Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Electronics
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Electronics In-Car-Entertainment (ICE), satellite navigation, lighting and wiring

Old 30-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #16

Car: 2002 w211 e220 cdi (2003 shape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shude View Post
Which part is cheaper please? The tail lamp cluster is identical on both sides including bulbs the only difference is a length of wire missing from the side with no lamp. Can't be a huge saving can it?

Modern cars even have the wiring in place but software inhibits the lamp activation!
i was interested in your post saying that more modern cars have the required wiring for the operation of a rear foglight on either side controlled by the software, that seems to be the case on our w211 e220 cdi 2002 reg. would only an mb main dealer be able to alter those settings? we need to alter our uk spec. model to left side rear fog light so that we can put it on spanish plates and pass the mot test there, any advice apreciated, thanks, tony bob.
tony bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
Ted
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: A209 CLK AMG Sport Convertible, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanaia1 View Post
There were a lot of ill thought so called safety ideas in the 1970's and 80's and if you look back not many of them stand the test of time, the genuine safety advances do though, 3 point seatbelts, ABS, Airbags & Curtains etc.
Ah yes! who could forget that great advance in safety - the square steering wheel on the Allegro!

Last edited by Ted; 30-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted For This Useful Post:
flango (30-07-2010), MOCAŠ (04-08-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 30-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanaia1 View Post
Nope! one rear fog is definitely not safer than 2 in the UK look up all the work from TRRL (in fact one of our members works there) The one instead of two argument does not hold up because in the tests almost everyone thought it was a motorcylce braking as they could not see the nearside rear light of the car, those that didn't thought it was a car braking with a brake light out.
So it was not good when drivers assumed it was a motorcycle braking ahead? Did they not brake in this case? Does it make a difference for safety if you brake for one or the other reason when you are supposed to brake?

If the cars brake without a need (the one ahead being far away), that should not be a safety issue (assume no car comes close behind in foggy conditions).
Diesel Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel Benz For This Useful Post:
madmerc1 (30-12-2010)
Old 30-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Never been that happy about the one foglight thing, especially so one particularly foggy night crossing France/Belgium.

There must be some danger of misleading other road users (especially those who ripping past in very poor visibilty) because my single foglight was of course now on the "wrong" side.
Satch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
So it was not good when drivers assumed it was a motorcycle braking ahead? Did they not brake in this case? Does it make a difference for safety if you brake for one or the other reason when you are supposed to brake?

Yes the point is they braked when they did not need to because they could not judge distance

If the cars brake without a need (the one ahead being far away), that should not be a safety issue (assume no car comes close behind in foggy
conditions).

that depends on how hard they brake and that is often what causes the multiple rear end shunts on motorways in fog.
As above
flango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch View Post
Never been that happy about the one foglight thing, especially so one particularly foggy night crossing France/Belgium.

There must be some danger of misleading other road users (especially those who ripping past in very poor visibilty) because my single foglight was of course now on the "wrong" side.
You could always buy a Subaru Legacy, they thought of that one you can have the rear single fog on the left or right or both on together, the Japs used their brains on this one
flango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Many years ago, I wrote to MB on this very issue..never did get a reply though. IMO 2 is better than 1.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 98 CLK320 Sport
Just to throw water on the chip pan, 2 are safer than 1 definitely and you don't need a software mod to have 2. (well I didnt anyway) On my last Volvo S60 ,it was fitted as standard with one (offside) rear fog. On the neasrside cluster there was a blank in the lense but the bulb magazine had provision for the bulb. I fitted a bulb,removed the blank hey presto 2 fog lamps.
On the CLK it was similar but you are not supplied with a bulb holder for the nearside. I bought one for iirc £2.39 from Merc, fitted it and have 2 rear fogs. The loom is in place so why would you need software updating? The one foglight for safety is a load of nonsense. manufacturers do it for country specific reasons so as the lamps meet the minimum legal requirement for that market.
MarkJunedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Banned

We need an MOT merchanic opinion why some cars got one and the others got two. Surely this is Brussel directive.

