeing it is cruicial, and I might not always make the extra effort of requesting the VRM - so I might skip this car.

The seller is therefore shooting himself in the foot (in my case anyway) because I might give his/her car a miss if the VRM is not displayed and the car as advertised is just not attractive enough at first sight to justify contacting thr seller and requesting (then waiting for) further info.

Last edited by markjay; 13-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Car: 2016 A Class AMG Line A200d
It would also put me off but I'd probably still look at the description in the advert to see what information was available, if there is little information in the description also I'd probably glance over it, if there is a full description I may request further information depending on how interested I am . I think people like to hide the registration number as they think it will prevent people from taking it and having plates knocked up to go and commit crimes like bilking and parking fines. That being said your number plate is public anyway. Dealers blanking out registration numbers is incredibly annoying, in my experience this has been to advertise a car that they do not actually have in stock i.e. at another dealer in a different part of the country and do not yet possess the full vehicle details or have a number of similar vehicles with similar mileage, colour etc and are using the one photograph for all.

Last edited by liamt; 13-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
liamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #6

Car: W203 200CDI
never understood why someone would withhold info when trying to sell a car.

I will not consider a car when this is the case.
ampwhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Car: C300h AMG Premium +
It stops potential vehicle cloning and identity theft.

But I agree it isn't helpful when you are trying to research the vehicle.

The dealer/seller should give the details if asked for so just puts an extra step in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PobodY likes this.
CRBXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #8

Car: C63 Coupe
I only buy from main dealers anyway, who are always forthcoming with the information when you ask, even if they put their "Approved Used" plate over it.
Revvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
Isn't there a sticky on here telling people to hide their plates in photos?
PobodY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
At some point you have to speak with the seller but I prefer to have some prior knowledge of the car beforehand such as MOT history and RFL and insurance status.

I have had sellers refuse to give me the registration number and also the VIN so in these cases I assume they are trying to hide something, one did say "Why do you want those mate, I have told you all you need to know!".

I also found out a car I was interested in had been subject to 5 insurance claims in 8 years but the seller would not admit to anything until I told him of the claims, he then said they were all for windscreen replacements
DSM10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 1997 W210 e320 saloon, Alfa 156 GTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM10000 View Post
At some point you have to speak with the seller but I prefer to have some prior knowledge of the car beforehand such as MOT history and RFL and insurance status.

I have had sellers refuse to give me the registration number and also the VIN so in these cases I assume they are trying to hide something, one did say "Why do you want those mate, I have told you all you need to know!".

I also found out a car I was interested in had been subject to 5 insurance claims in 8 years but the seller would not admit to anything until I told him of the claims, he then said they were all for windscreen replacements
The ebay seller of that cheap spares / repair E55 estate mentioned in another thread wouldn't tell me the registration number even after we'd been conversing for a while, and that made me so suspicious I didn't proceed. Since there were other obvious AMG bits missing (e.g. the speedo and badges) the only conclusion I could come to was that it wasn't an E55 to begin with...
a111r likes this.
mj2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
It wouldn't put me off although I would expect the vendor to tell me the registration number and VIN number when I ask for it.

I personally don't like my registration numbers to be visible on the Internet, and pixelate photos I put online myself. That said when I've googled my registration numbers, some have been "spotted" and photos posted on spotting websites, so they get out there whether you like it or not.
PobodY likes this.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C250 CGI AMG sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampwhu View Post
never understood why someone would withhold info when trying to sell a car.

I will not consider a car when this is the case.
...my thoughts to .. I would never buy a Merc unless it comes from main dealer with its full service history...best buys are always gonna be low mileage one owner mint condition cars...anything up to 5 years old ...u pay a bit more but peace of mind is so important !!!.and the cost saving over new is considerable..... foxy52
foxy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 Estate
Find a car of the same make and colour, check it's taxed on line using their registration (30 second job) get some plates made up with their registration and drive happily knowing you won't get pinged by a mobile ANPR.
it works in reverse when they get parking and speeding tickets etc
Therefore don't advertise your plate, simples
addbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS 320
With a dealer no, you can just call them ... private yes as its a bit awkward calling just for the reg. .... you feel obliged to ask about a car you're not sure your interested in yet (as I've not checked the history)
lfckeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, viewing