Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree25Likes

Old 23-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #31
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
How did you get on Mark? All go according to plan.....

Tony
jotter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #32
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotter22 View Post
How did you get on Mark? All go according to plan.....

Tony
Not great.... didn't sell the car.

Their revised quote was 1970 after 49.99 fee.

Essentially they look at three things: service history, paintwork, and alloys. Nothing else was seriously checked.

Then each stone chip is a panel respray and each mark on the alloy is alloy refurb... you can see how the price they offer plummets very quickly.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #33
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS - Grand Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
Not great.... didn't sell the car.

Their revised quote was 1970 after 49.99 fee.
Which was 20% lower than their initial quote , quite a reduction.

Just proves that the first price was only to get you through the door.

Kenny
KennyN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyN For This Useful Post:
markjay (23-01-2017)
Old 23-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #34
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
My point was that the minor paint blemishes and alloys are consistent with a car of this age in good condition. I pointed out that it is unreasonable to assume that 10 year old cars will be presented with full respray and 4 refurbished alloys...

Their view was the the assumption is that the car is in 'pristine' condition (their wording) unless otherwise stated. Apparently I had the option on the website to report paint or alloy damage. I didn't see that section - but even so it would not have occurred to me to note these imperfections.... and as I did not report the stone chips etc the quote was based on 'pristine' condition.

Also, it is not a coincidence that they check very carefully the service history, paint, and alloys - these are three areas where it is very easy to use as excuses for dropping the price. In my case he made a big fuss over a missed service in 2009 (it wasn't missed, he misread the date......), the point being that this was clearly an attempt to drive down the price - even if there was a missed service (there wasn't), does it really matter on a 10 years old car with otherwise perfect history?

I have traded-in several cars before and never seen the dealer focus on these particular areas.

So not impressed....

Last edited by markjay; 23-01-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to markjay For This Useful Post:
a111r (23-01-2017)
Old 23-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #35
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Hmmmm....:

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/we-buy-...buying-service

(That's from 6 years ago)
The chap who inspected my car was apparently relatively inexperienced, whenever he had an issue he went to ask his boss who was sitting on the next room. And most of the things he said sounded scripted - as if he was reading them from a script - presumably that's part of their staff training.

But the interesting bit is that when I pointed-out that their baseline assumption that the car is 'pristine' unless otherwise stated, is unreasonable, as very very few 10 years old cars will be presented in this condition - even the trade meaning of 'excellent condition' is not the same as 'pristine' - the answer was always that the car was 'not as described' which is pretty much the only answer he had for me.

This again sounded scripted - and I suspect that having their hand slapped by the OFT in 2010, they are now training their staff to walk on the legal side of the thin line between fair and fraudulent - just.

When I pointed out the the car 4 brand new premium tyres he said 'well that's part of the cost of running and maintaining a car and does not add to the value sir'. I bet that part-worn tyres would have reduced the price further... because I did not declare that the tyres were not new.... etc.

So in short be aware that unless otherwise stated, the quote is based on your car being in 'as new' condition... and the price will go down from there.

Would be interesting to see what their online quote would look like if I added 'minor stone chips' and 'some kerbing on wheels'.

On a general note, while it was plain obvious to me that pedantically focusing on service history, paint (he actually checked the paint thickness on each and every panel with a gauge - though nothing was mentioned so I am assuming he found nothing he could use to lower the price), and alloys, simply serves the purpose of finding reasons to reduce the price - I do have some sympathy for trade buyers.

My car is well looked-after and in perfect working order, but nothing was checked mechanically - he started the engine, drove the car 3 feet forward, then reversed back into the parking space, had a look under the bonnet then closed it shut - less than 5 minutes all in all. I am assuming that most 10 years old car dumped to the trade have a catalogue of issues that owners never reported and knew won't be checked by trade buyers, so the trade take a hit on blown head gaskets and failed auto-boxes and worn suspension components and what-have-you - none of which would have been spotted by today's 'inspection'. In reality, I suspect that quite a few sellers bring their cars to trade buyers because they know they won't pass a thorough inspection by private buyer. So I suppose that it's a bit of a cat-and-mouse game.

Last edited by markjay; 23-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #36
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLS55
I hate the likes of webuyanycar.com with a passion as they are effectively robbing people. Although I can see why people do use them, however. They are to car owners what wonga is to borrowers IMO. Good luck with the sale of your car!
ChrisCLS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #37
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Here are a few photos to give you some idea what the car looks like (though I could not post photos of the stone chips / lacquer scratches because they don't show up on the pictures taken with my phone camera):

S205-FTW likes this.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #38
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Old 23-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #39
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

S205-FTW likes this.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #40
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Sorry for the mundane background, there are no Stately Homes round where I leave

Anyway, this is what a 1,970 Merc looks like, according to webuyanycar.com.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #41
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C Class, W205 Sport 2014
I sold my son's Focus Estate to WBAC.com. Apart from the service fee, they knocked off 30 for a scuff on a mirror and some stone chips. I had to take it away while my son considered his options and while away, polished out the scuff and touched in the chips. When I returned with the car, they reinstated the 30 and I got the full valuation.

Before taking it to them in the first place, I spent half a day cleaning, touching in, and polishing. Also touched in some alloy scuffs which went un-noticed.

He told me that WBAC.com belongs to British Car Auctions and what matters is that it starts and runs for 5 minutes and the appearance has no noticable marks as all their cars go to auction.

I would go back to the site near me as he seemed fairer than some of the others mentioned here. It should also be said that in their Ts & Cs, they allow for repair/correction before resubmission.

Ernie
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #42
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2008 E350 petrol estate, 2007 XK convertible
If you're prepared to take 2,575, have you thought of trying it on Gumtree for that, and making it plain in the ad that this is what WBAC have offered you, and you won't take a penny less? You will still get the contacts from hopeful tossers offering you peanuts, but you can always either just ignore them, or text 'No' back, and any buyer who actually turns up will know exactly where they stand and how much they will have to pay for the car. Personally, if I wanted your car I'd snap your hand off at that price.
E55BOF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #43
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
...He told me that WBAC.com belongs to British Car Auctions and what matters is that it starts and runs for 5 minutes and the appearance has no noticable marks as all their cars go to auction...
Interesting... he dis start the engine and allowed it to idle while inspecting the paint.... I didn't quite understand why at the time but now it makes sense.
Old 23-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #44

Car: Ml270cdi
Selling my car - Online valuations - advice appreciated

I used WBAC when selling an old Renault - initial valuation 1500 - it went right down to 800 - I told them thanks and sold it through eBay which was painless. Took a load of pix showing all the damage inc the need to replace the plastic rear window lost 100 quid ... so not a fan of WBAC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ballance.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #45
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Quote:

I don't know the market value of these but that looks like a three grand plus car all day long. And I wouldn't be upset paying more for it if that's what I wanted.

At the end of the day whoever buys it they'll have done well.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Jones Jr For This Useful Post:
markjay (23-01-2017)

Tags
advice, appreciated, car, online, selling, valuations