I am used to two but was surprised when I found out there was only one in W201 and W202 in 1996.
jasonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car: Lots of Mercedes!
a few weeks back I had a "know it all" type of customer come in... He tried very hard to convince me that all of my Mercedes were in fact illegal as they should have two working fog lamps.... I explained the reasoning but he would not have it... he insisted all of my cars were faulty!

I showed him the MOT manual but he still would not believe me...

I didnt sell him a car in the end.... thank god...
jaymanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
From the MoT tester's manual .. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

6. Rear fog lamps

The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of
vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.
Note: On some vehicles the front fog lamps need to be switched on before the rear fog lamp(s) will work
Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

Note: at least 50% of light sources in a lamp must illuminate

Lexus RC300h F-Sport - Something different
CLS55 AMG Awesome car, now sold
C270 CDI - Gone but not Forgotten
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whitenemesis For This Useful Post:
Ted (30-07-2010)
Old 31-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenemesis View Post
From the MoT tester's manual .. MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - lamps and fog lamps

6. Rear fog lamps

The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of
vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.
Note: On some vehicles the front fog lamps need to be switched on before the rear fog lamp(s) will work
Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

Note: at least 50% of light sources in a lamp must illuminate
Well well, as long as there is a rear fog light at the rear or offside, it legal. The law didn't say you cannot have one nearside. It optional, you can fit one if you wish.
jasonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #28

Car: 2002 w211 e220 cdi (2003 shape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJunedd View Post
Just to throw water on the chip pan, 2 are safer than 1 definitely and you don't need a software mod to have 2. (well I didnt anyway) On my last Volvo S60 ,it was fitted as standard with one (offside) rear fog. On the neasrside cluster there was a blank in the lense but the bulb magazine had provision for the bulb. I fitted a bulb,removed the blank hey presto 2 fog lamps.
On the CLK it was similar but you are not supplied with a bulb holder for the nearside. I bought one for iirc £2.39 from Merc, fitted it and have 2 rear fogs. The loom is in place so why would you need software updating? The one foglight for safety is a load of nonsense. manufacturers do it for country specific reasons so as the lamps meet the minimum legal requirement for that market.
hi everyone, re the issue of rear foglamps, the problem we have with our 2002 model w211 e220 cdi is the fact that on this uk spec car the rear fog lamp function is achieved by using the rear tail lights, they are hip bulbs and receive around five volts in normal night driving use, if we pull out the light switch to activate first the front fogs and then the second pull brings on the single (righthand side) rear foglamp these hip tail light bulbs then receive around seven volts to make them brighter = foglamp! to register the car in spain we need to have the rear fog on the left side, wiring? help!
tony bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
Banned

The RED light continued

Just to put my 2pence worth in here, I have a left hooker MB W202 Estate, on the continent the requirement is to have ONE rear Fog light working on the drivers side. But there is no legal reason why you can't have two. The fact is that MB like many other manufacturers provide for BOTH sides at point of manufacture. Personally i prefer two, it is an easy fix as the rear light cluster already has the facility and the lamp fitted. All you need to do is run a single wire from your right or in my case left hand fog lamp (wire joint connector one of those blue things) to the other side and use a spade that can be had from MB or a small speaker spade. so this will also work in Spain, if they insist on only having the one lamp, just pull the original wire from the connector. It took me all of 15 minutes to achieve this mod including soldering the spade on the wire.
ianstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianstaley For This Useful Post:
tony bob (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstaley View Post
Just to put my 2pence worth in here, I have a left hooker MB W202 Estate, on the continent the requirement is to have ONE rear Fog light working on the drivers side. But there is no legal reason why you can't have two. The fact is that MB like many other manufacturers provide for BOTH sides at point of manufacture. Personally i prefer two, it is an easy fix as the rear light cluster already has the facility and the lamp fitted. All you need to do is run a single wire from your right or in my case left hand fog lamp (wire joint connector one of those blue things) to the other side and use a spade that can be had from MB or a small speaker spade. so this will also work in Spain, if they insist on only having the one lamp, just pull the original wire from the connector. It took me all of 15 minutes to achieve this mod including soldering the spade on the wire.
Might this upset the onboard lamp monitor found in later cars?
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foglights, rear, sides, w211