Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Parts, Maintenance & Servicing
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Parts, Maintenance & Servicing
Looking for any special car parts?

Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Abb
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLS 55 AMG, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
C43 Restoration Project advice needed

As some of you may recall I asked for advice for a potential purchase of a C43 which belonged to a friend of mine but had been stood for the past 3-4years. Having considered the advice for and against, I have decided to bite the bullet and go for it!
Time will tell if it was the right thing to do or not.

Anyway, just prior to the car being parked up (outdoors and exposed to the elements), I have found numerous receipts indicating it had just been serviced some 2 months previous, including all spark plug change, discs & pads all round!!

Prior to me attempting to start it (am just waiting for a new battery), I was going to change the oil (for MB Spec 229.5 5W/40) and oil filter, as well as the fuel filter and fuel.

My questions are:

Is there anything else I should consider as to avoid causing any potential damage??

Can I just remove, clean if required and reuse the spark plugs?

Would discs & pads be useless even though they have not been used?

Would brands like Mann, Crossland, Hengst be ok for filters or should I use genuine OEM? Pagid brake shoes, pads, be ok with oem discs if required.

It is worth pointing out that the car was fine and ran perfectly before being parked up and essentially forgotten about
Oh and I am not a mechanic/technician, just don't mind tinkering with cars doing the basics.

Thank you
Abb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2005 CL500.
Turn the engine over on the starter a couple of times to get the oil moving before firing...
renault12ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S210 E320 CDI
Mann yes, Crossland, not any more.

Check price against MB.
bob6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
I wouldn't bother changing the oil or anything else bar draining the tank via the fuel filter and adding fresh fuel. Then when the engine is good and hot drop the oil if you are not happy with it. With the engine running, sort the brakes and drive it to see what's what. Enjoy.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW e39 528i Touring - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
^This. Apart from you may want to consider removing the plugs and squirting some oil down the bores then turning by hand to ensure that everything is free.
brucemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2009 W204 C180K
If the oil was fresh when the car was parked up there is no need to changer it. Oil has a very long shelf life. I'll also 2nd turning it over by hand with a squirt of oil down the plug holes.

For me the real issue is the old fuel. As well as draining the tank, if it's possible to flush the whole system through I'd do that and afterwards replace the fuel filter.
190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Abb
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: Mercedes CLS 55 AMG, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
Thank you gents for all the advice. I will remove the plugs, squirt some oil, change the fuel filter and drain the tank adding fresh fuel.
Turn it over by hand and then fire it up and take it from there.
Will be doing this in the coming weeks and I will post the results, as well as starting a build/resto thread.
Abb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2004 S211 E55K AMG/1988 190E 2.3-16 Manual/1988 190E 2.5-16 Manual/2003 Porsche 911 3.6 C2 (X51/X74)
I'd just order an fresh battery (try a commercial MB garage for a price, last 100Ah genuine MB battery I bought earlier this year was 62+VAT).

I'd remove the auxiliary belt and spin all the pulleys by hand, make sure nothing is seized. Turn the engine on the crank a few times too to get things moving.

Other than that, maybe drain the fuel but to be honest you're not going to get all the old fuel out of the injectors and pipes etc. Drain it for now and chuck a couple of cans of fresh in before touching anything else.

I can't see you having too much trouble getting it running, I'd be much more worried about hidden rust (body wise and brake pipes etc!) and perished rubber bits (seals/tyres/hoses etc).

Good luck
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Abb (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW e39 528i Touring - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
If it helps:

I just bought a very nice BMW E39 Touring. This had been stood outside for a year and not been started once in that time.

Things that needed doing.

New Battery - totally goosed.
New Wheel Speed Sensors - They were badly corroded and had stuck to the rings.
New Discs & Pads - The discs could have been saved but the pads fell apart where they had stuck to the discs.
The engine and trans were absolutely fine (they are protected by the bonnet) from above but not from the ambient damp.
Wipers were all rotted as were the rear wiper spindle and siezed wiper motor.

Avatar: Our two magnificent & beautiful Siberian Huskies. Gone but never forgotten - Remy & Snowy.

brucemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brucemillar For This Useful Post:
Abb (07-12-2016)

Tags
advice, c43, needed, project, restoration