Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > OT (OFF Topic) Forums > MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum Had a Mercedes and changed it for another Marque? Bought another non-Mercedes car? Discuss here!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

VW Polo headlight bulb AAAGGHHH

I have today replaced the offside headlight bulb in my wifes 2006 Polo. I thought it was going to take 2 minutes - ended up moving the car into the garage as it got dark. Unbelievable - had to remove fuel filter housing - which itself was a bit of a devil because of the location of the mounting bolts and even with that obstruction out of the way it was a struggle with a lead light to see what I was doing behind the headlight. I had to use a socket set ratchet plus extension bar, flexible joint, T40 torx socket, screwdriver; all to change a bulb!

I love my W124!
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #2

Car: 2007 W251 R320 CDi
Had the same problem changing side light bulb on 2003 Polo. Found it easier to remove the bumper (30 minutes work), remove light units and replace both bulbs at the same time, but must admit, it is a pain
Dunhamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK 220CDi & VFR 800Fi-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
it was a struggle with a lead light to see what I was doing behind the headlight. I had to use a socket set ratchet plus extension bar, flexible joint, T40 torx socket, screwdriver; all to change a bulb!

I had to do the same for my W209 CLK, so not just VW at fault here.

Russ
rf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 230CE
Wifes Rover 400 is just as bad, unless you have the hands of a 5 year old.
CE230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 1996 E320 Coupe
Nothing new here - I seem to remember BBC Watchdog did a piece on the last series, reporting that a Megane required around two hours labour dismantling the front of the car.
del320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamkid View Post
Had the same problem changing side light bulb on 2003 Polo. Found it easier to remove the bumper (30 minutes work), remove light units and replace both bulbs at the same time, but must admit, it is a pain

I looked at that optin as well and started to remove the grille but it is all one big piece (mine is a 2006 model) - for interest next time how does the bumper come off?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Alfa 156 1.8TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by del320 View Post
Nothing new here - I seem to remember BBC Watchdog did a piece on the last series, reporting that a Megane required around two hours labour dismantling the front of the car.
Fifth Gear as well - circa 100 for dealer to do it wasn't it, I think the RAC guy they got in took 40 minutes or so.
stevesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
On my wife's Honda I had to open the bonnet.....................
crockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockers View Post
On my wife's Honda I had to open the bonnet.....................
Exactly what I was expecting to do with the Polo. By coincidence the tail light bulb went in the W124 estate today; it was the nearside so I did have to take out the spare wheel, must have taken a total of 2 or 3 mins max.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2010 BMW F07 GT, 2002 W203 C320 Elegance
Quote:
Fiat Stilo is like that too, tried to help my bro-in-law with changing some headlight bulbs, turns out it's a bumper off job Thought it would be really simple, or at the worst a lights out job (like the MK2 Ford Focus) Apparently Fiat dealers were told to do bulb changes free of charge...

Even the rear lights on the Stilo need the light cluster to be removed (although the W163 ML has that flaw too!). At least Merc make it easy to remove the rear light clusters, on the Stilo it was a pain in the
W203 - C320 Elegance (with Mods)| Full AMG Styling kit | AMG boot lip spoiler | 18 AMG Styling III Gunmetal | Bilstein B12 suspension kit| Full 2005+ appearance update (Clear Halogens, Clear fog lights, facelift grille, LED mirror indicators, Facelift rear lights, Chrome highlight door mouldings) | C32 Exhaust System | 2005+ Sport Pack Upgraded Disks & Calipers

Next Mod/s... thinking about it!
A-AvantGarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #11

Car: 2007 W251 R320 CDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I looked at that optin as well and started to remove the grille but it is all one big piece (mine is a 2006 model) - for interest next time how does the bumper come off?
Not sure if method is the same but remove grill item with badge on and the two lower air vents. Each side of wheel arch there are 4 torx screws to remove. Along bottom of bumper there are 8 torx screws and 4 plastic clips. At the front of the car there are several torx type bolts to remove (hidden behind the black plastic trims that have been removed). There is also an electrical connection to disconnect, not sure what it was. Pull away the bumper at the wheel arch end (it should have slots to hold it in place) and remove. The rest is plain sailing!! Need 2 pair of hands to replace, watch out for the slots on the side when refitting the bumper. I put the car on ramps to make access easier, no need to remove wheels. For info, the bumper removal was very similar on a 1996 Polo
Dunhamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #12

Car: Mercedes C230K Sport
Quote:
Yup this was exposed on Fith Gear too, see the video here:

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....ane+Lightbulbs
gurpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
Yup to do the offside one on my wife's Audi A4 meant taking apart the engine air intake etc. to get to it (the handbook did guide you through this though). The nearside one was a doddle.
BTB 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

The Polo handbook just says take cover off bulb and replace . Then recommends taking it to a dealer as there may be some sharp edges that could cut your hand. How pathetic is that? No mention that you can not even see the cover let alone get to it! And no mention of the two small torx screws holding the headlight retaining bracket in place - which on mine had obviously been incorrectly fitted before because the bracket just fell out....I am tempted to go and look at a Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris - everything I look at on the polo looks like it is difficult to do / get to - like getting the undertray off involves about 15 torx screws in slightly awkward locations. Maybe it is just a feature of newer cars - my next newest one is 8 years old.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Have to admit -- I have never checked a car before buying to see how easy this is... I'm lucky that the W203 and Honda CR-V are a doddle....but if and when we change either I will now always check this.
crockers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aaagghhh, bulb, headlight, polo