Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

Like Tree21Likes

Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #46
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55BOF View Post
There's a website called 'emailsherlock' that might help. It used to be free, but now, though the search is free, I think you have to subscribe to see the results, and of course, until you see them, you don't know whether they are any use to you.
That site is a con. claims to have results for criminal issues, divorces and marriages for my email.

All it will really know is the IP address of my email server and nothing else.
markmifsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #47
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: 124 300CE + 208 CLK430 + 2016 220 e class estate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red C220 View Post
Time to call it a day.

My dear old Dad always told me you can never con an honest man. Every scam usually involves some degree of compliance from the victim.

In your case dealing outside of eBay to get something cheaper and removing all the protection.

Sending a payment as a "gift" through Paypal as a "Friends & Family" payment. I'm resonably sure this form of transfer also removes any possibility of chargeback as no one has charged your card, you've gifted money from it.

It's a life lesson and a mistake that you won't make again, move on anf file it under "experiences".
Yoir absolutely right, however its beyond money now and out if principle I'm going to keep going!
s2oty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2016, 01:29 AM   #48

Car: SLK320 (R170) When the wife lets me.
Can you not request the address and contact details through ebay? I'm positive there is a way. I seem to remember there being all sorts of warnings and stuff but they could have changed the contact policies since the last time I checked.
mike_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 AM   #49

Car: SLK320 (R170) When the wife lets me.
Also, just found this........

Here's what we found for "False contact information"

Accurate and up to date contact information helps to protect everyone on eBay. Giving false contact information or refusing to give another user your contact details is against our policies and can result in account suspension.
If you're unable to get accurate contact information from an eBay user, please report this to us.

Last edited by mike_es; 07-10-2016 at 01:33 AM.
mike_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #50
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Various.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_es View Post
Can you not request the address and contact details through ebay? I'm positive there is a way. I seem to remember there being all sorts of warnings and stuff but they could have changed the contact policies since the last time I checked.
Can only be used once you have bought something from the seller.

eBay Search: Advanced Search
neilrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #51
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S210 E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrr View Post
Can only be used once you have bought something from the seller.

eBay Search: Advanced Search
Yep I have used this in the past. I had a disclaimer stating that the seller will also be sent my contact details at the same time, which they had anyway
bob6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #52
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Spoke at length to both ebay and paypal. As before due to DPA and given i wasn't in contract with the seller neither could furnish the sellers address. Ebay rep suggested my best alternative was to purchase something from the seller via ebay and thus i could then request the sellers address to return the item. I have also had a great conversation with Citizens Advice who are supporting my small claims court action and have also instigated trading standards. Im going to claim for my full loss plus the costs of having to buy the items else where, my various expenses and the court fee. This could add upto around 300! I will let you know how this proceeds. Scott
jambo99 likes this.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #53
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
I would not recommend you make a test purchase to get the address, if it goes to court the seller could then claim that the first transaction must have been good as you made a second purchase.
markmifsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #54
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV
Yes, please do keep us updated.
lisa110rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #55
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

This was the recommendation by the very helpful ebay rep and was the only way i could get the address and then tie back the paypal payment (which is the same as the funds i previously sent tbe money too). Even after spraking with CA i cant see how else i was going to get the address the send the court documents to.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #56
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Various.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2oty View Post
Spoke at length to both ebay...
Did you ask the ebay guy why this seller wasn't required to be registered as a business seller? He clearly is operating as a business.

Bus. sellers are required to post their address on every listing

Last edited by neilrr; 12-10-2016 at 04:00 PM.
neilrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #57
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:

Did you ask the ebay guy why this seller wasn't required to be registered as a business seller? He clearly is operating as a business.

Bus. sellers are required to post their address on every listing
No, i never mentioned that nor did the rep prompt that. I will raise that next time im onto them.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #58
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK350, Nissan GTiR
Quote:
Because they're also dodging paying the business listing fees as well as scamming parts?
Pontoneer likes this.
PobodY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #59
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2008 E350 CGI estate, 2004 E55K Estate, 1994 SL 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmifsud View Post
That site is a con. claims to have results for criminal issues, divorces and marriages for my email.

All it will really know is the IP address of my email server and nothing else.
It was very useful when I was sorting out the true owner of my SL500 a year ago, but I have not used it since. It was free then.
E55BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #60
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2008 E350 CGI estate, 2004 E55K Estate, 1994 SL 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmifsud View Post
I would not recommend you make a test purchase to get the address, if it goes to court the seller could then claim that the first transaction must have been good as you made a second purchase.
In response to which you produce this email thread. Civil action to recover money is to the civil standard of proof - balance of probabilities. What is the probability that the OP would have created this thread, then bought a small item, just so he could try to recover 120 fraudulently? Quite small, I suggest.
E55BOF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch, detective, internet, jwautos77@hotmailcom, parts, required, scammer