Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Old 27-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Car: clk 230k
Slow Acceleration on CLK 230k (w208)

Hello,i bought a clk some months ago ,an '02 CLK 230k
Everything works fine,except in some days (maybe 1 times per week or 2 max )

I wake up and go to work in the mornings as usual,i start the car,it starts normally,no unusual cranks etc but when it comes to acceleration,its very very slow,i am in 1st gear at 4000 RPM and i should "fly" but the car speeds up like a normal 100 HP one,it has no power at all,but i can hear the engine trying.

The usual fix is to reset the ECU,after i do it,the car works perfect,has power,pulls like it should,and the problem is fixed for 4-5 days,after that ,same thing all over again.

Now i try to reset the ECU but it does not fix the problem anymore.
Ofc i will go into service with it,but just asking here to know what to expect.Also i am hoping for a DIY fix since its holiday season and can't find a service that is willing to work yet.

Let me know if you need more info.

I have 134k miles on it,full service done about 6-7k miles ago. ( Oil change,fuel filter,oil filter,gearbox fluid).

Thank you in advance.
sebywarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
All the hallmarks of the Kompressor not engaging. Ideally, you should get the engine fault codes checked first before doing anything else. But if you want to take a shot in the dark replace the MAF.
John Jones Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Threadstarter

Thanks for your reply @John Jones Jr

I managed to temporary fix the problem,opened the kompressor valve manually,started the car and accelerated a bit w/o the air filter connected.

Works fine again,hopefully no more problems after this.

Will keep updating.
Old 28-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Being candid I don't know how your actions above resolved the problem. Also, I'm fairly sure the issue will return.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Threadstarter

A little update.
Seems like i can't fix the kompressor at all now,it just won't engage at all.
The check engine light appeared also,i took a diagnostic test and it says its the o2 sensor.
I ordered a new one and waiting for it to come in.hopefully the kompressor will work then.

I read somewhere that when a lambda/02 sensor is bad ,the ECU won't let the kompressor engage.Is this true ?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: c230 kompressor 1999
Sounds like the maf to me. When mine stopped engaging it was the maf. Cleaned it with contact cleaner as it was only a year old. Has some oil on it which must of been what was left in the compressor after I changed the breather pipes and crankcase valve and cleaned all inlet pipes and intercooler. Compressor was the only bit I couldn't clean out without removing.
streethawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebywarlord View Post

I read somewhere that when a lambda/02 sensor is bad ,the ECU won't let the kompressor engage.Is this true ?
No. The S/C will operate even with the o2 sensor disconnected.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W211 E500. V8 loveliness
+1 on what JJJ says.
I had a faulty brand new MB O2 sensor and apart from strange smell from the exhaust, noticed no difference.
Get it on STAR and stop guessing.
Well worth the money at any good indy.
Lyserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Car: CLK 430
HI Chaps,
I have got a similar problem with my c180 Kompressor.

my car is quite slow , and smaller engine cars can overtake me easily on acceleration.
last time i replaced my alternator , i found quite a bit of oil in air inlet pipe to the intercooler.

does this mean i have a blocked breather pipe?
i have a diagnostic tool, shall i run a scan and see if any faults show up?
any DIY for these breather pipes change?part n etc?
never had any oil consumption issues.
i had a listen using stethoscope and the supercharger is not making any nasty noise.
cheers chaps

Last edited by amazighman; 09-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.
amazighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Threadstarter

Thanks for your answers.
Well i wasnt guessing,i was looking for a temporary fix because i am in Romania for holidays,and today i am returning to uk,i just didnt want to drive 2000 miles with that slow acceleration. And i could not trust the mechanics here.
As soon as i arrive in uk i will take the car in the service.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazighman View Post
HI Chaps,
I have got a similar problem with my c180 Kompressor.

my car is quite slow , and smaller engine cars can overtake me easily on acceleration.
last time i replaced my alternator , i found quite a bit of oil in air inlet pipe to the intercooler.

does this mean i have a blocked breather pipe?
i have a diagnostic tool, shall i run a scan and see if any faults show up?
any DIY for these breather pipes change?part n etc?
never had any oil consumption issues.
i had a listen using stethoscope and the supercharger is not making any nasty noise.
cheers chaps

The OP's car has an M111 engine with a M62 S/charger (clutch operated). I'm presuming your car has an M271 and a M45 (direct drive/non clutch). So, really the only likely fault you could have in common is a MAF issue.

I know little about M271's other than they can be prone to 'oil wicking' and timing chain issues both would affect engine performance.

Have a look here and also do some searches on M271's, you should find plenty of info online. oil in engine wiring loom w203

Sent by ismoke signals using a Toshiba.

Last edited by John Jones Jr; 09-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

Car: CLK 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr View Post
The OP's car has an M111 engine with a M62 S/charger (clutch operated). I'm presuming your car has an M271 and a M45 (direct drive/non clutch). So, really the only likely fault you could have in common is a MAF issue.

I know little about M271's other than they can be prone to 'oil wicking' and timing chain issues both would affect engine performance.

Have a look here and also do some searches on M271's, you should find plenty of info online. oil in engine wiring loom w203
Cheers for that.

i think it may have to do with oil getting into the air intake plumbing and then basically getting sucked into the MAF.
i will remove engine cover and have a look when i have time, check the breather pipe condition and clean the MAF ...
my dash doesnt show any t error lights , i will plug in my scanner and see if any faults show up.

thx

thank you
amazighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazighman View Post
Cheers for that.

i think it may have to do with oil getting into the air intake plumbing and then basically getting sucked into the MAF.
i will remove engine cover and have a look when i have time, check the breather pipe condition and clean the MAF ...
my dash doesnt show any t error lights , i will plug in my scanner and see if any faults show up.

thx

thank you

You're welcome but don't take any of my comments as gospel.

Note: There's potentially two different oil issues and they are not related.

The one you mentioned above would be a breather issue, so if you find oil in the MAF do check all breather hoses and anything else like a PCV valve etc (can't be specific, as I said I don't have any experience with these engines).

The other oil issue is oil wicking up the engine loom from the inlet (?) cam adjuster which is mounted on the front of the head. The oil travels up to the engine ECU and I think also down to the o2 sensor. An easy way of telling if you have a wicking problem is to disconnect the engine loom at the ECU and inspect for oil. M-B from memory actually supplied a modified loom connector to the cam adjuster for this specific problem.

Sent by ismoke signals using a Toshiba.

Last edited by John Jones Jr; 09-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr View Post
M-B from memory actually supplied a modified loom connector to the cam adjuster for this specific problem.
BTW, that loom connector should be fitted regardless.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #15
Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car: C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, MK1 Caddy, S500, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebywarlord View Post
A little update.
Seems like i can't fix the kompressor at all now,it just won't engage at all.
The check engine light appeared also,i took a diagnostic test and it says its the o2 sensor.
I ordered a new one and waiting for it to come in.hopefully the kompressor will work then.

Thanks.
Check the loom for oil contamination whern the o2 sensor is fitted. If it has oil in it the sensor will fail again quickly.

You need it on a Star with someone familiar with the 111 engine.

Olly Jonson CM30 pumps in stock for 55k engines.

Prestige car Service: I am listed here on MBClub please click to see services and discounts available.
BlackC55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
230k, acceleration, clk, slow, w208