Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension Discuss all wheel related matters

Like Tree18Likes

Old 23-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #16

Car: Here:GL350, BMW 335dx Gone: LR D4, BMW 520d, RRSport
Just had this same question. Merc dealer was telling me that I had to replace the GL's 295/40/R21's with PZero's MO marked for £345 a corner.....bit of research and a chat with the insurance company resulted in that being complete tosh. Ordered a couple of Toyo Proxes SUV XL (exactly the same ratings) for £162 each fitted from Oponeo.....had these on my previous RRSport and was very pleased with them. Current PZero's have been lunched in 15k, which given it's a sedate barge I find a little disappointing

When I did get hold of a decent dealer, they told me the 'MO' was just a marker that they were an OEM product that had been tested by Merc and were 'approved'. Part of it is marketing from the tyre co's.....how many people will just order the ones that say Merc (or BMW) because they think that's the requirement.
Druk and stwat like this.
Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
I had an exchange of emails with Tony Bones of Wheels in Motion when I was needing new summer tyres in April of this year........I copy below an extract from that exchange. I do not believe this email is confidential and I further believe that Tony would not make such a statement if he was not confident that it is factual.

Hello Michael
You need to stick with the MO fitment regardless of whatís said online because there is structural differences between the MO and non MO. As for cost we are not the cheapest at £170 each all in but we do use the best machinery in regard to fitting/ balancing etc..... As for the chassis itís hard to quote up front since we donít know what if anything needs correcting, needless to say an image of the chassis costs £30+ vat and from that we can offer an absolute price.
I hope this helps
Regards
Tony@ wim

Mic

Do It Right.....Do It Once
MicB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
The structural differences referred to could be how well the tyre has been manufactured, the compliance with stricter QC limits, as confirmed by the Michelin chaps I was speaking with. The concentricity, run-out and balance are all measured and graded by colour banding. MO tyres achieve a much tighter compliance than non-MO labelled examples. Generally these tyres are no more expensive as they are manufactured and tested the same as all others. In very rare instances marque specific tyres can be of special compound or structure but as these will be produced in much smaller lots they will be more expensive.

Lexus RC300h F-Sport - Something different
CLS55 AMG Awesome car, now sold
C270 CDI - Gone but not Forgotten
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013
Just to clarify while there is a valid question as to how MO tyres are different to no-MO - if at all - but clearly any tyre officially sold in the UK that meets EU regulations and the manufacturer's specifications in terms of size, load, speed rating etc, is both legal and safe to use.

The only real question is simply whether there is any actual advantage in buying MO tyres... not if it is illegal or unsafe to drive on non-MO tyres as such.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markjay For This Useful Post:
whitenemesis (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C350 CDI AMG Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
Just had this same question. Merc dealer was telling me that I had to replace the GL's 295/40/R21's with PZero's MO marked for £345 a corner.....
I hope mercedes have good solicitors, as the Pirelli P zero is probably the most lethal tyre in the world in wet weather. Just shows MO is a joke and tyre makers must pay mercedes and get good marketing out of the deal.

Maybe this missed the suffix RON on their MO Pirelli's ?
RonFleet likes this.
moonloops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moonloops For This Useful Post:
Beancounter (25-01-2017)
Old 23-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W205 C200
I've just fitted Michelin CrossClimate tyres to my W205 after a chat with Michelin. They told me that the MO designation didn't mean that the tyres were any better than non-MO tyres, just that they'd been approved by Mercedes after joint development work. They also said that they will not be designating the CrossClimate tyres with the manufacturer OEM approval letters.
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W205 C200
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
Just to clarify while there is a valid question as to how MO tyres are different to no-MO - if at all - but clearly any tyre officially sold in the UK that meets EU regulations and the manufacturer's specifications in terms of size, load, speed rating etc, is both legal and safe to use.

The only real question is simply whether there is any actual advantage in buying MO tyres... not if it is illegal or unsafe to drive on non-MO tyres as such.
Tyres are a consumable. As markjay says, so long as they are the right size, speed and load rating as per the vehicle manufacturer's specifications and meet the EU legislation, what's the problem?
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RonFleet For This Useful Post:
markjay (23-11-2016), whitenemesis (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
HB
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 5.5TT, E350 CDI, C320 CDI, S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by developer View Post
I contacted my insurer Aviva about upping the rears from 285 to 295, due to more availability and being a bit of a poseur, and they said they weren't interested in tyres for insurance purposes.
Yes.

When I bought my wife the 212 350 cdi recently ( from Mercedes Edinburgh) , it had one Conti 2 N3 rating with a 93 load index. All the others were Conti 3 97 load rated MO spec. The dealer said this was fine, I said not. They said ask your insurance company, if they say change it, we will.

I asked the insurance company about this and they said, as long as it has passed it's MOT, it is fine with us.

Last edited by HB; 23-11-2016 at 12:51 PM.
HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SL400 and 911 GT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB View Post
Yes.

When I bought my wife the 212 350 cdi recently ( from Mercedes Edinburgh) , it had one Conti 2 N3 rating with a 93 load index. All the others were Conti 3 97 load rated MO spec. The dealer said this was fine, I said not. They said ask your insurance company, if they say change it, we will.

I asked the insurance company about this and they said, as long as it has passed it's MOT, it is fine with us.
I would not want a car with one tyre with a different load rating from the other 3. I doubt MBUK would agree with the dealer.
C240Sport97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2009 W204 C180K
Having one or more tyres with a higher than necessary load rating may be safe enough for an MOT pass but it's not a good idea in terms of the impact that a stiffer construction will have on ride comfort. I presume that if the higher load rated tyre is inflated to the same pressure as the others it will have less deflection. That can't be right either in terms of ride or grip.
190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
HB
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 5.5TT, E350 CDI, C320 CDI, S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by C240Sport97 View Post
I would not want a car with one tyre with a different load rating from the other 3. I doubt MBUK would agree with the dealer.
Yes Sean exactly my thoughts ( I bought 2 new rears the following day anyway)

I did speak to MBUK and agin they said, if the dealer passes them as fit and tha car has passed its MOT, there is nothing for us to be concerned about.

They don't really care.

TBH I got such a good deal on a very good car so a £150 tyre was not an issue for me.
HB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HB For This Useful Post:
C240Sport97 (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013

Arguably it is not conclusive, i.e. are Conti 2 and Coni 3 same 'type'? But if you show this to the dealer they will need to address this question.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2009 W204 C180K
The insurance company using the MOT as an excuse is interesting as the MOT for cars doesn't involve a check on speed or load rating of the tyres.
190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I have seen an example where a manufacturer has specified a particular tyre not to fit as it had found handling issues with that tyre.

There may be specific cases out there which is why you should read the handbook of the car to check really.

There is also the difference between advice and law. The insurer needs to take a balanced view if it is not law. Unlikely they would invalidate unless they was a very clear written reason which is unlikely.

That image markjay is interesting as it could raise a concern. They are also advising against the industry which recommends always fitting the best tread to the rear wheels of a car be it FWD or RWD. Not sure on AWD so could be for that.
Old 23-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
Yup, have always been advised to fit new tyres to the rear wheels ....
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tyres