Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

Like Tree14Likes

Old 07-01-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 2013
Royal Mail

At work we sent out some 300 letters containing promotional material to customers on 15th December. As yet none arrived.

I am expecting several letters that were sent to me before Christmas. Again, none arrived.

Yet I received today post sent out on 3rd and 4th January.

Has anyone else experienced this?

And does anyone know what happens to post piled up at the Royal Mail? 'Someone in the know' told me that delayed post gets destroyed as staff can't catch up on the backlog.... But I find this difficult to believe.
markjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
Was it sent on a 'circular' type stamp?

So many promo type letters are simply binned. Bundled together they just get recycled..
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenemesis View Post
Was it sent on a 'circular' type stamp?

So many promo type letters are simply binned. Bundled together they just get recycled..
It was sent in an envelope with an old-fashioned stap (not franking machine). And it was something the customers were actually expecting.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS 350 CDI Sport
Proving it may actually be impossible.

Of course, you do realise that if you had been sending illegal drugs, the letters would have probably been delivered, as the Royal Mail is now the preferred method of drug couriering.
TheFoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A124 E220 Cabriolet
Over the last 3 years, I've sent out roughly 10,800 letters (I do the monthly magazine for a car club).

People pay for the mag, so are likely to shout up if it gies astray. And the total reported missing is ... one!

I post them second class, and they often arrive, across the country, the next day.

Well done the posties!
Pontoneer and geraldrobins like this.
CabrioDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mini & Porsche
I have had similar, although I am on the receiving end. Pre Christmas stuff just did not arrive but subsequent letters have.

S
Pontoneer likes this.
Simon_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon_M For This Useful Post:
markjay (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
Isn't there a legal obligation for Royal Mail to deliver all letters posted , as far as possible given that some may be wrongly addressed or that mistakes do happen ?

I'd have thought that destroying undelivered mail would be an offence of some kind ?

I too think that Royal Mail and Parcelforce are pretty good : I buy and sell a fair amount on eBay , and in the last couple of years have only not received one package sent to me at the beginning of December 2016 . The seller refunded me and submitted a claim , but the tracking number still shows 'in transit' . Thankfully it was just a small item worth about a tenner and I since bought another .

" In a Mercedes-Benz , EVERY seat is First Class "

Pontoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioDave View Post
Over the last 3 years, I've sent out roughly 10,800 letters (I do the monthly magazine for a car club).

People pay for the mag, so are likely to shout up if it gies astray. And the total reported missing is ... one!

I post them second class, and they often arrive, across the country, the next day.

Well done the posties!
Good to hear. This is not the situation in my area though.

My current complaint however is specifically regarding post sent before Christmas and which (so far) seem to have vanished into thin air.

I am aware that there was a partial Post Office strike (Communication Workers Union - CWU) during this period but the Royal Mail said their operations were largely unaffected:

http://www.royalmail.com/post-office...-december-2016
Old 07-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

The issue I have with the Royal Mail's 'all year round' operations is that we often get post both at office and at home which is actually addressed to neighbouring properties.

When the address is nearby I would hand deliver the letter to its intended recipient, and when the address is too far away I would just put it in the nearest post box (better luck next time...).

My main concern is what happens when letters addressed to us are delivered to the wrong address? I don't know if my neighbours would do the same.
Pontoneer likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW e39 528i Touring - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post

When the address is nearby I would hand deliver the letter to its intended recipient, and when the address is too far away I would just put it in the nearest post box (better luck next time...).

My main concern is what happens when letters addressed to us are delivered to the wrong address? I don't know if my neighbours would do the same.
I have exactly this issue: There is an address in the village near us that is "XXXX" we are "XXXX Farm". After a change of postie when our faithful and trusted postie, of twenty years retired. We started to have mail for the other people delivered to us. This coincided with my deliveries going missing, never to be seen (by me) again. For the first time ever I started to get complaints from ebay sellers.

Like Mark. I would happily hand deliver the parcels to our "neighbours" who never once actually thanked me for doing so!!. I once asked if they had received a parcel for me?. That was met with a curt NO.

This stopped after I managed to speak with our "new" Postie and asked her, for her help.

I am still missing a full set of Golf Grips that my seller sent "THREE TIMES". He had 100% feedback on thousands of Golf Grips Sold. I absolutely believe that he posted correctly and as he promised. I can only draw my own conclusions about where the grips ended up.

Avatar: Our two magnificent & beautiful Siberian Huskies. Gone but never forgotten - Remy & Snowy.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/membe...storation.html

brucemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brucemillar For This Useful Post:
markjay (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

On one occasion I actually tried talking to the postman... and drew his attention to the misdelivered items... he did apologise, but then said he was actually an agency worker and this area was a one-off for him. The issue with living in Central London is that you rarely get to see the same postman twice.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2003 CL600
Down here in SW France UK post (letters) can take anything from 2 to 5 days to arrive.

This Christmas, we and others have had considerable delays. Today I received a Christmas card from my son which was posted in Yorkshire on the 12th December. We have had several cards arrive within the past week which were franked well before Christmas.

The French PO (La Poste) is working normally, even on Boxing Day, which is not a bank holiday over here.

Can't say things have gone missing, but there's definitely a problem with the PO in the UK.

Stuart
Swotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

I am not sure why the Royal Mail should be experiencing difficulties in delivering letters during the Christmas period.

Christmas occurs on the same date every year, and the anticipated workload can be easily deducted from previous years.

Many of our clients are in the Hospitality sector, and hotels regularly adjust their staffing levels according to the anticipated seasonal workload.

Not sure why this can't be done at the Royal Mail? Especially given that they seem to be using quite a few subcontractors and agency workers these days.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
The issue I have with the Royal Mail's 'all year round' operations is that we often get post both at office and at home which is actually addressed to neighbouring properties.

That happens with us too - living in a small hamlet of cottages with no easily visible numbers ( the postie knows who's who , but delivery drivers don't always bother to walk the few hundred yards between houses and just leave things at the first house they come to - usually my neighbour over the way who sits right on the Postcode as defined by satnav ) - we all hand packages back and forth .
Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
I am not sure why the Royal Mail should be experiencing difficulties in delivering letters during the Christmas period.

Christmas occurs on the same date every year, and the anticipated workload can be easily deducted from previous years.

Many of our clients are in the Hospitality sector, and hotels regularly adjust their staffing levels according to the anticipated seasonal workload.

Not sure why this can't be done at the Royal Mail? Especially given that they seem to be using quite a few subcontractors and agency workers these days.
I thought they did always take on seasonal workers , but perhaps now budget constraints or increased vigilance over benefits claimants has put paid to this ?

Maybe the likes of Amazon also taking on seasonal workers has eaten into the available pool of workers ?

Tags
issue, mail, royal