Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree241Likes

Old 25-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #31
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes E350 Estate Night Edition
TBH when I purchased mine it really did not occur to me that I may be killing people, I assumed that the car was compliant and suitable for use.

Each week we seem to have experts advising us that one thing or the other is bad for us then changing their minds a few weeks later.

The most destructive thing on the planet is the human race which seems to be increasing at an alarming rate and consuming the planets resources but no one dare suggest we procreate less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yugguy likes this.
Headhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #32
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: 2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhurts
The most destructive thing on the planet is the human race which seems to be increasing at an alarming rate and consuming the planets resources but no one dare suggest we procreate less. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
China did. That's a fair chunk of the world.
Pontoneer likes this.
knighterrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #33
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighterrant View Post
I know this has been discussed within many other threads, but I still fail to understand why people continue to buy new diesel powered cars. I'm not really interested in whether or not they cost less to run (debatable) or provide greater torque (not something that most drivers will appreciate). My worries are over the now much publicised health concerns.

I can perhaps understand why reading something like this "A Mercedes Benz CLA (2.1l) diesel emitted 8-12 times the limit on the road" (https://www.theguardian.com/environm...official-limit) has little influence on buyers' decisions. For most I suspect the reaction is "So what?". But why oh why do people ignore the often repeated headline:

"Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year" (Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year | News | The Times & The Sunday Times)

"Almost 12,000 people a year die prematurely in Britain because of exposure to nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which is largely produced by diesel engines, the European Environment Agency (EEA) said."

Don't the people who buy new cars ever take notice of these warnings? Or is it just that they don't care about anyone else? Don't they realise that they're also putting the lives of their loved ones at risk? Or is it simply that they don't think about such things, preferring instead to concentrate solely on their own pockets?

I've heard all the excuses such as "The CO2 levels are lower in diesels so fit within my company car limits", or "The manufacturers don't provide enough choice of petrol cars", or "People die from drinking, smoking and all sorts of other things". To me, they all sound like shrugging shoulders - "Not my problem"

So is that it? People just don't care!
Surely if emissions are such a worry, you would be driving a much smaller engine car / hybrid / EV or even better, riding a bicycle instead of going for the 350 petrol?
Yugguy likes this.
Litcan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #34
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
It's a pretty simple rule of thumb really, in todays world of conflicting realities :-- people who tell you awkward or unpleasant things--- stuff that's difficult to deal with ---are probably telling you the truth. People who tell you stuff that makes you happy--- that everything's fine ---- the stuff you want to hear--- are usually lying- to you and maybe to themselves.
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grober For This Useful Post:
knighterrant (25-11-2016)
Old 25-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by grober View Post
It's a pretty simple rule of thumb really, in todays world of conflicting realities :-- people who tell you awkward or unpleasant things--- stuff that's difficult to deal with ---are probably telling you the truth.
Except when it comes to statistics .... which aren't always what they seem - particularly when quoted with no supporting context.

Some things are inconsistent. As I stated previously we are bombarded with health messages which strongly suggest public health is getting worse but at the same time life expectancy has gone up and they've used this to bump up retirement age.

I have no doubt that pollution from diesels can be harmful to some people - but I also have been bombarded by messages backed by a taxation regime that tell me that petrol engines prodice to much globally harmful CO2.

Meanwhile if I care to look behind some of the statistics it looks like buses may well be one of the worst offenders when it comes to air quality.

So why does nobody question their use? Or tax the bus companies to move them to electric.. And why does a significant % of the ppupulation get encouraged to use them with discounted or free travel.

So sometimes it's not about good or bad news - but the way the truth or real mechanisms are just ignored - while the PC liberal elite that know better focus on what is so unthinkingly obvious to them and assume that we shouldn't think and accept it because they do.

Maybe if there was a bit more intellectual honesty and less of an air of righteousness then the real truth - bad or good news - would be better understood and acted on.
st13phil likes this.

Last edited by Dryce; 25-11-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #36
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C180 Executive SE 2013
Some procreate less (afluent indigenous individuals in Western societies) while some procreate more (everyone else) - this won't reduce the number of people on the planet, just change the demographics.

