Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree13Likes

Old 04-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD convertible P/X for a W222 S350D on 1st March 2017
OP sounds like you were messed around whilst you acted in good faith throughout. No wonder you're fuming. I'd consider it a lesson that next time something similar happens, I'd go in, give an overview to whoever you're talking to, hears your side, then ask for an explanation, calmly. However, now you're out of there and time has passed, I'd put it down to experience and not waste any more time on that dealer. Best of luck with the next one!
Jaunty likes this.
gr1nch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gr1nch For This Useful Post:
Fam (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS 320
Well personally I think you should do everything you can to get to the bottom of this. Im sick and tired of hearing about garages trying to do people over by not honoring their obligations or quoting on work thats unnecessary.

I understand people saying lifes too short or yake your business elsewhere, but until garages start being held to account for trying to rip people off, it'll keep on happening.
lfckeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lfckeeper For This Useful Post:
ash59fifty-uk (05-02-2017), Fam (05-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 AM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2010 C350 CDI Sport
just hope you get an email asking for a review then you can tell them what you really think..
paul73mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul73mt View Post
just hope you get an email asking for a review then you can tell them what you really think..
I did that back in 2009 after appalling service from the dealer, and also ticked the box that said 'would you like a manager to contact you regarding the issues you raised', next time I heard from the dealer was a year later when they called me asking if I wanted to book the next service, needless to say they didn't get my custom again.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markjay For This Useful Post:
Fam (06-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
Fam
Threadstarter

Car: Mercedes C Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfckeeper View Post
Well personally I think you should do everything you can to get to the bottom of this. Im sick and tired of hearing about garages trying to do people over by not honoring their obligations or quoting on work thats unnecessary.

I understand people saying lifes too short or yake your business elsewhere, but until garages start being held to account for trying to rip people off, it'll keep on happening.
The only way business is won in my mind is through trust and the moment thats broken its near impossible to get it back. we pay a premium to expect a standard of service that is consistent through all the dealerships, but this has
only brought into question whats the point in keeping a car within the MB dealer network.

Going by the comments it sounds as though my expectations were not silly. All i wanted was a fair assessment.

I am tempted to call them up tomorrow and ask exactly what the technician said needed doing when he drove it into the workshop and and took it apart/ did his diagnostics... The other side of me is tempted to drive down and ask him the question face to face... and then escalate it further up the chain based on his response.

I think i am in agreement with lfckeeper if we all keep quiet about it nothing changes... ultimately we are paying for the service so should we not say something if it is bad?

But at the same time i take on the point about leaving it be.. and taking it as a lesson learnt.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW e39 528i Touring - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
In my experience with a similar incident. Once they have started to lie, they cannot stop it. You then start to question yourself and your own memory/sanity. I am with you 100% in that simply "moving on" leaves you exposed to moving on to somebody else who thinks that this is the way to behave. I feel that some of them feel that they have to "level the playing field" as all of their competition is/maybe also dishonest.

I was confronted with a service invoice (non-Merc) for:

New Fuel Filters & AIr Filters.
New Pads (front & Rear).
New Engine & Gear Box Oil.

This was on my wife's car. When (a few days) after getting the car back, I went to fill the wiper fluid, which was completely empty. I noticed that the fuel filter was filthy on the outside and had obviously never been removed. Not happy, I then, looked at the ,visible front brake pads - they were low and also very dirty. Pulled the dip stick to discover black engine oil - in a petrol engine.

I was fuming. Took the car back to be told "whoops one of the lads must have got the paperwork wrong". Really?

I now use one indie for all my cars and trust him 100%.
JohnEBoy likes this.

Avatar: Our two magnificent & beautiful Siberian Huskies. Gone but never forgotten - Remy & Snowy.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/membe...storation.html

brucemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #22

Car: S205 C250 BlueTEC AMG Line estate
Many years ago, I had my year old Vauxhall Cavalier serviced at the main dealer. Being a suspicious sort, the next morning, I checked that the oli and air filters had been changed and checked the oil level whilst cold.

The oil level was about half an inch above the max mark on the dipstick so I drove (slowly) back to the garage. After a while, they sheepishly informed me that the apprentice must have over-filled with oil. I asked if there was any reduction in the cost then, as I had paid for an experienced mechanic to do the work - you can guess the answer. I also asked what would they have done if I'd gone belting up the motorway with too much oil and suffered engine damage. "Oh it wouldn't have done any damage sir"! Needless to say, I had the next service done at my local independant.

Not much appears to have changed.
philsmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to philsmerc For This Useful Post:
jambo99 (10-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #23

Car: c class
My car (W212) needed a new handbrake mechanism after 5 years, same symptoms as yours, was under warranty so cannot advise on cost.
theclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
If I were to be a garage mechanic and saw a dash cam, I would be very tempted to unplug the thing, bearing in mind all the bad press.... it then might not record the journey.

