Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree241Likes

Old 25-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #46
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: GLC250D
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighterrant View Post
"Almost 12,000 people a year die prematurely in Britain because of exposure to nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which is largely produced by diesel engines, the European Environment Agency (EEA) said."
Shouldn't your question be why doesn't the government ban this stuff that's killing 12000 of its citizens a year.

Why didn't people stop drivng leaded petrol vehicles when it was patently obviously for decades that it was terribly posionous ? I think you'd find that people would still be driving leaded petrol cars, if leaded petrol wasn't banned.

These sort of things need government initiatives.
geraldrobins likes this.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #47
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W211 E320 Sport
Diesel buyers did EXACTLY what the Government encouraged us to do, we purchased diesel cars. Now the Gov are saying Oh sorry, we made a mistake, tell you what lets just give the problems AND the bill to diesel drivers, the people who did what we told them to do! Drivers are just mobile ATMs so lets shaft them.

The car manufacturers also followed Government encouragements and expanded the range of diesel cars available...

So the emissions test is flawed, it nowhere near reproduces real world results, who designed and mandated the test? Why the Government. So who do the Government want to blame, why the car manufacturers and the buyers...

Yes I agree with you given current knowledge from an environmental and health perspective diesel perhaps isn't the best solution but the Government got us here they should be stepping up to the plate and doing more to fix the problem and at their cost not the motorist.

Have you noticed that despite the vast sums they pay to senior people because 'its necessary to attract top talent' the States answer to every problem is to charge the public ever more.

So my question, who's the British equivalent to Donald Trump, coz I'm voting for him/her.

E320 Sport CDI (W211) | 7G- Tronic | Obsidian Black | NTG 1 Command | Black Leather | Heated Seats | Telephone Prep | Parktronic

David404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #48
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W211 E320 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryce View Post
Except when it comes to statistics .... which aren't always what they seem - particularly when quoted with no supporting context.

87.367% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Otherwise a well considered response that makes much sense.

About a year ago I used the bus service in Birmingham, standing behind drivers waiting to get off it looked suspiciously like the 'Add Blue' warning light was on, on ALL the buses. Makes you wonder...
David404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #49
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: 2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcan91
Surely if emissions are such a worry, you would be driving a much smaller engine car / hybrid / EV or even better, riding a bicycle instead of going for the 350 petrol?
I do ride a bike, and I walk a lot. So does my wife. That's why our only car covers an average of around 4000 miles a year. :success
knighterrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #50
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grober
A report from the PC liberal elite who tell you stuff you don't want to hear https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/291...token=fV_ubz8n the short version https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/291...token=NZzDVymh the long version PLUS a heartfelt apology from VW
Interesting as an aside that one of the RCP recommendations is "Lead by example in the NHS". During very many hospital visits over the last couple of years I couldn't help but notice how many staff were significantly overweight. Not much of an example to the obese!
Old 25-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #51
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB
Quote:
I do ride a bike, and I walk a lot. So does my wife. That's why our only car covers an average of around 4000 miles a year. :success
Missing the point here, as the choice of the car could be far more environmentally friendly (if this was the main concern).

The same type of response can be given in answer to your question, with a diesel car which only covers an average of 4000 miles a year.
Litcan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #52
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: [s]W202 C180 Estate[/s] W203 C200 CDI Estate
Quote:
Interesting as an aside that one of the RCP recommendations is "Lead by example in the NHS". During very many hospital visits over the last couple of years I couldn't help but notice how many staff were significantly overweight. Not much of an example to the obese!
and smoked...
knighterrant likes this.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #53
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CL500
When I was changing car recently, the cars I considered were pretty much all diesel only as I had no option. Either that or another AMG / M6 type variants which I didn't want again.

So I stuck with petrol as I didn't need or want an oiler.

As much as I'm not a fan of diesel, I wonder how much the evolution of diesels has accelerated due to the governments tax incentives to push the public towards them though - which must have gone some way to clean up the environment even if it hasn't solved it by any stretch.
55nick likes this.
JohnEBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
JohnEBoy and Happytalk73 like this.
DSB SL AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #55
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEBoy View Post
As much as I'm not a fan of diesel, I wonder how much the evolution of diesels has accelerated due to the governments tax incentives to push the public towards them though - which must have gone some way to clean up the environment even if it hasn't solved it by any stretch.
The European situation is created by government policy combined with a public reaction on value / pricing of diesels that compounded it further with the manufacturers further acting and delivering what the public 'wanted'.

I have stated in the past that I think VED should be based on vehicle weight. That combined with fuel duty would incentivise manufacturers to create lighter vehicles which were inherently more economical - and finding ways of addressing safety that didn't incease vehcle weight.
knighterrant likes this.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #56
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
Quote:
Interesting observation could you break that down perhaps in terms of staff seniority/remuneration? --- how many obese consultants did you come across for example ? Might I suggest that perhaps it merely mirrors the pattern of obesity in the general populace where it's often but not exclusively a reflection of socio-economic status?
http://www.noo.org.uk/uploads/doc/vi...conSep2012.pdf
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #57
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by grober View Post
Which intelligently covers a lot more than diesel - and then lets itself down somewhat with a stereotypical image with a fast food restaurant.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #58
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Shouldn't your question be why doesn't the government ban this stuff that's killing 12000 of its citizens a year
Should they ban Alcohol also? year ending 2015 there were 54,000 deaths related to that, over four times the number related to Diesel.
knighterrant and chrispynuts like this.
markmifsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #59
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grober View Post
Interesting observation could you break that down perhaps in terms of staff seniority/remuneration? --- how many obese consultants did you come across for example ? Might I suggest that perhaps it merely mirrors the pattern of obesity in the general populace where it's often but not exclusively a reflection of socio-economic status?
http://www.noo.org.uk/uploads/doc/vi...conSep2012.pdf
Of course I don't have any statistically acceptable study results that will even come close to satisfying the objectors to pretty much everything that's posted here. All I can relate is my experience, whereby the weight distribution appeared to be a fairly even spread (pun intended) from nurses through to consultants. The most obese of all was a registrar. We only saw three consultants, with just one not looking overweight and the other two not excessively so.
Old 25-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #60
HB
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 5.5TT, E350 CDI, C320 CDI, S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
Tesla S. Stunning car, well made (lots of Mercedes interior parts) very very quick and sure footed.
Cheap rent interior

80K for that , no way.
HB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, cars, diesel