Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Like Tree1Likes

Old 14-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
I don't believe my 58 c220 does any form of oil condition check as I did a midterm oil change and it made no difference to the service due date.
Yugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: SLK 320/W211 320 CDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
This is the traditional way of doing it.
However, two minutes thought will tell you that its rather arbitrary. So engineers decided to try and actually measure when the oil needs changing. After all, you wouldn't consider changing other things like brake pads on an arbitrary whim such as every year! No, you'd try to figure out a way of telling you when they need changing, such as a pad wear sensor.
It turns out that oil is a tricky thing to measure the quality of as there are so many variables.
It also turns out that oil quality has improved tremendously over the last few years as research has progressed into what it actually does, as has the tolerance of engine manufacture. This has resulted in oils overperforming, and so a normal service life can be pushed out a long way. Bizarrely this has made the need for a quality sensor actually more important to catch the outlier cases, and to help you wring the maximum life out of the oil.
This is fine for commercial vehicles/ships etc where downtime is expensive, and an oil change can use 100s of litres of oil. Sensors exist for these situations though.
Cars are different. They don't normally have a life anywhere near a commercial vehicle so in 95% of cases oil quality isn't going to be the limiting factor. This makes it more of a marketing issue. If you offer a super high tech variable service interval, you can use that to sell more cars.
However, you then sell less oil at services because there are less services if it works properly. Thus there would appear to be a compromise whereby you offer some form of high techery but hobble it so the cars still come back for near annual services.
Companies seem to have got bored with that so have now moved back in general to annual services (Oil is only one thing that needs maintenance after all!) with the option to either buy a discounted service plan, or by buying several years servicing in advance to keep you coming back
That's the problem with over thinking.
lewyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 14-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugguy View Post
I don't believe my 58 c220 does any form of oil condition check as I did a midterm oil change and it made no difference to the service due date.
Was that date 1 yr from the last service?
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #19
Threadstarter

Car: C220 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
There seems to be conflicting opinion

Mr Whitenemesis in the past has quoted the WIS which says it uses capacitance

Extract from WIS doc #gf1840p411102am

"The oil sensor operates in accordance with the capacitive
measuring principle and features integrated electronics which
analyze the three signals (oil level, temperature and quality).

Oil level and oil quality are detected on the basis of the capacitance of the engine oil (dielectric).
The capacitance of the engine oil is as much as 6 times greater if the oil quality is poor."

Maybe they have used more than 1 type of sensor. It seems to have started a heated forum discussion in the past!
Well I seem to have gone 18 months between oil changes, I last changed in April 2015 after 6000 kms
merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
Threadstarter

Car: C220 CDI
Trust the CPU

So Can I trust the CPU to tell me when to change oil or not or should I err on the side of caution and change annually for low mileage?
merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
So Can I trust the CPU to tell me when to change oil or not or should I err on the side of caution and change annually for low mileage?
In my view, you can follow the CPU guidance and go longer than a year on low mileage with no issues whatsoever.
DrNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: B180 CDi W245 in Silver
Much simpler way, MoT due, time for a service first. In theory, it should then always pass the MoT.
Benzowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2009 W204 C180K
The whole point of MB oil specs like 229.5 is that they are formulated for extended oil change intervals so for the poster that said he did regular but infrequent long runs and still a low annual mileage then the oil would be good for up to two years.

For low annual mileage in general there are two provisos:

Low mileage with short trips that don't get the oil warm is severe duty and the oil should be change annually regardless or you will end up with sludge in the engine.

If you happen have an engine where MB forgot how to make them properly e.g. cam chain and sprocket problems then for the cost of an oil change I'd do it annually without fail.
190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugguy View Post
At that date it's likely to be on fixed interval.

On older cars, if you wait until it asks for an oil top-up and then add a certain amount, at least a litre I think, then the distance to service would jump up a couple of K miles.

But whether it's looking at the oil condition, or the ECU is just making an assumption, who knows?

Last edited by Rory; 15-12-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350 CDI W212
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjay View Post
This is correct. When the mileage between services is very low, the car switches from mileage-based service interval to time-based service interval.
I thought this may be the case, but I do around 22-5k per year.
Saying that, it has done 5500 since the last service in July 2016, of which I have done 5k since sept 23rd.

The service indicator has now changed to "service in 10800 miles"

Thanks
such01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #26

Car: S204
I change my engine oil at 5,000 miles regardless of what the computer says, oil is cheap engines are expensive!
Tony
whitenemesis likes this.
Oldlae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indicator, service, work