Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree6Likes

Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350cgi Sport Estate + BMW 130i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic.bertie View Post
You need to start high, its human nature and everyone wants money off, so it best to consider this on the price.
I don't agree with this at all.

Price it at your absolute bottom price plus 150, which you can knock off.

I have sold just over 40 cars privately in the last 20 years and the above works best every time. Also, make sure people can email and text you to make first contact, 99% of my sales have been done through email, those that want to call you and discuss tend to be the wasters and those that let you down, not sure why that is, but it is always the same for me. Maybe they are the ones that want to be really thorough and end up worrying about what 'could' go wrong and talk themselves out of it, who knows?

More often than not, the first time I speak to the buyer is usually the day they collect.

It is so much easier for someone to blip you a quick text to see if it is still for sale, rather than get caught up listening to someone babble on about their car for an hour.
And most of the time it will ask "What's your best price?"
Don't be like some sellers and get all annoyed at this, it is a genuine question, reply saying "I will knock 150 off but no more, the car is as described, and worth considerably more, it is priced to sell as I'm sure you agree. If you want to come and have a look you're more than welcome, you won't be disappointed. Thanks for the interest."

I think your car is a 'fair' price, but there have been a fair few facelift E280 and E320 estates at similar price points back in October/November too, and these tend to fetch a premium over saloons, I wasn't looking at saloons.
And remember, most buyers will not know the benefits of buying a facelift model over a 2006 car at 1/3 cheaper.
I would mention in the advert "Facelift model - 7 speed gearbox - no expensive SBC brakes to contend with".

Lastly, eBay sells cars well, nice advert, fixed price, 30 day sale, lots of images, list everything including service dates etc.
I have had much better response from eBay than from autotrader, plus it is 17.
Pontoneer and mystic.bertie like this.
gIzzE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gIzzE For This Useful Post:
mystic.bertie (14-01-2017), Ted (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK 320 CDi Sport
What are the issues you have had with the E280?
RSTurbo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSTurbo50 For This Useful Post:
mystic.bertie (18-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
tec
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CDi SPORT V6
I have always advertised cars at the lowest price I would accept as a starting point and never had any problems selling.
Usually I part exchange just to avoid the hassle of waiting for a buyer.

I don't see the point in holding out for the highest price.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tec For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
I don't see the point in holding out for the highest price.
But it's often worth holding out for a higher price.
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott_F For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It's just a dead time of year. The price looks very fair, if you drop it more that might actually not help as people will think something is wrong and you want shot quickly.

Nothing would put me off from the ad. Well, it needs the gunsight back on the bonnet if I'm being super fussy. I love the colour.

I would just be patient, it will sell.

Is it advertised on here?
Agree re replacing the Mercedes Star - the mascot makes the car feel more special .

I'd also remove the dark film from the rear windows - makes the car look 'modded' and will put a lot of buyers off . A standard , unmolested , car sells best ; not something with 'gangsta' looks .
Pontoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoneer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
Oh , have you checked what 'We buy any car' are offering ?

It is at least a quick easy way to get rid , and gives you a baseline price you don't need to drop below .
Pontoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoneer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #22

Car: CLK 220 cdi 2008 W209
Never had any luck with aoutotrader. Think its very expensive with limited results. Had much better results with gumtree and ebay. But as others have said not a good time of year.
As for wbac.com please dont make me laugh! Can't believe any one uses them but I suppose it depends if you're hungry or starving.
redjules51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redjules51 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350cgi Sport Estate + BMW 130i
Problems Selling My E280cdi 2007 - advice please

I have had some good results with we buy any car.com.

On the mini last time They paid out over 2000 more than we wanted to get for it privately and 3000 more than both Mercedes or BMW offered as a part exchange. It really depends on the car that you have at time, they tend to like cars that are less than five years old, and Ideally with some warranty remaining on them.

When it is an older car that thry don't really want they offer accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gIzzE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gIzzE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: GLC43 AMG
I'm looking for a cheap runabout that still gives me the occasional long distance comfort. Hardly drive anymore these days unless it is to an airport as I'm working from home.

So from a potential buyers perspective what would hold me back is that there is lots of choice, and I really don't like that light wood in the vehicle, also I'd be looking for something with command and good stereo (harmon pardon) in it, and telephone connectivity. And I only looked quickly but noticed dull spots on the bonnet (perhaps they are there, perhaps it is just a bad photo but with plenty of choice it is quickly a case of next please ).

Then there is a service missing. And with services like We Buy Any car private buyers are getting savvy and can see what the trade will be buying it for. As such you are at nearly double the price before your price drop and you are still 55% over. Ergo, sorry but way to much money unfortunately.

Just some thoughts.
dejongj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dejongj For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK 320 CDi Sport
I thought the light wood was standard on all E Class Spoets of that era??
RSTurbo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: E280 CDI SPORT 2007 Saloon
Im really sorry i cant reply to everyone and i am overwhelmed by the amount of replies, i do really appreciate all the replies but im afraid i can address every comment.

I have listed the car on ebay classifieds again, this time for 4650, that means if someone wants a little off i will accept 4500 no less. That was someones suggestion so ill see how it goes.
mystic.bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB
Part ex?
DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, advice, e280cdi, problems, selling