Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

OT (OFF Topic) Forums PC/IT and Other Car Marques Forum & Gallery inside. Jokes, mortgages, family, gardening, flossing etc as usual. "Unsuitable" material will not be tolerated! Religion and politics can offend, so are not permitted in this forum. Football topics are also not allowed, as they often turn nasty.

Old 20-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Peugeot 403 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellow View Post
I don't get a VAT reciept.
You do if you press the "Receipt" button.
Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dieselman For This Useful Post:
Bellow (20-03-2012)
Old 20-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #32

Car: E270CDI Avantgarde Station wagon, 380SL, ML420
I like the idea in Sweden where each license plate is chipped and pinned by the government, who also pactually produces it. Frawking one is about 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% impossible. Also, there are no ridiculous personalised plates with incorrectly-spaced letters and numbers spelling out the owner's sexual proclivities or unclean habits, let alone his or her nickname.

tac
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Peugeot 403 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjpowell View Post
There is a petrol station in Rotherham that claims to have a device that can rise out of the entrance/exit it to puncture tyres.

No idea if it works though.
Those BMW runflats really do work then.
Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #34
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: w211 r230
Our local ASDA, the cheapest in the area, has a filling station with no one to man it. Just drive up to pump, stick your card in and pin you can then fill to max 99. Press a button for a receipt if you want one and off you go. Very easy and quick with little overheads for ASDA.
donubenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #35
Banned
Threadstarter

Car: '01 E55 : '99 E55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewyboy View Post
That sounds extraordinary.

Under what circumstances did that happen?
I had just been to the MB dealer to order a key (this was in 2007) so I had all my paperwork with me, I was driving up the road right into a ANPR trap where they were stood in the road waving people in.
They told me I had no insurance so I produce my folder with everything in it, they said they didn't care because all they were bothered about was what the database said.
I tried ringing the insurance company but couldn't get through so the police said they were taking my car, I asked if my mate could pick it up with his trade plates and garage insurance and they said no.
The insurance company were at fault for not putting me on the database but the cops were bang out of order because I had everything with me, also they let a Polish guy drive off because he gave some BS excuse...
More like he was too hard to track down.
I had to ring the company until they answered later ( car had been stolen by then) and get them to put me on the database, go miles the next day to pick it up AND pay.
A nasty letter to the company got my money back in two days.

The system is flawed with it not being instant because if while you are waiting to be put on the data base you get a pull and it's late at night, or in my case can't get through to the company you get your car towed.
Don't get me wrong, the ANPR is great for getting uninsured drivers off the road BUT it needs to be up to date.
SHAUNE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Range Rover Vogue, BMW X5 and Pogie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAUNE55

I had just been to the MB dealer to order a key (this was in 2007) so I had all my paperwork with me, I was driving up the road right into a ANPR trap where they were stood in the road waving people in.
They told me I had no insurance so I produce my folder with everything in it, they said they didn't care because all they were bothered about was what the database said.
I tried ringing the insurance company but couldn't get through so the police said they were taking my car, I asked if my mate could pick it up with his trade plates and garage insurance and they said no.
The insurance company were at fault for not putting me on the database but the cops were bang out of order because I had everything with me, also they let a Polish guy drive off because he gave some BS excuse...
More like he was too hard to track down.
I had to ring the company until they answered later ( car had been stolen by then) and get them to put me on the database, go miles the next day to pick it up AND pay.
A nasty letter to the company got my money back in two days.

The system is flawed with it not being instant because if while you are waiting to be put on the data base you get a pull and it's late at night, or in my case can't get through to the company you get your car towed.
Don't get me wrong, the ANPR is great for getting uninsured drivers off the road BUT it needs to be up to date.
Not the first story like this that i have heard
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, uninsured