Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Old 19-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
Driving a Mercedes in the snow

Who here finds their mercedes terrible in the snow, whenever there is snow my parents C230k slids around like mad, and the same with all the merceds owners I know. In my area come snow you see loads of mercedes stuck at the slightest hill, It's not just because it's rear wheel drive because spoke to alot of bmw drivers and they done have such a problem, plus can see them driving about not too bad. Was on slight hill back when we had that snow in london where there was a stand still, poor guy in a lovely silver SLK he was just sliding down the slpi road had to slid into the curb. Was woundering how some of you found your cars in the snow?
mercedes lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Administrator

Car: Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Rather poor in the snow.

High power, high torque, fat wheels, rwd doesn't make for good snow driving.

ASR and ESP is best switched off in snow too, or it just cuts power and wont let you move.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: One that's too slow…
Smile Snow? Snow Problem!

Use my V class MPV every year in the Bavarian, Swiss and Italian Alps, lots of snow, no problem!
Never noticed any other Merc Owners having any particular problems either.
vito113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

yeah but vito113 in the alps do u fit snow chains or winter tyres because my german mate said they fit them in germany makes a whole lot of diference plus is your vito rear wheel drive?
Old 19-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
Administrator

Car: Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito113
Use my V class MPV every year in the Bavarian, Swiss and Italian Alps, lots of snow, no problem!
Never noticed any other Merc Owners having any particular problems either.
I think in a proper depth of snow it is easier to drive than the ice/slush we get.

Drivers in the Alps will have at least winter if not snow tyres, a bit different to our all season/summer tyres.
Old 19-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Thats what the german person said if you have snow all the time you adapt not like here 1 day its snow next its an ice rink
Old 19-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Thumbs up Michelin Agilis M&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes lover
yeah but vito113 in the alps do u fit snow chains or winter tyres because my german mate said they fit them in germany makes a whole lot of diference plus is your vito rear wheel drive?
Mines fitted from new with Michelin Agilis Tyres. They are M&S rated and the first set were changed at 76,000 miles!!!

Front wheel drive, but I use Winter mode on the Autobox :-)
vito113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Smile Gentle throttle usage and an Autobox

I always found that Automatics were easier to drive in mucky conditions, select Winter Mode (second gear starting) and off you go. Scandinavians like them too! Your right Graham, deeper snow is a bit easier than the muck we get, but it surprising how quickly you adapt to snow driving. I think a lot of the problems could be down to the fact that most Mercs tend to have tyres like Pirelli 6000's etc, these have almost no shoulder pattern and its the tyre edges that provide nearly all then traction in snow. My Agilis' have a normal road pattern but the shoulders are quite notchy to give them the M&S rating.
Old 20-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Apart from the tyres - we just don't get enough practise and don't know how to drice in ice and snow generally. The number of people you see stuck in a rut of snow or ice revving their engines with the wheels - front or back -spinning like crazy

Having said that some cars are better than others. Many many many years ago I had a Chrysler(when they were Talbot) Sunbeam. The weatherman only had to say ice and it did a pirrouette I've never had a car that spun like that one did. The best I had was a Mini. Wheels on each corner and fwd meant it just climed over any snow rather then trying to plough through it. Mind I do remember one very bad year when the snow was so deep and had been compacted on the roads by other cars and buses that a couple of times, I got stuck in others wheel ruts and slid along on my sump

But for all of us who might meet some of the lovely stuff in the next few days - take care and if any doubt, leave the precious one at home and get a bus
2003 SLK 320 (Evil Edna) - silver, black leather, auto, hfs, xenons, wood, big grin , Alloy pedals mods - Silver grille, PIAA Platinum White sidelights, MB Club vinyl, Aluminium TDH, shiny door pins, cuddly Eeyore - home and safe , Dottie now AWOL !BIG emag, shiny brake calipers, SprintBooster and Vario Roof remote control gizmo, 17" Adharaz alloys

