Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension Discuss all wheel related matters

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #1

Car: W211 E320 estate, W116 280sel, 996 turbo
W211 estate rear suspension question

Greetings Mercedes folk,
I have a W211 E320 estate that has a noisy rear suspension.
the car sounds like there is a window slightly down or when you have not closed you door properly and there is a sort of general boominess to the vehicle.
I understand the difficulty of trying to interpret noises via a forum.
More tellingly the inside of both the rear tyres were worn down to the seams/wires whilst the outsides were fine.
Also driving along the other day i went through a patch on the road and the whole car seemed to skip sideways a fraction...quite unnerving.
The ride is much harsher/jigglier than my other (older.. .124) benz estates.
I have had the local garage chappie and the local Mercedes dealer look at it but I could not accurately convince them it was anything beyond tyre noise.
I have had the rear suspension strut thingys replace (forget what they are called on the self levelling rear world) but now thinking maybe the rear subframe mounts...but before I start throwing large amounts of Euros at the dealer I would like to have a better feel for what it may be.
Apologies for the longish post.
Baser
baser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2005 W215 CL500.
On the 210s the subframe mounts are always going at this age...not sure about the 211, but it's not right. Is the system set up properly, it's almost like shock which are too hard.

The tyre wear is down to the suspension set up, or bush wear.

A 211 expert will be along shortly.
renault12ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Threadstarter

I had the local chappie give the bushes a good work out with the lever bar..he thought they were good.
It is an odd one...as the tyre wear was extreme which should be a good 'tell' of the possible issue I would have thought.
Suspension issues drive me insane..impossible to diagnose and hard to DIY without hoists & tools....and mechs will often fling parts at what they 'think' might be an issue.
Are W211 experts like buses....will a whole bunch turn up at once?
Loving this car otherwise...fully loaded spec wise...should have got diesel for France though....heated seats!!!! first time for me...so sleepy making!
baser
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S212 E63 S
Hello Baser, how long have you had the car - is the noise something new to the usual driving experience?
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Threadstarter

Hi,
Just over a year now.
The rear end was never great which is why I replaced the rear struts. It had wide 17 inch rims with rubbish tyres so I went back to the original 16 inch and put good tyres on but the ride is still wrong.
I think it is something like a anti roll bar link or something that has gone.
to make matters more mysterious.
Whilst my brother in Law was driving it in Cannes (as you do) he said something was making a loud clanking noise...he took it to the dealer there....by the time he got there the noise was gone and the dealer found no issues.
I assumed it was an exhaust bracket/grommet gone...but they were all good when the car came home to me.
The boominess makes me think it might be the subframe mount....but the ride characteristics makes me suspect something else...and the tyre wear has me completely confused.
Baser
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Threadstarter

update on the rear tyre (tire) wear

So after having extreme wear on both inner tyres...then having new suspension struts installed...then new tyres...the result (after a lot of miles) is wearing on drivers side outer side only....thinking now it might be a camber/alignment issue...will take it to Merc dealer to have a look I think once I get the new tyres.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW 520 M-Sport Touring, Kawasaki ZX10R KRT (AMG Eater!)
Worn tyres can sound just like worn wheel bearings.

Being a 211 they are quite often out on the camber front & rear so this needs sorting ASAP before you replace the tyres.

You need to find a decent 4 wheel alignment center which stocks Merc Camber adjustment bolts.

Being as your in France that's a job for you & Google.
sinewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Threadstarter

Thanks for the speedy response....do you think I should get the alignment sorted before the new tyres go on or after....just concerned that getting the tyres on might throw the alignment out again for some reason.
Probably going to have to take it to the stealership...hard to find ...and explain...exactly what I want done with an indy.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW 520 M-Sport Touring, Kawasaki ZX10R KRT (AMG Eater!)
"so this needs sorting ASAP before you replace the tyres."

sinewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Threadstarter

I would have thought put the new tyres on and then do all the camber/alignment stuff.....without doing a national tour between the two events obviously....just thought that it would be best to have it ready to roll once the work was done.
Anyway...thanks for the help...will update in a few months as to how it all went
Old 26-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #11

Car: Soon C or E class
Hi .. I have exactly the same noise issue .. Did you find out what it was?
carrotbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Threadstarter

Got a quality alignment...the wear on the tyres is now fine...done a LOT of miles since.
The boominess is still there...I have just learned to live with it...it might be coming from sedans to wagons I am not used to the difference.
Old 26-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S212 E63 S
Hello again, I've had 3 estates and all have suffered from rear tyre noise - more than you'd expect from a premium car.

Quiet tyres, like Goodyear Assymetric make a big difference.
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to developer For This Useful Post:
sinewave (27-07-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #14

Car: E220 CDI Estate (W211)
I have the same boominess, if I fill the boot up with say old carpets and underlay, the noise is substantially reduced.

This is my biggest bug bear with this car, I thought about putting dynamat around the cargo area, but I'd just be guessing at where the noise insulation would be most effective.

Really drives me nuts though, especially on concrete motorways!
willg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E220-CDI Classic 2008 manual saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I have the same boominess, if I fill the boot up with say old carpets and underlay, the noise is substantially reduced.

This is my biggest bug bear with this car, I thought about putting dynamat around the cargo area, but I'd just be guessing at where the noise insulation would be most effective.

Really drives me nuts though, especially on concrete motorways!
The saloon's not exactly hushed on fast roads either. Even with new Michelins all round, you're still told instantly, what kind of surface you're on.
The road noise on my 2006 BMW 525d saloon was comparitively speaking, non-existent.
Was shocked to find this on a premium car.
But right now, I'm trying to diagnose a knock at the rear suspension and another knock with loud creak from the front.
May resort to some of those wireless microphones you attach to suspect components.
Lord-WYBMAnE220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
estate, question, rear, suspension, w211