Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S210 320cdi
Firstly, you will probably find a second hand ESP module for 200 or less - you have a second hand car after all, and they almost never fail.

Moving on though, it is hard to imagine how the ESP module could cut the engine, or stop the starter turning. It does have the facility to control engine output as part of the ESP operation, but not to actually cut the engine.

Really helpful would be a list of all stored and current faults in all modules, I suspect several other CAN faults being reported with the engine ECU.

EDIT: A quick look on ebay shows plenty for sale in the USA at around the 100 mark.
I would expect Dronsfields to have one available.
Always match the exact part number.

Last edited by Alex Crow; 04-01-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Alex Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Threadstarter

Car: CLK 320 (W208)
I've got my car back and took it through to MercSpec in Middlesbrough who I usually use. I'm going to leave it with them until they can get the bottom of whats going on. I'll update with what the final fix is.

Cheers for everyones advice on here.
mtayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Threadstarter

Update as promised.

Mercspec have taken a look and seem to have traced the problem back to the K40 relay module. Whilst tracing the wiring loom they have also found oil leaking into it. They are going to replace the module and clean up the wiring loom and put in a repair to prevent it the oil leaking back there.

Should get the car back early next week. Again thanks everyone for the informative and helpful advice.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Threadstarter

I got the car back yesterday lunch time and all seemed fine. Finsished work, went home started fine. A couple of hours later went shopping and as I went to start it when I finished shopping, the same thing as before, all ignition lights on and the car won't crank at all. Engine fan running at full speed whilst the ignition lights are on.

The car is going back in to the garage today, I managed to phone them lastnight. They did mention that the car was showing some low voltage error codes, I'll see if I can get the full list off them when I take it through today.

I'm really starting to lose faith in the car now.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Threadstarter

Another update from the garage, and everything is pointing towards the Engine ECU being at fault. They've checked all the wiring, no breaks can be found. The car is still getting intermitant voltage issues.

Is this something that I can buy second hand and if so what kind of other work will be needed, ie programming, etc? At the moment a repair is looking at around the 500 mark if it can be done through them.
Old 13-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Threadstarter

I've finally managed to get some of the error codes:

B1102 (9102) Fault in CAN communication with control Unit Engine Control Module
C1022 CAN communictaion with the engine system is faulty
B1416 (9416) Coolant Circulation Pum (A31m1) Fault

EGS Faults

132 CAN Communication with engine system is sporadically disturbed or engine temperature is sporadically implausible

135 CAN Communication with engine system us sporadically disturbed

Any ideas, or is it still pointing at the ECU fault?
Old 13-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car: C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, MK1 Caddy, S500, etc
This looks like an engine control unit fault. I suspect it is the engine control unit that is faulty.

Olly Jonson CM30 pumps in stock for 55k engines.

Prestige car Service: I am listed here on MBClub please click to see services and discounts available.
BlackC55 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackC55 For This Useful Post:
mtayre (13-01-2012)
Old 18-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
Threadstarter

Hello All,

A final update on this one and it's not good. The Engine ECU is faulty cannot be repaired, so that's pretty much it for the car I'm afraid. The interesting part is that prior to my ownership of the car (last 5 years almost to the day) it had been chipped and sold to me without the knowledge of this modification. This has caused the board to fail.

On the plus side I can highly recommend ECUtesting.com, they kept me informed throughout the testing procedure and given me a detailed report on the issue.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Michael
Old 18-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS
Wow that's a shame if the car is in otherwise good condition. Would an ECU from a breaker not do the job - it can't be that often that they fail completely?

Have owned my W208 for a similar length of time and would be gutted if it had to be junked because of an ECU!

Edit >> is there any easy way to know if your car has been chipped?

Last edited by clk208; 18-01-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .
clk208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Threadstarter

I've been in touch with BBA-Reman who can do free running units and there are unable to supply a replacement free running unit for my car.
Phoned Mercedes up and its going to be 1500 all in to get a new Engine ECU and to have it programmed to the car. This will take 10 days as the part is special order from Germany.
This is almost the total value of the car if it was working and I really don't think I can justify spending this much on a 150,000 mile car.
I've checked everywhere for a replacement unit and can't find one anywhere. If only I knew that the car had been chipped when I purchased it I would have stayed well clear. Guess I got sucked in by the full Mercedes Service History.
I have had some good mileage out of the cars whilst I've had it, just worked it out at 80,000 in the five years so guess I can;t complain to much.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #26

Car: laguna 2
have the same problem 220 CDI. hot will not start. the return flow injector ok, the pressure in the launch ramps at injectors ok but no electrical napajanje.da you might have a problem camshaft sensor? with the 1.6 16V Renault vehicles is a problem
trogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #27

Car: clk 320
hi all, got nothing to do with your posts but just wanted to know how i can post on this site??????? can anyone help please
matt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport BMW E90 320 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1986 View Post
hi all, got nothing to do with your posts but just wanted to know how i can post on this site??????? can anyone help please
You just did therefore you know how so why are you asking?
DSM10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #29

Car: clk 320
yeah but i can't start a new one for some reason
matt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport BMW E90 320 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1986 View Post
new thread sorry
Go to the home page, choose the relevant section, Engine etc and there is a new thread button at the top left of that page.
DSM10000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutting, engine, w208, warm