Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion > Insurance & Finance
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Insurance & Finance Searching for the best deal? advice, tips and information on insuring your pride and joy.

Old 20-03-2004, 06:30 AM   #16
Administrator

Car: Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Yeah, shame the insurance company never asked how many nights a week I spend at my girlfriends.

Coventry D* and parked on the road, normally a few streets away as it's very busy!

Hmm, where's that paging alarm.....
Old 20-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: F20 118d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC230K
Yeah, shame the insurance company never asked how many nights a week I spend at my girlfriends.

Coventry D* and parked on the road, normally a few streets away as it's very busy!

Im an E* ... but people know its my car
fuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Peugeot 403 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC230K

But they did ask you where your car is "normally" parked. Be careful Graham.
Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Peugeot 403 Convertible
Having looked at my local postcodes I would say it is a very good reflection of the risk, from both observation and experiance.
This also suits the demographics of the population....no more details.

In town there is a "refer"...err.."no quote" whereas I live in a B.
Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 01:04 AM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ML 300CDI
I would interested to know if there is any mention of post codes starting with BT (Northern Ireland) . I suspect they are off the scale.
l5foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #21
The Modfather

Car: CLS55 AMG
woohoo! I live in an 'A' area
KillerHERTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD), E55 2004 Silver
oh dear E*! guess the garage keeps that one down!
Alps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SLK230
me E* too. when i moved from a C area (3 miles away) my wallet took a severe beating , but at least i'm only staggering distance from the pubs and clubs
simonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #24
Administrator

Car: CLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps
oh dear E*! guess the garage keeps that one down!
Garage makes very little difference in my experience, garage, driveway or road have always been basically the same for me.

CLK55 AMG | Mods: ViseeO, AMG mats, Flat bonnet ornament, Club Pedals
Shude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Worth comparing insurance risk rating with entries on following:

http://www.craptowns.com/

Example:

Motherwell

"The very name strikes fear into the hardiest of people. Situated in the heart of darkest Lanarkshire, Motherwell is to `must see` towns as Rose West is to the good parenting guide.

The town is best described as "Grey". This doesn`t just describe the buildings and streets, but the people as well.

The town itself is merely an L-shaped shopping precinct with about 50 shops, most of which go bust very quickly and get replaced.

This sparkling centre is surrounded by a ring road that the council like to keep interesting for drivers by chopping and changing it from a one way system one week and dual carriageway the next. Watching unwary drivers being forced to readapt to their new surroundings at the last minute makes for the only entertainment that the locals have (apart from standing at the cross watching drunken patrons from The Tavern and Horseshoe bars battle after a Rangers v Celtic game).

If you are over 65 or are a woman, then there is an abundance of clubs and bingo halls to attend. If you are not an elderly woman however, forget it. Motherwell boasts no cinemas, no swimming baths, no snooker/pool halls, no theatres, no restuarants (McDonalds excepted) and nothing that even comes close to fun, unless you include the red light area known as Strathclyde Park.

This town was known as "Ghost Town" by the CB radio enthusiasts for a very good reason. This however, is paradise compared to the housing estates in the area such as the beautiful Forgewood where the local shop has barbed wire on the roof and permanent metal shutters (complete with racist graffitti) and a crime rate higher per head than New York.

If that doesn`t tickle your fancy, try exotic Craigneuk where hand grenade attacks and drive by shootings are de rigeur"
Satch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: F20 118d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch
Worth comparing insurance risk rating with entries on following:

http://www.craptowns.com/

Example:

Motherwell

"The very name strikes fear into the hardiest of people. Situated in the heart of darkest Lanarkshire, Motherwell is to `must see` towns as Rose West is to the good parenting guide.

The town is best described as "Grey". This doesn`t just describe the buildings and streets, but the people as well.

The town itself is merely an L-shaped shopping precinct with about 50 shops, most of which go bust very quickly and get replaced.

This sparkling centre is surrounded by a ring road that the council like to keep interesting for drivers by chopping and changing it from a one way system one week and dual carriageway the next. Watching unwary drivers being forced to readapt to their new surroundings at the last minute makes for the only entertainment that the locals have (apart from standing at the cross watching drunken patrons from The Tavern and Horseshoe bars battle after a Rangers v Celtic game).

If you are over 65 or are a woman, then there is an abundance of clubs and bingo halls to attend. If you are not an elderly woman however, forget it. Motherwell boasts no cinemas, no swimming baths, no snooker/pool halls, no theatres, no restuarants (McDonalds excepted) and nothing that even comes close to fun, unless you include the red light area known as Strathclyde Park.

This town was known as "Ghost Town" by the CB radio enthusiasts for a very good reason. This however, is paradise compared to the housing estates in the area such as the beautiful Forgewood where the local shop has barbed wire on the roof and permanent metal shutters (complete with racist graffitti) and a crime rate higher per head than New York.

If that doesn`t tickle your fancy, try exotic Craigneuk where hand grenade attacks and drive by shootings are de rigeur"
Why Choose motherwell ?
fuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer
Why Choose motherwell ?
Why Motherwell? Nothing more scientific than a very unhappy experience on the road with a form of life which looked human but was clearly kittted out with the brain of a whelk.
Old 24-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
Administrator

Car: CLK55 AMG
Just checked the postcode for the house I'm moving to in a couple of months, going from an E* to a B!

CLK55 AMG | Mods: ViseeO, AMG mats, Flat bonnet ornament, Club Pedals
Shude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #29
Administrator

Car: Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I have gone from F => B => A => C!!!

I noticed a big drop in premium F => B. They actually tried to increase my premium going from B => A (I told the broker to stop lying to me, went direct to the insurers office, working my way to the correct department from the office's reception number and explaining my story and disgust - got it for no change in the end). Recently gone from A to C and there was no noticable increase - in fact none for a mid policy address change.

Last edited by GrahamC230K; 24-02-2006 at 11:57 AM.
GrahamC230K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Per the Association of British Insurers:

"In setting premiums for buildings and contents cover, most insurers will start with the postcode of the property to be insured. Postcodes enable insurers to identify a geographical area, thereby allowing premiums to better reflect their claims experience in that locality. However, postcodes have two major disadvantages – first, the insurance industry has no control or influence over the Royal Mail’s allocation of postcodes and second, an individual postcode may contain within its boundary, areas of higher or lower risk than the average. This information is generally not known to individual companies or the industry as a whole.

The postcode is the base upon which insurers calculate premiums. A number of other factors are taken into account when calculating the full premium such as a policyholder’s previous claims history, the sum(s) insured and the nature of the items to be insured.

Not all insurers place particular postcodes in the same rating bands and competition between insurers means premiums can vary considerably for similar risks in the same locality. It is worthwhile shopping around."

Tags
codes, companies, insurance, post