Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Like Tree38Likes

Old 19-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #16
Tmc
Threadstarter

Car: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
The W210 is a very good car, but I don't think it's the right car for you. Based upon your posts you seem to have many reservations, and if you buy one, that's likely to become paranoia. Find another car, there are plenty of good ones out there.
Well, my reservations come from its very bad reputation. I would have zero reservations for example if I was thinking of a W124.

So I think my reservations are well justified, wouldn't you say?
Tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2005 W215 CL500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmc View Post
Well, my reservations come from its very bad reputation. I would have zero reservations for example if I was thinking of a W124.

They are justified...just can't understand why you are even considering one.
renault12ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes 250CE W114, Volvo XC60 D4 & Jaguar XJR
I'd actually rather own a late 210 than an early 211. However, both are originally expensive cars with numerous things that can and will go wrong at this stage in their lives.

Having just run a 1999 Honda Accord coupe for six entirely trouble free months which cost me the grand total of a grand, my instinct is that for the same money I'd go for that over an ageing Benz.

My 210 (which had been heavily cherished) needed a new heater control panel, new MAF, new airbag, new clock spring, evaporator, rear shocks, rear spheres and numerous bits of minor rust dealt with. This is after the previous owner had replaced the PSE pump (they fill with water if the front drains get blocked), new injectors, new glowplugs, new bonnet, wings and tailgate. Great car when it ran well, but it is of that era when electronics are not great and are starting now to fail.
Pontoneer likes this.
Charles Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes 250CE W114, Volvo XC60 D4 & Jaguar XJR
Quote:

I've owned four W124s. I have serious reservations now about those!
Charles Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
kwk
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: w210 e320 w210 e280. w163 ML 320.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault12ts View Post
It is quite difficult to unbolt the rear arches though...wouldn't you agree?
Most certainly. Having said that though, they are not too difficult to cut out and repair properly. It's all about finding the right one in the first place.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
Quote:

But you're the person looking to buy one, so if your reservations are justified, buy something else.
Pontoneer, John Jones Jr and kwk like this.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
The W210 unfortunately was manufactured during a period when Mercedes suffered from paint and body problems - rumours of inferior Russian sourced steel to Mercedes still struggling with newer water based paint systems and lack of galvanising meant these cars have a deserved reputation for rust problems in most European countries. Like many old Benzes you will still find them doing sterling service in countries with predominatly hot arid climates where their body finish is unchallenged. The later W211 is a better bet [ altho its far more complicated electronically] best sampled in post 2006 facelift form with better paintwork and minus SBC brakes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced..._E-Class_(W211)
Pontoneer likes this.

Last edited by grober; 19-11-2016 at 12:56 PM.
grober is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #23

Car: CLK 220cdi Sport
I've had two W210 220cdi's. One on 340,000 miles. Did 5k in it without spending a penny. A friend then had it and put 10k on it with just a set of brake pads and a service.

The second had 180,000 miles and just needed a water pump.

Good cars from my experience and both drove better than my 2006 CLK Sport again with the 220cdi.

Must admit though both were rusty...

Last edited by JimBR; 19-11-2016 at 01:00 PM.
JimBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Quote:
The problem is everybody I'm speaking with are saying the same as renault12ts said. I won't find one without rust.
Well as you're the one looking to buy one maybe best you actually go out and start looking at W210 including one's not for sale, that imo is the best way to dismiss one as a purchase. It's not easy and it takes time as I already mentioned, no matter what the car. Been there and worn the t-shirt and like a fool I'm still looking for a particular car (non Merc) since last Feb/April. It's all about perseverance and luck.

Or buy another Ford, the Mondeo is a cracking car and they're not to be sniffed at, plus there's a massive selection.

