Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums > PC and I.T support/Advice posts
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

PC and I.T support/Advice posts Computer advice here

Old 16-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 saloon
Unstable PC and unable to run a back-up

My Windows 7 (Home Premium edition) laptop is now 3 years old and is showing all the usual Windows signs of age. Programs are taking longer to open, IE is unstable and often crashing as well as not opening full size (Auto-sizer will not always fix this either.

The plan was to reinstall everything from the recovery partition but first to run a backup and create a system image. The problem is that every time I try this the back-up will run for awhile and then fail with the following error codes.
Ox 8078012DOx8007045D
Reading up on this it seems to be a registry issue but all the "help" I have found either makes no sense to me or does not work!
I have run disk checking on the C drive and my external hard drive, re-formatted the external drive and cleared out old back-up folders from within Windows but although the back-up went further it still failed after about 20 minutes of backing up. What I want to do is be able, if possible is re-install all current programs etc as I do not have all the software on CD.
Any advice gratefully received!
DSM10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A45 AMG
Two things spring to mind. One are you sure it's not malware or a virus as those symptoms are common. I'd run a good AV program and then an anti-malware to check. Second you can re-install windows on top of itself if you have a DVD/CD. This keeps all you programs and settings but gives you a clean windows install.
c63chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c63chris For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (16-01-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 16-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 , BMW F10 (now waiting for order number two :/), GSXR 1000Z
Try Ccleaner.

Gets rid of unneeded files and does a good registry clean up.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
cinek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinek For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (16-01-2014)
Old 16-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

I have Norton and Malawarebytes , no problems reported, the laptop did bot come with any CD/DVD. it is all on a recovery partition.
Old 16-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: V220 CDI
could you just copy out the stuff you want to keep ? pictures movies etc ?
Danny DeVito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny DeVito For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (16-01-2014)
Old 16-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny DeVito View Post
could you just copy out the stuff you want to keep ? pictures movies etc ?
They are already stored elsewhere, as I said though I have various programs like Office suite and other things for which I do not have the original install discs.
Old 16-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W212 E63 AMG PP+
I don't wish to be a harbinger of doom, but I'd suggest you take a good look in the Windows Event Log for any disk errors.

I used Windows Backup on my Win7 desktop machine (including a system image) for quite a while and then it suddenly started to fail with Ox8078012D & Ox8007045D error codes, or the machine would just stop completely during a backup. I did find the odd disk-related entry in the Event Log, but chkdsk never found anything awry so I gave up chasing it and installed Macrium Reflect which successfully created a full image and allowed me to backup the machine so I just left it at that.

Roll on a few months and strange things started happening: odd lockups, application crashes, etc. I checked the Event Log and again found the odd disk-related entry, but never coincident with any of the issues I was experiencing. Chkdsk revealed nothing either. It was only when I ran the disk manufacturer's diagnostics that the source of the problem became clear: the disk was failing. Fortunately I was able to restore a full image to a new disk using Reflect, but it was a nervous time because the disk had clearly been faulty for some time and there was a possibility that I would be attempting to restore from a corrupted image.

So, in short, check your machine's disk thoroughly with an appropriate utility and if anything shows up just hope you can successfully clone the disk before it cashes in its chips completely.
st13phil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st13phil For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (16-01-2014)
Old 16-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Administrator

Car: SL500 & The Fart Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM10000 View Post

They are already stored elsewhere, as I said though I have various programs like Office suite and other things for which I do not have the original install discs.
You don't need install media for office or your other applications as you can get the install media pretty easily online.

What you do need is to make a note of your license keys.

I don't really understand how you think running a backup now will fix windows? If you ran a recovery OS install and then followed that up with a complete restore you would be in the exact position you find yourself in now after 10 hours of work.

You should be restoring from a known good backup and not from a known bad backup.
Old 17-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ke View Post
You don't need install media for office or your other applications as you can get the install media pretty easily online.

What you do need is to make a note of your license keys.

I don't really understand how you think running a backup now will fix windows? If you ran a recovery OS install and then followed that up with a complete restore you would be in the exact position you find yourself in now after 10 hours of work.

You should be restoring from a known good backup and not from a known bad backup.
Spike; I do not expect a back up to fix Windows, I did not suggest that, I just want to back up all existing files so I can then carry out a re-install of Windows and then choose the files I wish to restore. There is no current good backup available as the external hard drive used for this failed, I have a new external drive that I will use to backup files from now

Are the license keys stored on the laptop after install and if so how would I find them? The original installation discs with the licence keys have been "mislaid"
Old 17-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #10

Shame you've mislaid those install discs, huh?

Best fix is to back up all the DATA somewhere, then completely wipe and reinstall the operating system and the programs you need/use, then the data.

And have a regular back up strategy too.

I use Clonezilla and take regular system images (I have enough drive space to do this, and to split it over 2 discs so I can wipe the disc and restore it from the other). It takes about 2 hours to go from a totally broken, won't start up, PC, to a fully restored one which works fast.
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SAAB 95 Aero HOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM10000 View Post
Spike; I do not expect a back up to fix Windows, I did not suggest that, I just want to back up all existing files so I can then carry out a re-install of Windows and then choose the files I wish to restore. There is no current good backup available as the external hard drive used for this failed, I have a new external drive that I will use to backup files from now

Are the license keys stored on the laptop after install and if so how would I find them? The original installation discs with the licence keys have been "mislaid"
Download Magical Jelly Bean and when you run it it will display most the keycodes of installed commercial software. 100% MS office and Windows...
moonloops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moonloops For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (17-01-2014)
Old 17-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonloops View Post
Download Magical Jelly Bean and when you run it it will display most the keycodes of installed commercial software. 100% MS office and Windows...
Thanks! Just found that myself and the product keys are instantly displayed!
Old 17-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

The product keys are in the registry somewhere, aren't they? Thus not needing any extra software to reveal them - if you know where to look!
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
The product keys are in the registry somewhere, aren't they? Thus not needing any extra software to reveal them - if you know where to look!
According to my searches on-line the keys are held in the registry but are encrypted.
Old 17-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Administrator

Car: SL500 & The Fart Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinek View Post
Try Ccleaner.

Gets rid of unneeded files and does a good registry clean up.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I wouldnt advise this.

I have never come across a pc that had CC cleaner installed that isnt completely hosed.

I suppose one could put this down to the machine being screwed before CC cleaner was installed but however you look at it, CC Cleaner didnt fix the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sp!ke For This Useful Post:
DSM10000 (17-01-2014)

Tags
backup, run, unable, unstable