Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Electronics
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Electronics In-Car-Entertainment (ICE), satellite navigation, lighting and wiring

Old 01-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Car: 2007 C180k SE Sportback Coupe / 2003 270ML Inspiration
Heating Controls Issue

Hi
Just wondering if I could pick your brains. The missus had been complaining that sometimes she's cold when driving our 2003 ML270 W163. Not sure if standard but Ive got the LED lit up heating controls. I didnt think anything of it as Id always been warm. Today I was driving and for the first time I noticed it was cold, the fan was above medium and the temp on about 27. I pulled over turned off the ignition, turned it back on and hot air came through. I didnt have Auto on - seems like an electrical related intermitant issue? Had anyone expereinced similar?
Ta

Louis
ldare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
Just check the car is getting up to temperature as the thermostats are very common, if temp is floating around 60 degrees and no higher change the thermostat.
Auto-mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-mobile View Post
Just check the car is getting up to temperature as the thermostats are very common, if temp is floating around 60 degrees and no higher change the thermostat.
Nothing wrong with car getting up to temp, 80. This seens like an electrical issue. Its happened a few times now. You can drive for over an hour and no warm air, quick switch off of ignition at the lights and instant heat. I dont like the digital heating controls.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Threadstarter

Quick Update: Its been to an Indy garage, Merc Tech and that morning the heating was working fine so they couldnt look at it. They said its probably a sticking flap behind the dash - but said it'll probably get worse over time and to come back once its totally failed.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Car: E 350 sport estate
I had this problem on a Peugeot 407. Remove the pollen filter, put fan on a middle speed and squirt WD40 into the heater air intake, whilst someone operates the controls to move the flaps. It worked for me, maybe you will be lucky!
keith of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith of kent View Post
I had this problem on a Peugeot 407. Remove the pollen filter, put fan on a middle speed and squirt WD40 into the heater air intake, whilst someone operates the controls to move the flaps. It worked for me, maybe you will be lucky!
I have been thinking of giving the flaps a good squirt with WD40, not sure if I can get to without pulling the dash? Whats a pain is a few mins after switching her off you can here the flaps close. Digitally controlled is a right bummer wish they would stay as per controller.

The garage said all they could do is put a temperature gun on the cab heating pipes when the car is up to temp but cold in the car. Its not possible to do this as its intermittent.

Ive bought a temp reading gun. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of under the bonnet if where the pipes go in and out of the matrix behind the flaps? Plus the location of the matrix? This will allow me to confirm my suspicions on the digital flaps.

Thanks
Old 14-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Threadstarter

This could be my solution!!

ML320 W163 Blowing Hot Air Stuck - EASY FIX

However this is a left hand drive and when Ive taken my glove box out the module isnt there? Anyone know where it is?
The Following User Says Thank You to ldare For This Useful Post:
Jane270ML (14-01-2017)
Old 14-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ML 270 Cdi
I think it's item 53 on this diagram... Heater case with blower for Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI parts catalog

Not removed it myself, but reading the above repair link, I'd guess it's above the steering column on a RHD.
I'd remove the lower trim on RH side of center console to check if it's there.
Jane270ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #9
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane270ML View Post
I think it's item 53 on this diagram... Heater case with blower for Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI parts catalog

Not removed it myself, but reading the above repair link, I'd guess it's above the steering column on a RHD.
I'd remove the lower trim on RH side of center console to check if it's there.
Excellent link - Many Thanks!
I think its item, is the diagram from a LHD ?

Really appreciate the reply.
Thanks
Old 15-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
Threadstarter

Im making progress :-)

Im looking at part 8 in the glovebox A1638302662 but the curved part is on the left, so could be drawn as if looking through the bonnet? I'll keep looking abot :-)

Tags
controls, heating, issue