Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

Like Tree8Likes

Old 17-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 Estate
Amazon... Big problem exposed

So this year, as a thank you to some good customers, I decide to give them Amazon gift cards in a presentation pack instead of John Lewis vouchers or hampers.
My daughter who works for me placed an order for a number of cards with a 100 nomination on, lets just say its a considerable sum.

The cards turn up yesterday but upon inspection my daughter is not happy with the state of one of the presentation boxes. She calls Amazon to complain that this is just not acceptable and spouted on about who was responsible for the quality check at packaging (good girl)
Amazons customer services rep was most apologetic and said she would immediately refund our bank card, cancel the gift cards and get replacements out asap.

Customer services asked for the bank card number and order number and went off the phone for a few mins to carry out the transaction.
When they came back, my daughter was asked if she would check the silver scratch section of the gift cards? My daughter took one out of its box and said its been scratched to reveal the code beneath!!!

Upon checking further it was discovered that every card had been scratched off and cashed in ��
The lousy bar-stards in packaging had used every one and sent out useless cards.
Good job my daughter was on the ball but i wonder how many other folk out there will be given a gift card thats been used and what would they be thinking about the person or company that gave them in good faith.
Old 17-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Report to Police, get a crime number.

If you get push back useful to have but in any event a crime has been committed.

Who delivered these cards?
Pontoneer likes this.
Satch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

John Lewis treat their staff as partners and reward them accordingly whereas Amazon.....well......let's just say they don't:

Amazon: Devastating expose accuses internet retailer of oppressive and callous attitude to staff | The Independent

And Amazon is one of those corporations that is helping to kill the high street by not paying its fair share of tax and then undercutting everyone.

Stick with John Lewis.
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
Amazon will sort it out. They will have replacements with you same day or next day if you ask, so just ask.

They will also be able to identify what has been ordered, in what name, and the address the goods have been delivered to.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
...They will also be able to identify what has been ordered, in what name, and the address the goods have been delivered to.
Which will prove to useless information. Without going into details, there is no problem in opening an online account, ordering goods to be delivered to a specific address, then disappearing without trace.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
But yes, Amazon will bend over backwards to sort this out for the customer.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
But yes, Amazon will bend over backwards to sort this out for the customer.
Your correct, Amazon would have delivered new cards today if we had been at the works premises to accept delivery.
addbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch View Post
Report to Police, get a crime number.

If you get push back useful to have but in any event a crime has been committed.

Amazon discovered the crime when they went to cancel the cards. They must know when they were cashed because they said its a crime within their department i.e. Cashed before they were sent out.

Who delivered these cards?
Package had not beem tampered with in any way, as above, its within Amazon

Just wonder how many have been sent out and the customers havent discovered they are cashed cards before giving them as gifts
Old 17-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by addbuyer View Post
Just wonder how many have been sent out and the customers havent discovered they are cashed cards before giving them as gifts
The chances are this order was targeted because of the amounts.

You would think Amazon might have some sort of extra security or interbnal tracking on valuables - whether that be high value gift cards or small expensive items such as watches over a given threshold.
Dryce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E 350 Bluetec 9 G Tronic Coupe
Last year I ordered an I pod and a road atlas from amazon, the package arrived but no I pod,the paperwork with our order was in the package, I assumed it would arrive separatley the next day, it didn't. I rang Amazon, she said they'd been sent out together, and was the package damaged, it wasn't, she sent another I pod the next day, it would seem someone at Amazon isn't playing the game.
Peter103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S210 E320 CDI
Amazon's customer service is excellent and this makes it open for abuse. This giftcard abuse as posted by the OP is a prime (no pun intended) example,

On the flip side, a friend ordered an expensive bottle of whisky (100 odd) and it arrived with damage to the stand (fancy packaging). Bottle was intact. One call to Amazon and they refunded the order in full and let him keep the bottle.

A scam that took advantage a couple of years ago was again taking advantage of Amazon's customer service. Buyer would order a high end iPad etc and also something like nail varnish. On arrival, buyer complains nail varnish has leaked all over the iPad which was a present and so the packing mattered and that they don't have time to wait for another. Refund issued, item kept by buyer for free and then sold on brand new, sealed. They eventually caught on and stopped sending them in the same box
bob6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Replacement gift cards didnt turn up. Called Amazon and discovered that they had made a note on our account that they had sent out spent gift cards and that replacements would be dispatched but then didnt bother actioning it!! Still took our money though. So its not just their packaging department that are crooks, its the the whole company now..... W4NKERS
Old 19-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
Probably too busy trying to work out which of their staff pinched them.
PobodY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by addbuyer View Post
Replacement gift cards didnt turn up. Called Amazon and discovered that they had made a note on our account that they had sent out spent gift cards and that replacements would be dispatched but then didnt bother actioning it!! Still took our money though. So its not just their packaging department that are crooks, its the the whole company now..... W4NKERS
Incompetent maybe, crooks unlikely.
DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200 CDI Sport, VW Transporter
I find Amazon brilliant but do feel guilty sometimes

They get little things wrong, and often

I order replacement coils for my vapour pen from them, the product box is the size of a matchbox yet the packaging it delivers in is larger than a DVD box, larger than letterbox so each time I order one and nobody is home to take delivery I miss it. They mostly refund the delivery or the item

Recently purchased some song sheet books for a particular band, 5 altogether from different shops. One arrives but is the wrong album book, although one I did want but hadn't ordered. They offered full refund and a reorder, I actually said no I'll pay for this and reorder the correct item which they were happy with

Same band I ordered their new cd back in November, first cd marked as delivered but hadn't arrived. I complained and they sent a new one out without quibble. A week later the original one turned up

Have noticed they use private couriers (regular joes) like yodel, although more efficient than that terrible company

They do seem to be weeding out the crap couriers and keeping the good ones. Many a time I've witnessed them pull up down the road, pull out their tablet and mark the delivery as missed and try and drive off, which you get instant notifications for. Meaning you have to run after them, I have reported this on a few offenders and haven't seen them deliver again
ash59fifty-uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, big, exposed, problem