Sent by ismoke signals using a Toshiba.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #25
Tmc
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault12ts View Post
They are justified...just can't understand why you are even considering one.
Yeah. Well, I guess I was hoping that people would say the reputation was not deserved and it was not nearly as bad or something.
Old 19-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #26
kwk
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: w210 e320 w210 e280. w163 ML 320.
Quote:

I really don't know why you are even considerig one. I have owned a few and mechanically they have been superb. You do have to be very careful with the body and I posted my current one which is low mileage and virtually zero rust.
The one before that was bought with a 12 month mot and was a rot box when I started to lok carefully (s0mething I should have done before I bought it). It taught me a lot though and was a source of many parts.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #27
Tmc
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBR View Post
I've had two W210 220cdi's. One on 340,000 miles. Did 5k in it without spending a penny. A friend then had it and put 10k on it with just a set of brake pads and a service.

The second had 180,000 miles and just needed a water pump.

Good cars from my experience and both drove better than my 2006 CLK Sport again with the 220cdi.

Must admit though both were rusty...
This is the thing. If you don't care about the rust I'm sure you can drive it till it falls apart. It will take a while till rust stops a car from being drivable.
If you lucky enough no electrical problems engine related get in the way I guess they would keep driving with or without rust. But this is not a car I want to deal with then.

So I guess you chaps have confirmed and convinced me the W210 is just not for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmc For This Useful Post:
a111r (19-11-2016), kwk (19-11-2016)
Old 19-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #28
Tmc
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Morgan View Post
I'd actually rather own a late 210 than an early 211. However, both are originally expensive cars with numerous things that can and will go wrong at this stage in their lives.

Having just run a 1999 Honda Accord coupe for six entirely trouble free months which cost me the grand total of a grand, my instinct is that for the same money I'd go for that over an ageing Benz.

My 210 (which had been heavily cherished) needed a new heater control panel, new MAF, new airbag, new clock spring, evaporator, rear shocks, rear spheres and numerous bits of minor rust dealt with. This is after the previous owner had replaced the PSE pump (they fill with water if the front drains get blocked), new injectors, new glowplugs, new bonnet, wings and tailgate. Great car when it ran well, but it is of that era when electronics are not great and are starting now to fail.
Like I said I would like a large 4 door saloon with RWD or AWD. Hondas are FWD only.

I can't afford a late W211.

So I guess I would be better off then with something like an Omega? As large as an E Class, luxury enough for me and they don't have the bad reputation the W210 has. The V6s are quite quick too.

Sure it's not a Merc and it's a Vauxhall. But it costs quite less to buy and to maintain. And we have a Ford and a Vauxhall now and the Vauxhall is 15 years old and passed the last MOT without any problems and has no body rust at all.

I guess a reliable Vauxhall is better than a rotten Mercedes?
Old 19-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah. Well, I guess I was hoping that people would say the reputation was not deserved and it was not nearly as bad or something.
They're very good cars with a bad reputation. Rust and electrical issues when the cars were relatively new earned the car a poor reputation, but now the car is older and much much cheaper to buy, the issues are more in keeping with what you might expect.

The W210 will be a superior car to almost every other car in the same price bracket, but it's at an age whereby it's getting older but has all of the cost and complexity of a modern car, and so things will brake, and it will be expensive to repair (relative to the value of the car).

Buy it expecting it to be perfectly reliable, immaculately finished, and hewn from granite, and you'll be disappointed. Buy it expecting that it will have some issues, which will be more expensive to repair than you're expecting, and enjoy luxury motoring at a relatively low cost.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 19-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Like I said I would like a large 4 door saloon with RWD or AWD. Hondas are FWD only.

I can't afford a late W211.

So I guess I would be better off then with something like an Omega? As large as an E Class, luxury enough for me and they don't have the bad reputation the W210 has. The V6s are quite quick too.

Sure it's not a Merc and it's a Vauxhall. But it costs quite less to buy and to maintain. And we have a Ford and a Vauxhall now and the Vauxhall is 15 years old and passed the last MOT without any problems and has no body rust at all.

I guess a reliable Vauxhall is better than a rotten Mercedes?
Omegas are fantastic cars, but you'll need look to find a good one now. Sadly, they too are known for rusting. Find a good MV6 and you'll be delighted.

Interestingly we chose the Omega over a W210 too.
kwk likes this.

Tags
w210, worth