Just something to think about before going in all guns blazing
lewyboy likes this.
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #25
Fam
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjpowell View Post
If I were to be a garage mechanic and saw a dash cam, I would be very tempted to unplug the thing, bearing in mind all the bad press.... it then might not record the journey.

Just something to think about before going in all guns blazing
This is possible and an option that i had considered. Due to the weather my car had gone from palladium silver to brown because of the amount of crap off of the motorway.

When i had my MOT done the guy popped open the bonnet and left his fingerprint marks something i noticed because i had been meaning to clean the car. Cleaning the car on Saturday i made a point to check whether there was a second set of hand prints again there was not any.

Now he could of done his checks without needing to open the bonnet.

I do not want to point the finger and i spoke to him today and he said that the technician checked the mechanism and that it needed re adjusting, and therefore it was not under warranty. Still seemed a bit annoyed that i wanted to take it to my inde.

I have dropped the customer service team an email asking my concerns to be addressed (preferably some footage of someone at some point in the day looking at the car) as opposed to complaining/ accusing and i have made a point of stating that i am sure that its me overthinking and someone did take a look at the car.

I will try and keep you updated, again before we pass judgement lets see what they say as i may be completely wrong.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200 CDI Sport, VW Transporter
I'm not sure how the electrics work in MB's but does the dashcam turn on when the car is unlocked, or when the car is started?

If it's when the electrics go live on unlocking, then surely the dashcam would have footage or at least audio of things happening around the car?

As I'm guessing they'd of needed to unlock it to get inside to release the bonnet catch etc
ash59fifty-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
Fam
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash59fifty-uk View Post
I'm not sure how the electrics work in MB's but does the dashcam turn on when the car is unlocked, or when the car is started?

If it's when the electrics go live on unlocking, then surely the dashcam would have footage or at least audio of things happening around the car?

As I'm guessing they'd of needed to unlock it to get inside to release the bonnet catch etc
It starts working when the electrics are turned on as its plugged into the cigarette lighter, so the car doesn't have to be running. One of the symptoms was the the handbrake light stayed on and it would beep to tell me to release the handbrake.. this will only happen when the electrics are on... i am no mechanic but how they could have checked this without even having the electronics on i am not sure.

They could have popped the bonnet and checked the handbrake and not bothered with checking for the handbrake light on the dash.

the camera would not have recorded anything as the cigarette lighter doesn't receive power until you have the electrics on.

Trying to be as fair as possible and weigh up all the possibilities....
houseboss2 likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #28

Car: AMG C63/Porsche Cayman GTS
Independent dealers often rely on the excesses of main dealers for the success of their own business. Provided they have a good reputation and can be trusted, a repair done there would hopefully be cheaper and establish the true nature of the fault. When you know the cause you will be in a better position to challenge the actions of the main dealer, or not, as the case may be.
DaveDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam View Post

They could have popped the bonnet and checked the handbrake and not bothered with checking for the handbrake light on the dash.
I'm at a loss as to why they would 'pop the bonnet' to check a handbrake mechanism ?

The last MB to have any part of the handbrake mechanism in the engine bay would have been the W110/111/112/108/109 series which had an 'umbrella' handbrake under the dash , which in turn acted on a lever affixed to the front chassis leg , and had a large wing nut adjustment on the top .

Later cars with the foot operated parking brake pull on a cable which runs down the tunnel to an adjuster under the back seat ( accessible by removing the seat and undoing an access panel ) from where the individual cable to the two back wheels run out .

Oh , and for most cars to activate the lighter , the ignition switch needs to be at least at position 1 .

" In a Mercedes-Benz , EVERY seat is First Class "

Pontoneer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoneer For This Useful Post:
Fam (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #30
Fam
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoneer View Post
I'm at a loss as to why they would 'pop the bonnet' to check a handbrake mechanism ?

The last MB to have any part of the handbrake mechanism in the engine bay would have been the W110/111/112/108/109 series which had an 'umbrella' handbrake under the dash , which in turn acted on a lever affixed to the front chassis leg , and had a large wing nut adjustment on the top .

Later cars with the foot operated parking brake pull on a cable which runs down the tunnel to an adjuster under the back seat ( accessible by removing the seat and undoing an access panel ) from where the individual cable to the two back wheels run out .

Oh , and for most cars to activate the lighter , the ignition switch needs to be at least at position 1 .
Apologies as i was not aware of exactly how the mechanism works, I have learnt something new today.

Will update all on the outcome from MB. Still waiting on them to come back after having done some investigating.

I havent been chasing as i do not have the time due to work commitments and as others have said no point in loosing sleep over it.

Tags
advice, bad, experience, needed, service