Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > General > General Discussion
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

General Discussion General Discussion relating to Mercedes or General motoring ONLY.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #61
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 640d GC (honorary CLS 640 W219a)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFitz View Post
Each to their own - I would rather drive a C200 Se with Comand than a C250 without. There is a reason as to why Comand costs more than the becker....it's better.
My vote would be the opposite.

The basics of the car are more important to me. If something like Comand costs XX more then if I'm prepared to spend the money there will almost always be a better version of the car (or a better car) that can be bought using that XX.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #62
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C250 Sport
Quote:
Each to their own - I would rather drive a C200 Se with Comand than a C250 without. There is a reason as to why Comand costs more than the becker....it's better.
Colleague has C200 SE with comand which I have driven on occasions. Yep Comand is better than Becker but the overall package isn't in my opinion. In fact Comand doesn't really do anything extra- it just does it differently. In any case theirs was a 125 edition where comand was included. but as you say ....each to their own.
craig1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #63

Car: CLS 250 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
In any case theirs was a 125 edition where comand was included. but as you say ....each to their own.
What is the relevance?? The 125 edition was successful due to the fact that Comand was included.
When I traded down from my E350 in the new year i was offered either a 250 sport no comand or the 220 with. The 220 actually cost more, i had no hesitation. I find that it is only those without Comand who comment that its not worth the extra
JonnyFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #64
st4
Banned

Car: C220cdi tourer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryce

my vote would be the opposite.

The basics of the car are more important to me. If something like comand costs xx more then if i'm prepared to spend the money there will almost always be a better version of the car (or a better car) that can be bought using that xx.
x2
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #65
st4
Banned

Car: C220cdi tourer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFitz

What is the relevance?? The 125 edition was successful due to the fact that Comand was included.
When I traded down from my E350 in the new year i was offered either a 250 sport no comand or the 220 with. The 220 actually cost more, i had no hesitation. I find that it is only those without Comand who comment that its not worth the extra
I've used three cars with COMAND and I have one without. I think it's really over rated and wholly unnecessary but that just my view.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #66
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes C220 CDI AMG SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
I've used three cars with COMAND and I have one without. I think it's really over rated and wholly unnecessary but that just my view.
I test drove one with COMMAND and have one without..I agree.
jonnyMercUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #67
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
As has been said- each to their own. In your situation I would have had no hesitation in opting for the C250.
The Following User Says Thank You to craig1912 For This Useful Post:
robtt (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 640d GC (honorary CLS 640 W219a)
Quote:
I find that it is only those without Comand who comment that its not worth the extra
My suspicion is that MB sell a lot more cars with Comand where it is included as a give away or some sort of incentive as opposed to a paid for extra. So people voting with their wallets and actually specifically paying for it are in a minority.

But as you said before - each to their own - it's down to each individual to weigh up the value of the different aspects and options of each car model and it options.
Dryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #69

Car: CLS 250 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
As has been said- each to their own. In your situation I would have had no hesitation in opting for the C250.
The better spec appealed to me over performance. If performance was a major issue for me I would not even have looked at a 220/250 and stayed with the 350
JonnyFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #70
pjs
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C250cdi Coupe, Audi S5 Cab
Command has an option in the settings menu to see your MPG for each minute you drive and makes a nice graph for you. Lovely
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #71
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Command has an option in the settings menu to see your MPG for each minute you drive and makes a nice graph for you. Lovely
Every c coupe does that. You don't need command.

I would have loved to have command on my car. Also the memory package, HK sound and all other extras on the C63. The reality is I had to look for the best car I could afford and keeping this in mind I rather have a 250CDI without command than a C220CDI with it. I test drove the 220CDI with command and it was lovely but the engine felt underpowered for the car. A 250CDI 125 with command and leather was way out of my price range so the decision was easy. Also I found a manual 250CDI which was again cheaper than the equivalent 220CDI in auto. Again, I can change the gears myself so I opted for that and kept the money for other extras more important to me.

Command is up to date now but in 5 years time it will be outdated as technology moves faster than I buy cars. If you change cars often, this will not be a problem for you. I don't.

Everybody has its own 'MUST' list when it comes to choose a car. Mine will always will be engine over spec.

SmartMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #72

Car: C250 CDI coupe AMG Sport Blue Efficiency
I took delivery of my C250cdi coupe yesterday which is automatic, media interface and privacy glass in Obsidian black. I managed to obtain a huge discount through a corporate finance deal. I originally test drive the C220 so hadn't driven a C250 until yesterday. It's so much more responsive and the one item on my wish list was a media interface which you get with COMAND, but I've purchased a new Becker Map Pilot on eBay for 250, so I have a lot of the COMAND functions at less than a quarter of the cost! In my opinion I couldn't justify the extra cost plus I received an extra 1500 by ordering in March and also had a stock vehicle transferred from another dealership.
adym67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #73
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ML350, SL63 r231
Well done. What's your 1st impressions?
acej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #74
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adym67 View Post
I took delivery of my C250cdi coupe yesterday which is automatic, media interface and privacy glass in Obsidian black. I managed to obtain a huge discount through a corporate finance deal. I originally test drive the C220 so hadn't driven a C250 until yesterday. It's so much more responsive and the one item on my wish list was a media interface which you get with COMAND, but I've purchased a new Becker Map Pilot on eBay for 250, so I have a lot of the COMAND functions at less than a quarter of the cost! In my opinion I couldn't justify the extra cost plus I received an extra 1500 by ordering in March and also had a stock vehicle transferred from another dealership.
Agree - the Becker with Media interface is not a lot different to Comand and as you say the 250 is more responsive (note not outright power) and easier to live with.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #75
Threadstarter

Car: VW Golf
Guys... i must say some top quality posts.

Lots for me to ponder.

I have my heart set on the C COUPE and I need to keep the spec in line with what i want to spend max a month.

Obviously a car is not an asset but a money loser at the end of they day.

Over the 3 years of the Agility deal i would be paying off the depreciation cost.

On a hire deal out of interest. Would the monthly payments be a lot higher than on agility?

Command v Becker... this is a tough one. 2k is not cheap for this option.
SammyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, class, coupe