Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

View Poll Results: Should Britain Exit the EU?
Leave 105 64.02%
Remain 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree43Likes
Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #571
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkyy View Post
Interesting read from across the pond

Brexit: A Very British Revolution - WSJ
Yes - but written by a Scot who also happens to be editor of the Spectator.

Edit: And his position on Brexit here:

With some sadness, I’ll vote to Leave an undemocratic and decaying institution that stopped helping Europe some time ago

Last edited by Patagonian; 26-06-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #572
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
Agreed...already stated we are the 5th biggest economy in the world, the worry is dealing with the arrogant culture of Brussels, + they wont want to give to much away to discourage other country's following...

Key for the UK is the calibre of our negotiation team members, they need to be the best in the business, clear objectives, approach and strategic control, to get the best possible deals and agreements ...currently no one in Government stands out to lead this crucial activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryce View Post
There's too much at stake not get some sort of agreement.

In particular both sides have a duty to their nationals who are on the wrong side of the split.

My concern is that the the UK has forgotten how to deal properly - and that as a more complex exntity the EU isn't able t deal properly or in a tumely fashion.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #573
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB SL AMG View Post
Key for the UK is the calibre of our negotiation team members, they need to be the best in the business, clear objectives, approach and strategic control, to get the best possible deals and agreements ...currently no one in Government stands out to lead this crucial activity
I don't suppose there are really any experts in this type of thing. Although note that both Algeria and Greenland annexed themselves from the EEC in '62 and '85 respectively (Wiki).

Wondering whether the lead negotiator needs to be in the Government at all. Not suggesting we send somebody like the ex Envoy to the Middle East, but other names of a similar vintage spring to mind.
Old 26-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #574
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Perhaps, rather than politicians, it should be a team comprised of business people and non-business negotiators, eg people from science, academia, etc..? I would suggest MOTP, but don't know how we'd decide upon who?
Old 26-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #575
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
The Government certainly need to lead it, but the team in my opinion needs to be 'best fit and expertise' for the job, regardless of what party...the worry is after Dave's last deal, I feel they need to look further afield maybe into the world of global business, not sure how this would work but must be possible as the Government already have high profile business advisors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonian View Post
I don't suppose there are really any experts in this type of thing. Although note that both Algeria and Greenland annexed themselves from the EEC in '62 and '85 respectively (Wiki).

Wondering whether the lead negotiator needs to be in the Government at all. Not suggesting we send somebody like the ex Envoy to the Middle East, but other names of a similar vintage spring to mind.

Last edited by DSB SL AMG; 26-06-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #576
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonian View Post
Wondering whether the lead negotiator needs to be in the Government at all.
No they don't. I think this is a task where the overall remit is set by the politicians but the actual job of negotiation is for competent bureacrats.
Old 26-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #577
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2014 E220 CDI; 2015 SL400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisEdu View Post
Perhaps, rather than politicians, it should be a team comprised of business people and non-business negotiators, eg people from science, academia, etc..? I would suggest MOTP, but don't know how we'd decide upon who?

Is there any legal (or constitutional) compulsion that those negotiating/agreeing trade deals be an elected member of parliament I wonder?
Old 26-06-2016, 12:29 AM   #578
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

My question was answered just as I asked it....
Old 26-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #579
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Refreshing to see a level headed response from Ms Merkel

Brexit: Merkel says 'no need to be nasty' in leaving talks - BBC News
Old 26-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #580

Car: Vito on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red C220 View Post
Refreshing to see a level headed response from Ms Merkel

Brexit: Merkel says 'no need to be nasty' in leaving talks - BBC News
I'm sure I read we are Germany's biggest customer or certainly one of them very tough times for them too in negotiating the EU punishing us would inadvertently punish Germany too
Old 26-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #581
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm sure I read we are Germany's biggest customer or certainly one of them very tough times for them too in negotiating the EU punishing us would inadvertently punish Germany too
Precisely! Maybe they'll tell Juncker to shut it or do one!?
Old 26-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #582
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013
There has been talk of a need to set up a new ministry to deal with Brexit.

Apparently that task at hand it is quite complex and very time consuming - and to ensure optimal result it will require a senior government minister and will be staffed by experienced civil servants.
Old 26-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #583

Car: Vito on order
Food for thought

Why the Article 50 notification is important ? Jack of Kent blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyy For This Useful Post:
Druk (26-06-2016), markjay (26-06-2016), Rayny (26-06-2016)
Old 26-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #584
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

From The Telegraph:

'One option will be to simply recreate EU laws as British statute. But Civil Service insiders expect a new Brexit government to opt for something much more radical, and to use the opportunity of “throwing off the shackles” to re-regulate Britain.

It means that the Government would have to do three acts simultaneous: negotiate a new deal with Brussels, win a series of major bilateral trade deals around the world, and revise its own governance as EU law recedes.

Running the show would be an effective “Ministry for Brexit”, under a senior minister.

Officials expect the scrapping of EU law could result in an avalanche of new legislation in every corner of Whitehall – perhaps 25 Bills in every Queen’s Speech for a decade.

Hundreds of Treasury lawyers and experts would have to be hired for areas – such as health and safety, financial services and employment – where Britain had lost competence to Brussels. Meanwhile, a Trade Ministry will be required, with hundreds of new negotiators, to establish new deals around the world.'
Old 26-06-2016, 01:10 AM   #585
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Very interesting read.
Closed Thread

Tags
referendum