Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree25Likes

Old 19-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
Hmmmm....:

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/we-buy-...buying-service

(That's from 6 years ago)
merc85 likes this.
markjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: s320
Well it makes sense to use WBAC but that quote will be nearer 2000,when they have finished picking holes in it,but as you say you do not want the hassle or have the time to sell it privately,the short MOT will drop the price,as you car will go to auction,but I am sure it is clean and tidy so a drop of 300 will see it sold.
zipdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #18
SPX
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: That one
These car buying services really take the biscuit, they tell you it's easier than selling privately but let's look at the experiences:

Private sale - agree an approximate price over the phone then they arrive and start picking holes in the car and bid lower.

Car buying sites - agree an approximate price on t'internet then you schlep down to them (!) they start picking holes in the car and then bid lower.

The differences being that their offer will be a lot lower than a private sale and they're getting you to go to them!
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPX For This Useful Post:
E55BOF (19-01-2017)
Old 19-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdip View Post
Well it makes sense to use WBAC but that quote will be nearer 2000,when they have finished picking holes in it,but as you say you do not want the hassle or have the time to sell it privately,the short MOT will drop the price,as you car will go to auction,but I am sure it is clean and tidy so a drop of 300 will see it sold.
Thanks.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to try webuyanycar.com first - their nearest location is less than a mile away from me.

The car has done genuine 59k miles, FSH ('including the additional items' - fuel filter, spark plugs, ATF, etc etc...), and I owned it for the past 9 years.

It also has 4 brand new Dunlop BluResponse tyres - perhaps not hugely expensive in itself, but it does point to a very well-looked-after car.

And It's black and automatic which is desirable combination (I know, it would have been better if it also had leather and Sports/AMG trim with 17" alloys, but alas...). Plus it has COMMAD NTG2.5, which sells for ~600 on eBay on its own.

So they really have no reason to knock the price off even if they do use a magnifying glass to find some minor blemishes with the 10 years old original Obsidian Black paintwork.

So I'll give them a chance to honour their online quote - the car is definitely above average and if they know what they are doing they should be able to work out quite quickly that the automated online valuation is actually lower than what it should be for a car in this condition.

I might end-up wasting an hour or so, but there's only one way to find out if they are any good... watch this space.

PS - I just removed the personalised plates from the car and put back on the original 06 plates, so I am currently waiting for the new V5C to come in the post and can't physically proceed with the sale until it arrives (probably at some point next week).
Old 19-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
Possibly, but I just don't have the time to accommodate potential buyers who want to see the car etc. And this is honest buyers... not to mention time wasters etc.
Well if you want to sell to WBAC or a private punter you've still got to give up some of your time. And as you're selling a car that will appeal to the more mature type there's a fairly good chance it will be purchased by the first to view. Regardless, good luck.

Last edited by John Jones Jr; 19-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Jones Jr For This Useful Post:
markjay (19-01-2017)
Old 19-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Minor update: I had two missed calls on my mobile today from webuyanycar.com.

Proactive? Aggressive? You decide
Old 19-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2009 W204 C180K
I think it's sad that a perfectly good car is worth so little. My C180K is only 3 years away from that age and I feel as though it has a lot of life left in it yet. In fact it still looks and drives almost like new.

I tend to keep my cars long term and what this does confirm for me is the decision to service the car myself. There is no point spending many 000's over the period of ownership keeping up the maintenance history. How much could lack of a full service history make when the car is only worth 2000.
190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 View Post
I think it's sad that a perfectly good car is worth so little. My C180K is only 3 years away from that age and I feel as though it has a lot of life left in it yet. In fact it still looks and drives almost like new.

I tend to keep my cars long term and what this does confirm for me is the decision to service the car myself. There is no point spending many 000's over the period of ownership keeping up the maintenance history. How much could lack of a full service history make when the car is only worth 2000.
I agree. We scrap perfectly serviceable vehicles simply because there is no demand for them any more. The well-oiled marketing machine of the big car manufacturers ensured that we are constantly tempted into buying new models and ditching the old ones.

This 11 years old car was well looked-after, has no rust, and with under 60k miles on the clock can run trouble-free for another 10 years.... but it won't. Because it will soon become 'unwanted'.

Such is life...
Old 19-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SL63 + W205 C220d
I tried WBAC and although the price looked good to start with their man knocked money off for the slightest I,perfections including small chips on the edge of the door. When he had finished the price was less than the main dealer offered me. Wouldn't budge or renegotiate either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
c63chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A205 C200 Cabriolet AMG Line - Prem +, ILS, 360 camera, leather dash and Driving Assistance Pkg
Can you post pics of the car here please. I may be interested.

Thanx
EClassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CL500
I would personally post the details up on here.

I did with my E55 and sold it not long after.

I had to field a few questions but the second viewers bought the car and I feel I got the best price I could for the car - and they got a cracking car.

I think most on here are enthusiasts and not timewasters.

It is subject to demand of course but I reckon there would be for a straight motor running well.

Yes, it needs a bit of time investment but I hardly spent any time at all on mine.
JohnEBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EClassy View Post
Can you post pics of the car here please. I may be interested.Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEBoy View Post
I would personally post the details up on here.
I don't actually have a 'for sale' set of pictures for the car... here's a picture I took last year, to satisfy your curiosity

If I do decide to sell it privately I'll post some proper photos, but - with respect to those forum members who showed interest (some PMed me) - I would rather give webuyanycar.com a go first.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CL500
Quote:
I don't actually have a 'for sale' set of pictures for the car... here's a picture I took last year, to satisfy your curiosity
My post was more about highlighting some of the advantages of advertising the car for sale on here - it's not like advertising to Joe Public IMO.

Anyhow - it's your car so good luck with selling to the trade!
JohnEBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnEBoy For This Useful Post:
markjay (19-01-2017)
Old 20-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

2006 with 58k is v low mileage. Will attract lots of private buyers assuming it's in good nic and genuine miles and good service history.

Priced right on auto trader it will sell within a day or two. Prob for >1k more than any of those peeps.

There are loads of peeps looking to buy a car in that bracket.

Just done the same. I found it painless. Auto trader won't put your personal number online
a111r and wu56Shoozz like this.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
evanshalshaw.com - 1,911
wewantanycar.com - 2,238
webuycarstoday.co.uk - 2,312
webuyanycar.com - 2,575
trustedcarbuyers.com - 2,670
sellyourjamjar.co.uk - valuation not received
Quote:
....I just removed the personalised plates from the car and put back on the original 06 plates, so I am currently waiting for the new V5C to come in the post and can't physically proceed with the sale until it arrives (probably at some point next week).
New V5C arrived yesterday in the post.

Car booked for tomorrow (Monday) with webuyanycar.com.

Their quote stands at 2,575. I am aware that there's also a transaction fee of 49.99, plus 29 fee if I want immediate payment (otherwise they pay within 4 days).

If they try to negotiate the price down, I am hoping that COMAND NTG2.5 (~600 on eBay) and 4 brand new Dunlop BluResponse (240 from blackcircles.com) will help shift up the price back to the original quote.

At any rate their nearest location is 15 minutes drive from where I leave, so it's worth a shot - if they give me grief I will just leave.... we'll see what they say.

It is an interesting experience for me anyway... will keep you posted.

Tags
advice, appreciated, car, online, selling, valuations