Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Old 23-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes ML320 CDI and an Audi A6 TDI Auto
Brabus 320CDI power upgrade

I have a Brabus power upgrade chip for the V6 320CDI but without fitting instructions. Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions? There are more than just a couple of plugs and I wouldn't want to get it wrong.
PM me if you would like to do a deal for the information and don't want to post it on the forum. Thanks!
Mactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2003 W211 320CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
I have a Brabus chip for the straight six. It came to me without instructions. I emailed Brabus. They wanted pics of the serial number on the unit (presumably to check it wasn't nicked) and sent instructions by return by email pdf. Having said that, I'll bet there is no difference in the fitting. pm me your email and I'll send them for your perusal.
Druk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druk View Post
I have a Brabus chip for the straight six. It came to me without instructions. I emailed Brabus. They wanted pics of the serial number on the unit (presumably to check it wasn't nicked) and sent instructions by return by email pdf. Having said that, I'll bet there is no difference in the fitting. pm me your email and I'll send them for your perusal.
Thanks, I guess that to mail Brabus is the best way forward. But I would love to see the straight six instructions. It will get me 80% the way there!
You will have a PM
Old 23-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
Brabus are brilliant at stuff like this when I wanted info on my car and confirmation it had the K1S upgrade fitted, they replied within a day giving me the full spec of the car the dealer they supplied the kit to and the cost new. Brabus customer service is second to none.
flango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flango For This Useful Post:
Mactech (23-12-2009)
Old 30-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

You were right! I mailed Brabus with a picture of the box showing serial numbers and within a couple of hours I had a 'pdf' with the fitting instructions.
The box takes its information from 3 sensors and 2 injectors so would not have been so easy to guess the right conectors.
The results are good. With a similar power and torque to my previous S Class but with 200kgs less, the performance is ...err...lively
Despite the cold and wet, I managed a sub 6 secs 0-60 on only my second attempt. Oddly enough the fuel consumption was rather less than my target of 50mpg on this run!

The only current Mercedes
Old 30-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: BMW 335D
Can I have the instructions too please?

I have the D6(III) kit on my CLS and it is fun. I made a specific point of asking for the box and all the gubbins when it was fitted (people pay crazy money for the Brabus badges) but they claimed there were no instructions as it is a dealer specific installation.

I'd been keen to remove myself prior to sale if the car was traded-in.

A C320 CDi with one of these must fly!!

Simon
Simon_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
Shame they never supplied this for the V6 Vito
BTB 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB 500 View Post
Shame they never supplied this for the V6 Vito
I don't know if it is the same thing, but the fitting instructions include the fitting to a W639 Viano....with photos.....
Old 30-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
I wonder why, when fitting this, Mercedes reduce the unlimited mileage warranty to 60,000 miles and don't recommend fitting it to a car with over 18,000 miles on it?
crockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10

I was thinking of fitting the Brabus power upgrade to my E350cdi coupe.

Would you recommend this over a remap? Had my previous vehicles remapped by DMS.

Does anyone know the cost and is installation only by Mercedes dealers?

Thanks
tanlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Having had a little more time for durability testing the Grand Edition CLS now comes standard in this state of tune. No warranty restrictions apply on this car and I take this as an admission by Mercedes that they are now completely happy with it. The engine never was an issue, and the transmission copes with much more than this torque in the 420 models.
Four years of my own 'research' also supports this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mactech For This Useful Post:
crockers (30-12-2009)
Old 30-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactech View Post
I don't know if it is the same thing, but the fitting instructions include the fitting to a W639 Viano
Yes it's the same thing

But would need to find a different insurer as the current one (CIS) wouldn't even let me change the wheels
BTB 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanlod View Post
I was thinking of fitting the Brabus power upgrade to my E350cdi coupe.

Would you recommend this over a remap? Had my previous vehicles remapped by DMS.

Does anyone know the cost and is installation only by Mercedes dealers?

Thanks
The ECU protocol was changed on 2009 320 models and is carried over to 350 models. Whilst I would normally recommend a re-map, there are quite a few tuners who can not access the new protocol. The fact that this Brabus box cost me next to nothing, is Mercedes certified and I can remove it when the car goes back swung me in that direction. Both DMS and Superchips do good jobs.
Inchcape have offers of about 1k on the Brabus upgrades and fitting for about 100.
But check that the new 350 is on the fitting list!

The only current Mercedes
Old 30-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactech View Post
The ECU protocol was changed on 2009 320 models and is carried over to 350 models. Whilst I would normally recommend a re-map, there are quite a few tuners who can not access the new protocol. The fact that this Brabus box cost me next to nothing, is Mercedes certified and I can remove it when the car goes back swung me in that direction. Both DMS and Superchips do good jobs.
Inchcape have offers of about 1k on the Brabus upgrades and fitting for about 100.
But check that the new 350 is on the fitting list!
Thanks. I bought my vehicle from MB of Oxford who are part of the Inchcape group. Are these offers on their website?
tanlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
You could try Kleemann, who offer a similar box, with similar gains for 399. Of course that wouldn't come with MB approval though.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320cdi, brabus, power, upgrade