Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk


General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Car: 2011 E220 CDI
Posts: 37
W212 winter tyres

Hi guys...
I am contemplating investing in a second set of alloys on which to fit winter tyres... The alloys I have on my car are the standard 8Jx17 with 245x45x17 tyres. I found a second hand set on the web at around 250... Same size alloys. Big question is: do I get same size winter tyres (245x45), or can I fit narrower tyres i.e. 225x50's or 225x55's...

Thank you
telu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sunbury
Car: [s]W202 C180 Estate[/s] W203 C200 CDI Estate
Posts: 3,716
The owner's handbook should tell you the recommended winter tyre size(s)
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stratman For This Useful Post:
telu (29-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 29-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: W213 220d AMG P+
Posts: 34
I know narrower tyres help bite through snow better then fatter ones but I put winter tyres on more to retain grip levels and improve water displacement than I do to improve hardcore snow performance. Not sure ten or twenty mm narrower tyres will help much in snow anyway and if the combination of wheel/tyre isn't correct or certified you could end up in trouble with insurance. I didn't want to take risk.

When I bought winter tyres for my w212 e300 se last year I went for same size as standard and just swapped the rubber and kept existing wheels on. Got the best reviewed tyres i could find at the time....

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 245/45 R17 99V XL , with rim protection (MFS) Fully Fitted (Wi)

They were actually brilliant, utterly amazing through standing water. The regular tyres would pull the steering/car to one side on motorway puddles, those plow through without you even noticing. Highly recommended. Only downside was mpg dropped but I think that usually happens with winter tyres anyway.

I've bought a w213 this year with 19 inch wheels so those winter tyres won't fit now (they are currently gathering dust in my garage) but the new car has run flats anyway so the cost of buying winter tyres for it is off-putting. I didn't pay much more that 500 for the set last year but I'd bet I'd be looking at double that for the new one!

Anyway, my recommendation, keep regular size and get a quality tyre.
Proeliator2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: W213 220d AMG P+
Posts: 34
Btw I've no idea why there is an Amazon link to those tyres in my post, I didn't link them (and oddly they are to the run flat version). Sneaky forum advertising revenue stream going on there!?!
Proeliator2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Car: 2011 E220 CDI
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001 View Post
I know narrower tyres help bite through snow better then fatter ones but I put winter tyres on more to retain grip levels and improve water displacement than I do to improve hardcore snow performance. Not sure ten or twenty mm narrower tyres will help much in snow anyway and if the combination of wheel/tyre isn't correct or certified you could end up in trouble with insurance. I didn't want to take risk.

When I bought winter tyres for my w212 e300 se last year I went for same size as standard and just swapped the rubber and kept existing wheels on. Got the best reviewed tyres i could find at the time....

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 245/45 R17 99V XL , with rim protection (MFS) Fully Fitted (Wi)

They were actually brilliant, utterly amazing through standing water. The regular tyres would pull the steering/car to one side on motorway puddles, those plow through without you even noticing. Highly recommended. Only downside was mpg dropped but I think that usually happens with winter tyres anyway.

I've bought a w213 this year with 19 inch wheels so those winter tyres won't fit now (they are currently gathering dust in my garage) but the new car has run flats anyway so the cost of buying winter tyres for it is off-putting. I didn't pay much more that 500 for the set last year but I'd bet I'd be looking at double that for the new one!

Anyway, my recommendation, keep regular size and get a quality tyre.
Thank you for your honest and prompt reply... This is what I was looking for: advice from someone who actually used the winter tyres on their car...
telu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Car: 2011 E220 CDI
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001 View Post
Btw I've no idea why there is an Amazon link to those tyres in my post, I didn't link them (and oddly they are to the run flat version). Sneaky forum advertising revenue stream going on there!?!
Can't see any link...
telu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
PXW
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
PXW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camberley
Car: S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
Posts: 1,041
Worth checking the manual. I've put winters on my S212 which has 18" wheels with larger tyres on the rear. For winters you have to use the same size all round despite the rear wheels being I think half an inch wider.
PXW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2016
Car: E63 W212 & Mini JCW F56
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by telu View Post
Can't see any link...
Same, no link visible.

Incidentally, I ran my w212 on 225's all round for winter tyres.
Definitely an improvement in bad weather.
wil992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Car: 2011 E220 CDI
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXW View Post
Worth checking the manual. I've put winters on my S212 which has 18" wheels with larger tyres on the rear. For winters you have to use the same size all round despite the rear wheels being I think half an inch wider.
The manual says 245x45's...
telu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Car: 2011 E220 CDI
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil992 View Post
Same, no link visible.

Incidentally, I ran my w212 on 225's all round for winter tyres.
Definitely an improvement in bad weather.
Why did you decide to use 225's? Price?
telu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norfolk, UK
Car: E350cgi Sport Estate + BMW 130i
Posts: 5,252
Because they tend to be better than wider tyres for winter use.

Most car manufacturers recommend going down a width for winters, remember to go up a profile.

So 245.45 becomes 225.50 etc.
gIzzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:15 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: W213 220d AMG P+
Posts: 34
I'm viewing the site on mobile device. When I look at my post and even where you've quoted it, the tyre size is underlined. Clicking that opens Amazon. Does it not do that on yours? I'm using chrome, perhaps it's browser specific.
Proeliator2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norfolk, UK
Car: E350cgi Sport Estate + BMW 130i
Posts: 5,252
No, but I use Safari.

Chrome is trying to create links for you. Ignore it.
gIzzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Yorkshire
Car: C350e Estate with a posh clock
Posts: 253
Best thing to do is check in the handbook or with Mercedes technical. If you just guess a size you should really tell your insurance because it's a modification away from standard.

I'm using the new Continental TS-860s this year. They got some good reviews. Nokians are good too and not quite as detrimental to the wallet!
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 261
Run flats on 19 inchers. OMG ; is that standard?

I have genuine MB winters on my W212. On their own allots. Means I can DIY swap tyres when I want. They make a massive difference in grip when cold. In standing snow that care is undrivable without them
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tyres, w212, winter


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.


MB club UK is A Mercedes Enthusiast club run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, MBClub UK is in no way affiliated with Mercedes-Benz, DaimlerChrysler or any of their respective trademarks. The posted views of our members are in no way the views of MBClub.co.uk or its owners.
Find us on Google+