Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree25Likes

Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #76
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXW View Post
BCA used to do something called SureSell which I used to move on a car once. It was fine - you got (less a fee) whatever the car fetched in the auctionÖ..
Thatís what everyone gets when they sell a car (or indeed anything else) at auction.
E55BOF likes this.
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #77
PXW
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F
That’s what everyone gets when they sell a car (or indeed anything else) at auction.
Well, yes...the point I was making is that they seem to have stopped this now in favour of WBAC. Which is less transparent.
PXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #78
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6, Volvo XC60 D4 & Jaguar XJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
Thatís what everyone gets when they sell a car (or indeed anything else) at auction.
Except an auctioneer that rhymes with male children.
Charles Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #79
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post

That’s what everyone gets when they sell a car (or indeed anything else) at auction.
My understanding is that car auctions are normally not available to private buyers or private sellers - i.e. this is usually a trade-to-trade event.

So if SureSell was meant to increase the supply of cars for auction by also getting cars from the public, then it makes sense that this was the precursor of WBAC.

Ultimately an auction house makes money from commission charged on transactions - the more transactions it runs through the business the more profit it makes.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #80
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350cgi Sport Estate + BMW 130i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter103 View Post
WBAC spend £100's of thousands on TV advertising, they have to cover that, whichever way its looked at before any profit might begin, they are IMOP a waste of time and money, unless its an old Banger you have to sell stay away, they are no better than the used car seller working out of a shed, on waste ground, SHARKS! Out to make a quick buck at your expense!
Quite the opposite in my experience, if you have a car that still has some warranty, they will often pay top dollar, now that may still be a shock to many price wise, but generally they will pay far more than BMW, Mercedes et al will as a part ex, and often close or above what you could expect to sell as a private sale.

It is the bangers where they pay you pittance, because, to be blunt, they don't really want them.
But when you call yourself "we buy ANY car" you can't really say "we won't buy your car" so they just lowball you rather than say "Waht the **** do we want that for?".
gIzzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #81
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
My understanding is that car auctions are normally not available to private buyers or private sellers - i.e. this is usually a trade-to-trade event.

So if SureSell was meant to increase the supply of cars for auction by also getting cars from the public, then it makes sense that this was the precursor of WBAC.

Ultimately an auction house makes money from commission charged on transactions - the more transactions it runs through the business the more profit it makes.
Although they host certain "closed" sales purely for the trade, the regular sales held at all BCA sites are open to both private and trade buyers although I'm not certain whether they still accept entries from private sellers.

In the case of BCA, they charge weighty commission to both buyer and seller and make a very nice margin indeed.
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott_F For This Useful Post:
markjay (10-02-2017)

Tags
advice, appreciated, car, online, selling, valuations