Unfortunately those who are in decline are also those who care most about the environment.
markjay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markjay For This Useful Post:
Old 25-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
A report from the PC liberal elite who tell you stuff you don't want to hear
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/291...token=fV_ubz8n the short version
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/291...token=NZzDVymh
the long version

PLUS

a heartfelt apology from VW
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #38
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
Unfortunately those who are in decline are also those who care most about the environment.
I'm not sure I understood that.

My view is that people in Elysium have the resources to squander and make esoteric choices at the same time lament. Those on the other side of the divide don't have the resources to make choices and no time to lament.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #39
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SL63 + W205 C220d
Odd question. For most people diesel is the best compromise between power and economy. Resale is good so lease costs are affordable. I'm sure for most new car buyers that's as far as they look and why not. As the roads get more and more congested in the South East where I live it becomes more and more irrelevant what engine you have as you aren't going anywhere hence the 220d to commute. Luckily I can afford to have the SL63 for weekends but it's uneconomic otherwise.
c63chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #40

Car: E220 W213
I've got an E220D on order for March delivery (and I'm not an OAP!). The main reason for buying diesel is that there's so little choice; I was brought up on petrol cars, but there are very few petrol competitors in that segment. I looked hard at the Lexus GS, but it just didn't appeal; the cvt gearbox does not belong in the luxury sector, and the rear legroom is minimal. Couple that with the low residuals, and you'd have to be a real tree hugger to choose that. There are BMW 5 series petrol models, but I currently drive a 520 D, and one reason I'm changing is the appalling service from my local BMW dealer. Again, there's also the issue of residuals - BMW dealers just tell current owners that there's no demand for the petrol versions.

Most of the other marques only offer petrol as performance variants - which is not what I'm looking for.

What am I meant to drive other than diesel if I want to stay in the executive sector?
Dippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #41
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighterrant View Post
I know this has been discussed within many other threads, but I still fail to understand why people continue to buy new diesel powered cars. I'm not really interested in whether or not they cost less to run (debatable) or provide greater torque (not something that most drivers will appreciate). My worries are over the now much publicised health concerns.

I can perhaps understand why reading something like this "A Mercedes Benz CLA (2.1l) diesel emitted 8-12 times the limit on the road" (https://www.theguardian.com/environm...official-limit) has little influence on buyers' decisions. For most I suspect the reaction is "So what?". But why oh why do people ignore the often repeated headline:

"Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year" (Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year | News | The Times & The Sunday Times)

"Almost 12,000 people a year die prematurely in Britain because of exposure to nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which is largely produced by diesel engines, the European Environment Agency (EEA) said."

Don't the people who buy new cars ever take notice of these warnings? Or is it just that they don't care about anyone else? Don't they realise that they're also putting the lives of their loved ones at risk? Or is it simply that they don't think about such things, preferring instead to concentrate solely on their own pockets?

I've heard all the excuses such as "The CO2 levels are lower in diesels so fit within my company car limits", or "The manufacturers don't provide enough choice of petrol cars", or "People die from drinking, smoking and all sorts of other things". To me, they all sound like shrugging shoulders - "Not my problem"

So is that it? People just don't care!
What do you think of the responses so far then?
DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #42
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippo View Post
I've got an E220D on order for March delivery (and I'm not an OAP!).
What am I meant to drive other than diesel if I want to stay in the executive sector?

Tesla S. Stunning car, well made (lots of Mercedes interior parts) very very quick and sure footed.
Lennox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennox For This Useful Post:
Old 25-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #43

Car: E220 W213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
Tesla S. Stunning car, well made (lots of Mercedes interior parts) very very quick and sure footed.
Nowhere for an overnight charging point.
Dippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #44
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippo View Post
Nowhere for an overnight charging point.

Buy a better house then! Lol
Lennox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #45
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
Surely if emissions are such a worry, you would be driving a much smaller engine car / hybrid / EV or even better, riding a bicycle instead of going for the 350 petrol?
Best response so far...

Let him who is without sin etc....
Yugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yugguy For This Useful Post:
Litcan91 (25-11-2016)

Tags
buy, cars, diesel