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito113
I always found that Automatics were easier to drive in mucky conditions, select Winter Mode (second gear starting) and off you go. Scandinavians like them too! Your right Graham, deeper snow is a bit easier than the muck we get, but it surprising how quickly you adapt to snow driving. I think a lot of the problems could be down to the fact that most Mercs tend to have tyres like Pirelli 6000's etc, these have almost no shoulder pattern and its the tyre edges that provide nearly all then traction in snow. My Agilis' have a normal road pattern but the shoulders are quite notchy to give them the M&S rating.
Thats not the main reason because my parents A class like your Vito is front wheel drive and is very good in the snow and has same tyre style as the C230k. Your see when you get your C230k and go to drive off in slush and ice like you do with your front wheel drive vito.
Old 20-12-2003, 08:30 AM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy
Apart from the tyres - we just don't get enough practise and don't know how to drice in ice and snow generally. The number of people you see stuck in a rut of snow or ice revving their engines with the wheels - front or back -spinning like crazy

Having said that some cars are better than others. Many many many years ago I had a Chrysler(when they were Talbot) Sunbeam. The weatherman only had to say ice and it did a pirrouette I've never had a car that spun like that one did. The best I had was a Mini. Wheels on each corner and fwd meant it just climed over any snow rather then trying to plough through it. Mind I do remember one very bad year when the snow was so deep and had been compacted on the roads by other cars and buses that a couple of times, I got stuck in others wheel ruts and slid along on my sump

But for all of us who might meet some of the lovely stuff in the next few days - take care and if any doubt, leave the precious one at home and get a bus
That sounds like a lovely SLK you have. I agree with what you say I have seen people with there foot flat doing about 2 mph when there wheels are doing about 40mph and they do it all the way up the road. Out of interest have you driven your SLK yet in snow?
Old 20-12-2003, 08:43 AM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes lover
Out of interest have you driven your SLK yet in snow?
Nope - not had any yet - looking out for tomorrow and Monday though as it's forecast - ooh 'er Just lucky to live on roads that North Yorkshire Council is very good at gritting and keeping clear. If our roads are blocked, then no one else is going anywhere Triuble is it stops as soon as it hits West Yorkshire - so I can get to Harewood and no further

I have to think how I might get it out of our drive as it does have a bit of a short but definite slope on it, do I go forwards or backwards? Had no prob's getting the MGF out will have to see how it goes - watch this space

btw - thanks - I do love my car and I am very pleased with it. Have had the roof down for the past three days as it's been so lovely. People look at me a bit odd as they're freezing but I'm toasty warm and enjoying the sun
2003 SLK 320 (Evil Edna) - silver, black leather, auto, hfs, xenons, wood, big grin , Alloy pedals mods - Silver grille, PIAA Platinum White sidelights, MB Club vinyl, Aluminium TDH, shiny door pins, cuddly Eeyore - home and safe , Dottie now AWOL !BIG emag, shiny brake calipers, SprintBooster and Vario Roof remote control gizmo, 17" Adharaz alloys

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 09:45 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2011 CLS350 CDI
Mine was terrible in the snow we had last year, just couldn't get the car up the slightest of hills, I tried every combination of traction control on/off, winter mode on the autobox etc.

But... the Lexus I had before was just as bad, Powerfull RWD cars with performance wheels/tyres and snow just don't go.
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
I once owned a BMW 320CSi which was absolutly useless in either snow or wet weather, Then bought a Volvo 360 GLT which was just as bad. I lived in Germany then where the winters can be quite bad. The best snow car I have ever driven was an Audi 80. I have yet to experience snow in a Merc, we dont get a lot of it in Blackpool
Ian B Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 04:46 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW X5 4.8is
I wouldn't say there is much difference in the ability of the Mercs and BMWs I've driven in bad weather - from my experience it seems to be mostly down to the tyres......from what I understand Z rated tyres don't get on too well in temperatures under 7 deg C. I don't need to have ice or snow on the ground to have problems in the M3 - if the tyres are very cold (e.g. standing in freezing conditions for a day) then I'll be spinning the wheels at 2000rpm in 3rd gear in a straight line with a feather-light throttle. Give it a couple of miles to get some heat into the tyres and it's fine - not looking forward to the white stuff arriving too much after this experience, since my C280 never had a problem with the cold, and that would barely get up my gently sloping drive in the snow!

98 C240 Sport
2k C280 Sport
2003 BMW M3 SMG Coupe
2004 BMW X5 4.8is

www.ed-r.co.uk

That V8 Noise!!
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driving, mercedes, snow