Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > ------> Mercedes Performance > Performance Lounge
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Performance Lounge For the tuning of all Mercedes Cars new and old.

Like Tree8Likes

Old 14-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #16

Car: W212 E63 AMG Saloon
I read somewhere that changing the oil too often can actually increase engine wear. This is because the oil contained a detergent package that is used to break down deposits and suspend them in the oil so that the filter can pick them up. As the detergent package is used up, anti wear additives are deposited in high pressure areas to form a protective layer on cams, followers etc. and wear is minimised once this phase is reached. If you change the oil too often then the detergent cleaning package is stripping the anti wear deposits and wear actually goes up.

I'll see if I can find a reference, but this was based on vw.study on their own engines with an 18k oil change interval, if I recall. It may be counterintuitive, but it makes sense if the oil has greater long term stability in viscosity and lubricity and the oil change interval is optimised around the specification of the additives and how long they remain effective.

Regards,
Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 14-12-2016 at 12:05 PM.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, frequency, oil, post, remap