Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Old 23-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Banned

Retrieve the platinum from catalyst and spark plugs

As stated on the BBC Breakfast news this morning about stolen catalysts. Each catalyst contains a gram of platinum. How do you retrieve the platinum from catalysts and spark plugs?

Didn't I read in another thread someone drilled all the honey-comb stuff from the catalyst and dump it in the bin?
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

do you really expect to get an answer on how to commit a crime?
recycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
As stated on the BBC Breakfast news this morning about stolen catalysts. Each catalyst contains a gram of platinum. How do you retrieve the platinum from catalysts and spark plugs?

Didn't I read in another thread someone drilled all the honey-comb stuff from the catalyst and dump it in the bin?
I did.

I however chose not to sit with a pile of ceramic, a ball mill and some very nasty chemicals to recover a bit of platinum. Much easier to just go to work.
fredfloggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Banned
Threadstarter

Wait a minute, I didn't steal those catalysts. Aren't you a recycled enthus, Recycled?
Old 23-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Was speaking to my sister in USA (MA) - this is a big problem over there...+ fuel theft is now a rising crime -- no syphoning -- just drilling a hole in the fuel tank..(I expect they are smoking weed at the same time.....man....and having a blast..lol)
crockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Banned

Car: R230 SL500
CAT recyclers call on all garages to collect the fault CATS and pay for them
television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W203 C200K Cubanite
Fuel theft will become a widespread crime. Its inevitable. I topped up my C200K Sunday from just below half full to full and it was nearly 50.
A few more price hikes and a full tank will be approaching 100.
God knows what a bigger engined Merc would cost to refuel from empty. I am now REALLY glad I kept my senses about me and bought a C200 as opposed to something more tempting but less frugal. I fear my next Merc might be an oil burning A class. Not my first choice it must be said.
verytalldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Banned

Car: R230 SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verytalldave View Post
Fuel theft will become a widespread crime. Its inevitable. I topped up my C200K Sunday from just below half full to full and it was nearly 50.
God knows what a bigger engined Merc would cost to refuel from empty. I am now REALLY glad I kept my senses about me and bought a C200 as opposed to something more tempting but less frugal. I fear my next Merc might be an oil burning A class. Not my first choice it must be said.
I put in 83.60 worth on Sunday,, 76 liters
television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytalldave View Post
Me too VTD. I remember someone smuggly waffling on about having a 47 litre fuel slurping beast when they never went faster than walking pace, yes sure , I can afford fuel, the point is, I don't want to have to.
fredfloggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E320 Coupe
Mercedes should always give you an allowance for any cat replaced. It is in my literature.

Those not given an allowance on their invoice have been done.
kth286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Banned
Threadstarter

There is going to be more Merc defectors and next year at this time there will be less members. I am thinking of having a BM3 320i all the fault of the Government because of the road tax and fuel.

I can't find any Merc other than Smart that are favourable in terms of road tax and fuel.
Old 24-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #12

Exclamation

After filling my 53 E class estate 320 cdi with 90 of diesel. I am now realising why so many tanks are being drilled or fuel pipes being cut.
Can anyone tell me what the new excise duty for my car will be in December. I saw a Suzuki Vitara today with a 400 Road tax.
Geff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
There is going to be more Merc defectors and next year at this time there will be less members. I am thinking of having a BM3 320i all the fault of the Government because of the road tax and fuel.

I can't find any Merc other than Smart that are favourable in terms of road tax and fuel.
My A class does 52.3 mpg combined in automatic form and 54.3 in manual.

My brother gets over 60mpg from his A160cdi manual.

Mercedes new Bluetec engines will be here soon, the cleanest and most economical diesels in the world, they claim.
hawk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #14
Administrator

Car: Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by television View Post
CAT recyclers call on all garages to collect the fault CATS and pay for them
Yes. The tuner I use (who ends up with a lots of cats and cat material) gets good money for them.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #15
Banned
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geff View Post
After filling my 53 E class estate 320 cdi with 90 of diesel. I am now realising why so many tanks are being drilled or fuel pipes being cut.
Can anyone tell me what the new excise duty for my car will be in December. I saw a Suzuki Vitara today with a 400 Road tax.
Help yourself

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Tags
catalyst, platinum, plugs, retrieve, spark