Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Old 01-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 1990 500SL
Noisy Tappet!

I've noticed over the last 6 weeks or so one of the tappets is a bit noisy in the morning. It eventually goes and all is well. However I've noticed recently that it seems to make a ticking sound a lot more often now, even when the engine is running.

It seems to happen when the engine is under a bit of load, like if you kick down.

Anyone got any ideas? I use Mobil 1 0W/40 so I could go to a slightly thicker oil (Mobil 1 is available in 15W/40 I think) which *may* stay in the tappets and not pass down into the sump, or its a case of writing someone a blank cheque for a new set of hydraulic tappets!

The engine has run faultlessly for 105K, apart from the MAS sensor failing at 98K.

I have had this problem before with a previous car and the dealer changed all the tappets (this was a 4 cyl engine so impossible to trace which was the offending one), but I had this done under warranty. Somehow I can't see MB honouring this work under warranty...

Thanks for any advice,

Greg

2006 BMW 330D
GregE240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E320CDI S211
my girlfriends vauxhall astra GTE with hydraulic tappets was really really bad - so for a laugh I bought some "Wynns Hydraulic Tappet" magic goo - chucked it in the engine and it was perfect within 5 miles - no noise at all (GTE's are renowned for noisy tappets)

for a fiver its got to be worth a try. It claims to clean out the little pistons and free them up.

bottle is 8" tall, honey coloured liquid, availible from most small car shops.
guydewdney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Thanks Guy I'll give that a go. I've had a quick glace on the Web and theres a couple of good testamonials.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Greg, I dont want to spoil the party but I believe that Mb advise against engine addatives. In your position I would do a complete engine flush first then us either a synthetic or semi synthetic oil and monitor the results. It could be a case of an oil gallery being semi blocked, thereby not allowing oil to reach the tappet.
Ian B Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

All good advice Ian, but the car has had synthetic oil for all of its life. I agree, it could be a gallery blocked. An additive won't do any harm I don't think. I've used them before but as you say its a case of caveat emptor.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
On these cold winter mornings, mine has a bit of tappet rattle for a second or so then it disappears. I think thats just normal, but I dont really know.

The strange thing is though, that the tappets only make a noise if the previous journey was less than 6-7 miles (engine not fully warmed up). If the previous journey was over that and the engine warmed up properly then there is no noise at all. Strange.
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
My advise is to fix the problem, not mask it with addative GOO. You have either a loose tappet or the gallery is blocked, which both need attention before more damage is done. Don't mask it or you will regret it in a few months when it fails alltogether mate.
Brian WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E320CDI S211
the wynns stuff isnt a hiding agent - it has the consistency of thin oil (3 in one) - it removes the varnish on the tappets - effectivly cleaning them.

i remember an old boy in an engineering shop telling me once during the war they used to put handfuls of sawdust in the machines to quieten them down
guydewdney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydewdney
the wynns stuff isnt a hiding agent - it has the consistency of thin oil (3 in one) - it removes the varnish on the tappets - effectivly cleaning them.

i remember an old boy in an engineering shop telling me once during the war they used to put handfuls of sawdust in the machines to quieten them down
It may remove the varnish, but its not cleaning they need.
It also effectively removes the oil film from other moving parts, which need it.

As for sawdust in a Mercedes engine, well not recommended on this Forum mate.
Brian WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Well, I added the "goo" last night. Bit early to say whether its helped or not yet, but the engine hasn't gone bang.....

I agree: its probably a semi blockage somewhere - any ideas on flushing agents to use?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian WH
As for sawdust in a Mercedes engine
I shudder at that thought
Old 03-03-2004, 02:00 AM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 92 250 TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian WH
My advise is to fix the problem, not mask it with addative GOO. You have either a loose tappet or the gallery is blocked, which both need attention before more damage is done. Don't mask it or you will regret it in a few months when it fails alltogether mate.
I agree wholeheartedly with Brian here, I had three tappets seize. The camshaft sheared the pin into the chain sprocket and it had chunks out of it as did the head. That meant a new head or a replacement engine. Be very worried.

Bob
Motard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
Out of interest, does anybody know what sort of money you are talking about to replace the tappets on a V6 engine?
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 AM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Peugeot 403 Convertible
I agree with Ian and Guy here. You have a gummed up tappet. The Wynnes cleaner is a detergent that will disolve the varnish. I'ts based either on white spirit or petrolium distilate.
I would advise you change the oil as soon as the tappet has unstuck because the oil lubricant qualities will have been reduced by the solvent.

Personally I prefer to flush the engine at oil change and use synth oil. You will never get a build up then.
Dieselman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo
Out of interest, does anybody know what sort of money you are talking about to replace the tappets on a V6 engine?
First obtain second Mortgage, invest it in the winner on the 2:30 at Kempton, then crawl to your stealers begging leaniency as you are hard up

Tags
noisy, tappet