Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

Like Tree20Likes

Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Car: B200 CDI SE Executive Auto (W246)
How about a Chromebook?

Should You Buy a Chromebook?
Alf Barnet likes this.
Dickie Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dickie Fix For This Useful Post:
John Jones Jr (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W212 E250 CDI BlueEfficiency Avantgarde Estate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryce
If it's this sort of territory would be looking at something like an Asus Transformer at the low end for 200 - low computing power but lightweight portable and cheap - only 2GB RAM and 32GB or 64GB so slow flash memory. Or moving up to a Lenovo Yoga for a convertible. As these things go up market they use faster (and upgradable) SSD devices and have 4GB RAM or more.
Last year I've bought for my girls Lenovo Yoga 300 with 2GB RAM and 32GB flash and after a couple of months it became so slow and out of memory that it's unusable now. I've tried to open it and upgrade it but without success.
For a bit more I would go for some with proper HDD or SSD and at least 4GB RAM
MercedesDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercedesDriver For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
Solid advice can really only be given with a full description of how you intend to use it. For general day to day stuff, office, browsing light video work etc then an i5 will suffice. Heavy duty video, photoshop etc will need an i7.
MikeInWimbledon likes this.
markmifsud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markmifsud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
Chromebook. When he loses it none of his files will be on it. Just replace it and he can log back in and continue from where he was

No need to worry about OS updates, viruses, security, backup, etc. Just make sure he sets a secure password

Nick Froome
Alf Barnet likes this.
bolide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bolide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 W209, AMG styling, Facelifted Dash, 18" AMG wheels, Pioneer SPH-DA120 App Radio
Another thumbs up for the chromebook.

Cheap, good battery life, simple to use
Alf Barnet likes this.
clk320x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clk320x For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
For mobility, convenience and bump protection a laptop is better than a tablet (which aren't so popular with teenagers anyway).

I use an expensive Chromebook at work and a cheap one at home. They provide hassle free computing, but if it's games your godson wants to play on it you'll have to get a laptop and then it depends on what you want to stretch to. I agree Macbook has the cool factor and if he is into making music, the only viable choice. (I'm a long-term Linux user, but trust me, getting audio devices to work with it - for guitar, keyboard or voice - is a major pita). You can get a low-end, new Macbook if you look hard for nearer 500 than 1000.

Otherwise a Windows or Linux laptop from a well known manufacturer with a proper warranty. Windows if he's really into games, Linux if he likes making things or tinkering, eg with Raspberry Pi or Arduino etc.

Good luck!
gr1nch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gr1nch For This Useful Post:
John Jones Jr (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #22

Car: W203 C320 CDi
Macbook Pro is the way to go
twoakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: LR Discovery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr View Post
Hello one & all.

This is is for my Godson, he's just turned twelve. I've been warned by his parents not buy anything too expensive as they imagine he'll only get a year or two out of it...
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
The internet once again proving the right place to get first-rate advice.

John Jones Jr and Alf Barnet like this.
Spin_bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W124 E320 estate / W212 E350 Brabus D6 estate / Panda 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
Expensive though.
Williamwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Firstly, thanks for all the advice and comments. Yesterday I asked a fourteen year old for their opinion and after five minutes my brain was fried. All of the above just proved I haven't a clue.

I've decided not to actually buy a laptop myself, spoke the you lads Mum last night and told her to bring him shopping and I'll pay. Simple, hassle free and I won't have fouled up as there was a very strong possibility of that happening which no doubt you could tell.

As they say the jobs a good one.

Thanks again.

Sent by ismoke signals using a Toshiba.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A205 C220d
Laptops - Best Laptops Offers | PC World

Laptops range from 140 to 4000

You're potentially going to be a very generous man
wemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemorgan View Post
Laptops - Best Laptops Offers | PC World

Laptops range from 140 to 4000

You're potentially going to be a very generous man

Ha, ha. I hope you're wrong.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr View Post
Firstly, thanks for all the advice and comments. Yesterday I asked a fourteen year old for their opinion and after five minutes my brain was fried. All of the above just proved I haven't a clue.

I've decided not to actually buy a laptop myself, spoke the you lads Mum last night and told her to bring him shopping and I'll pay. Simple, hassle free and I won't have fouled up as there was a very strong possibility of that happening which no doubt you could tell.

As they say the jobs a good one.

Thanks again.
My only thought is that , at age 10 , the young man may not have done any research into this either and may end up opting for something he later regrets .

If he seems to know what he wants , fair enough ; if no thought has gone into it , buy the cheapest you can get away with as it may well be money thrown away until he learns something about computers .

My 8 YO son is now on his 4th computer , all very much second hand hand-downs ( iMac G3 , iMac G4 , white MacBook , 2011 iMac ) , 3rd Tablet ( iPad mini ) and 2nd phone ( iPhone 4S ) and already very proficient in MacOS , which is what is used in his school ( another valid question ) as well as Photoshop , iMovie , iTunes , Safari , Garageband and more ...

" In a Mercedes-Benz , EVERY seat is First Class "

Last edited by Pontoneer; 08-02-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Pontoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

No worries, he's twelve and just like a lot of twelve year olds he knows everything!
Pontoneer and Dickie Fix like this.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoneer
My only thought is that , at age 10 , the young man may not have done any research into this either and may end up opting for something he later regrets . If he seems to know what he wants , fair enough ; if no thought has gone into it , buy the cheapest you can get away with as it may well be money thrown away until he learns something about computers . My 8 YO son is now on his 4th computer , all very much second hand hand-downs ( iMac G3 , iMac G4 , white MacBook , 2011 iMac ) , 3rd Tablet ( iPad mini ) and 2nd phone ( iPhone 4S ) and already very proficient in MacOS , which is what is used in his school ( another valid question ) as well as Photoshop , iMovie , iTunes , Safari , Garageband and more ...
Bloody hell, he needs to get out a bit!
Pontoneer likes this.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase