Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
lxi
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SL63 AMG, prior to that A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_car View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Especially as you say, you have not seen the incidents. I have seen younger and older chaps, open their car doors in a selfish fashion.

It is not always the female 4x4 driver (who get blamed for so many things), it is usually folk of both sexes and all ages, who are just ignorant/careless/jealous idiots.
no problem with you disagreeing - there are some other factors to be taken into account though which I didn't mention.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a reasonably affluent area where the percentage of 4x4s to normal vehicles will be much higher than the UK average - the place is crawling with them. I'm not talking about the working 4x4 vehicles, just the so-called Chelsea tractors. The vast majority are driven by women. I have no statistics to back up either of the above, but I have lived in the same small town for 20 years and certain things are not hard to see.

Indeed there are plenty of ignorant/careless/jealous idiots as well though!
lxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxi View Post
no problem with you disagreeing - there are some other factors to be taken into account though which I didn't mention.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a reasonably affluent area where the percentage of 4x4s to normal vehicles will be much higher than the UK average - the place is crawling with them. I'm not talking about the working 4x4 vehicles, just the so-called Chelsea tractors.
We also live in an affluent part of North Birmingham and there are many 4x4's, including my own, that are possibly never used off-road. We are not Farmer's, we just happen to have a 4x4, because we like them (for many reasons).

All I am trying to say, is that, it is not always the stereo-typical woman in a 4x4 denting folks cars in car parks. It is all kinds of idiots, of all ages, who have something in common, that is selfishness and stupidity.

The fact that my partner sometimes drives my Range Rover, does not make her someone who would be careless when parking, or an inconsiderate person in any way. It's time for predudice against women drivers and/or 4x4 drivers to be stopped, it is utter nonsense.
Classic_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '13 SLK 250CDI, '14 Lexus Hybrid and a Nissan Qashqai in Russia
Something I've noticed over the years, if I park my car carefully and properly, almost invariably some knumbskull will seek it out and park way too close. If, on the other hand, I park in a carefully crafted "bad driver, angled and sloppy looking" way, no-one gets close! So, for peace of mind, park at a sloppy angle and look as if you're a discustingly bad driver yourself!
bpsorrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bpsorrel For This Useful Post:
350_Coupe (08-11-2010), NOMONEYBUTAMERC (08-11-2010), SPX (08-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

^^^ I've found that also, sad to say.
Classic_car is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_car For This Useful Post:
bpsorrel (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_car View Post
^^^ I've found that also, sad to say.
Strange isn't it. I can only assume an element of fear kreeps in and even the brain dead don't want to see there little pride and joy damaged by a perceived maniac!! I was once accused of being too wealthy to care what happened to my precious Mercedes! Get that!! hahahaha!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '87 W124 230E Auto - '05 Citroen C2 - '05 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
The line I've had said to me several times is "if you can afford... you don't need to worry about the dents".

What bollarks.

The French are even worse for this, my Mondeo has picked up several dings and had half the front bumper removed in supermarket car parks in less then six weeks.
c2raig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
PXW
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 E280CDi A/G Estate - now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsorrel View Post
Something I've noticed over the years, if I park my car carefully and properly, almost invariably some knumbskull will seek it out and park way too close. If, on the other hand, I park in a carefully crafted "bad driver, angled and sloppy looking" way, no-one gets close! So, for peace of mind, park at a sloppy angle and look as if you're a discustingly bad driver yourself!
That's probably right. I parked my MGB in town the other week, very carefully making sure it was in the centre of the space to minimise risk from other cars. The MGB is quite narrow so it gives a reasonable margin for safety.

When I returned, some absolute clown had parked with two wheels, not close to the line, not even on the line but fully across the line and fully in my space to within a few inches of my car
PXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXW View Post
That's probably right. I parked my MGB in town the other week, very carefully making sure it was in the centre of the space to minimise risk from other cars. The MGB is quite narrow so it gives a reasonable margin for safety.

When I returned, some absolute clown had parked with two wheels, not close to the line, not even on the line but fully across the line and fully in my space to within a few inches of my car
Beggars belief doesn't it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bpsorrel For This Useful Post:
Pontoneer (09-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
SPX
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: .
Quote:
I have taken to the 'parking at a sloppy angle' to avoid those that park to close......
I went and did a bit of shopping yesterday in the Vito and parked at the other end of the near-empty car park. I came back 30 minutes to find me boxed in by a car either side! The car park was still only half full and there were plenty of empty spaces about, so why park next to me???
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

This is something I'd love to know the answer to! One day, when I'm not in a hurry and in the right mood, I'm going to wait until the offender returns to his/her car and ask!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
SPX
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: .
Quote:
This is something I'd love to know the answer to! One day, when I'm not in a hurry and in the right mood, I'm going to wait until the offender returns to his/her car and ask!
I can only think that it is some kind of skewed pack mentality?
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPX For This Useful Post:
bpsorrel (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
DAILY MASH on PARKING

I suggest a quick visit to the Daily Mash site where keying in "parking" in the search box will reveal a wealth of comment on parking issues. The Daily Mash - Home
I would highlight
. DISABLED PARKING SPACES MORE ALLURING THAN EVER
and
PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO F***ING PARK ON BRINK OF EXTINCTION
and
PARKING AT WORK NOW HARDEST PART OF MOST JOBS

as worthy of perusal. ---the " profanity averse" should look away now

Last edited by grober; 08-11-2010 at 11:26 AM.
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grober For This Useful Post:
bpsorrel (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by salska View Post
My god you are a patient man. You should have screamed Booo at the top of your voice and watch her reaction. As luck would have it she'd no doubt be death!
If she was death, I'd give her a very wide berth.
timk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timk For This Useful Post:
bpsorrel (08-11-2010), SPX (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Stunning SL350
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffo View Post
sat in sainsbury's car park eating my salad bowl that i had just bought when an old granny drives up alongside me. 'bit close' i thought (she didn't need to be).

Bang - she opens the door and it slams into mine. It was not too bad, so i didn't react too much. I was going to wait until she got out and then check it.

Bang - she does it again. I gave her a stern look.

Bang - she does it a third time!

At which point i lost it and wound the window down -'for christ sake - 3 times - what are you playing at!!'

she apologised - and suggested that i was over-reacting. Not once, but 3 times! That's not over-reacting!

I got out and checked the door and there was no damage - thank god.

I hate grannies in car parks!

leave the grannies alone.......
blaser24nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser24nig View Post
leave the grannies alone.......
I agree.....I am married to an ''old granny'' and she maintains a healthy respect for our property as well as the property of others.

I am however prepared to consider trading in my old Granny for something with fewer miles on the clock and better coachwork !!!***???

Mic
MicB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MicB For This Useful Post:
blaser24nig (08-11-2010)

Tags
car, grannies, parks