Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree15Likes

Old 11-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #31
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350CDI sport Coupe / VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi
Hoop & Stick !!!
alzieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #32
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2016 C200 coupe
I suppose they could run the buses and bin Lorry's on LPG..
The power stations are struggling to supply power now so how will they cope with charging a couple of million vehicle's as well?
I think EV is a bit of a pipe dream. The writings on the wall for diesel, who would have believed they would have banned smoking in pubs but they did!
Delayed Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #33
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C43 AMG Estate (01/17)
I wonder if the anticipated hike in VED rates next year will factor diesel cars in. Its strange but my 3.0 Bi-Turbo diesel Audi has a lower tax band than my -on order- C43 3.0 AMG Estate which is petrol because it has less Nox emissions etc.. Strange but true!!
DRIVER200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
tec
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CDi SPORT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER200 View Post
Its strange but my 3.0 Bi-Turbo diesel Audi has a lower tax band than my -on order- C43 3.0 AMG Estate which is petrol because it has less Nox emissions etc.. Strange but true!!
Nothing strange about it.

VED is based on CO2 emissions, and diesels usually emit lower CO2 than the more environmentally polluting petrol vehicles.
Druk likes this.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #35
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post

Nothing strange about it.

VED is based on CO2 emissions, and diesels usually emit lower CO2 than the more environmentally polluting petrol vehicles.
CO2 is emissions, not pollution. It is affects global warming but has no effect on air quality or health.

While reducing CO2 emissions is a good thing, we must also keep in mind the very real and very immediate issues caused by pollution.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #36
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W205 AMG C63 Saloon
.......and of course it's a VAG product so the CO2 figure will be infinitely configurable in software
Riverside Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #37

Car: 2014 E250 Amg 7G Auto
They'll have to put me in prison for a very long time & wrestle the keys off me for my car before I ever have a electric car.

Ill let someone else worry about the planet, I've got better things to do thanks.
Maco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #38
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C350e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Steve View Post
The power stations are struggling to supply power now so how will they cope with charging a couple of million vehicle's as well?
I think EV is a bit of a pipe dream.
Most EV drivers seem to either charge their cars at night when electricity is abundant, or charge during the day using the power from their solar panels.

EV sales are tiny but they're increasing rapidly. Looks like they might slow down in the US if Trump has his way, but not in China or Northern Europe.
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #39
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C350e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maco View Post
They'll have to put me in prison for a very long time & wrestle the keys off me for my car before I ever have a electric car.

Ill let someone else worry about the planet, I've got better things to do thanks.
Forget the planet, EVs are already better than fossil fuel driven vehicles for short urban journeys - cheaper, less wear and tear on the motor, better acceleration, quieter, cleaner. In a few years' time, they might be better for long journeys as well. Fossil fuel driven cars could be an increasingly expensive hobby for enthusiasts...
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodgy For This Useful Post:
Londonscottish (11-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #40

Car: E220d SE
I like diesels but I'm open to a petrol or electric. This year I leased a car through my own limited company. I do about 28k miles a year and mostly 200 mile trips down the motorway. I looked at the options assuming hybrid petrol would be best but their range on electric is poor and then it's onto petrol. The price is also very high. Looked at petrol only but the co2 emissions are higher and so get stung on tax. So from money point of view I took a E220d with the new engine which is brilliant. Where is the governments logic saying diesel particle pollution is killing people but they tax you on co2 not pollution. If they want me to change fuel why don't they give me a tax incentive on petrol instead of diesel until better electric cars come out or I can afford a Tesla.
Contractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #41
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
My limited experience with hybrids is that they are more suited to urban motoring. Once on the open road they become petrol pure and simple...
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #42
tec
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CDi SPORT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Where is the governments logic saying diesel particle pollution is killing people but they tax you on co2 not pollution.
It's environmental pressure groups that have forced the Government to take action on diesel fuelled vehicles.

The Government were quite happy with diesel, until the green brigade got a court order.

The case was brought by ClientEarth - a group of environmental lawyers.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ban, cities, diesel