Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Electronics
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Electronics In-Car-Entertainment (ICE), satellite navigation, lighting and wiring

Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Car: A250 AMG Sport
Connecting a Becker Map Pilot to a PC

Just collected my new A class today, fitted with the Becker Map Pilot System.

"When you get it home, connect the unit to your PC to check for updates", said the dealer. Several frustrating hours later, I still cannot get the PC to read the Becker Unit. I can see the unit in Windows Explorer, (it says it is a CD Drive) but I cannot open the device itself, to Install the Content Manager. I downloaded and installed the content manager from the web, but that just sits there "spinning its wheels" and doing nothing. I am now lost for ideas. I have tried turning off my security software, but no luck there either.

Anybody else experienced this, or got any suggestions?
GRB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
What version of Windows are you using? Try an alternative USB cable that fits? When you open the Content manager it should automatically start looking for the map pilot and give you a message saying so . Other possibility is ---Have you removed the map pilot internal battery transit insulation tab?
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C Class Coupe
You need to download Becker content Manager. go to the Becker Map Pilot web site and navigate to downloads and download the Becker content manager it's a zip file, once its downloaded double click and follow the instructions, it's very straightforward . Once you have installed it you can connect your unit. Downloading and updating the software and maps is straight forward, but can easily take three hours.
asinrutee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Threadstarter

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. The unit works OK in the car (although it has problems recognising 7 digit UK postcodes properly), and I have checked the battery tab has been removed. I am using Windows 7 Home Professional, and I have downloaded the content manager from the web, after failing to get the unit to install the software automatically. I then just seem to get stuck in a loop, where the software won't start properly, as it says it can't find the unit, so it says close the software and reconnect. You try that, and find yourself back in the same loop again!. I have tried an alternative USB lead, but that seems to make no difference. The unit "appears" in windows explorer and says CD Drive (K) Becker Content Manager, but single or double clicking has no effect on accessing the device itself.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CDI220 AMG Sport Plus Saloon Arrived 6th March 2013 Still Happy!
Is the pc your using a company one with vpn this did cause me some issues?
ashadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashadam View Post
Is the pc your using a company one with vpn this did cause me some issues?
Hi Ashadam, its a personal computer, but I may try my wifes netbook to see if it will connect to that
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

When you connect the unit does the autoload start if so try to cancel, after starting the content manager it should say initially becker not connected?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB996
Hi Ashadam, its a personal computer, but I may try my wifes netbook to see if it will connect to that
Strange. It works on my wife's very slow netbook , but not on my much faster PC. I will have to investigate further.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB996 View Post
Strange. It works on my wife's very slow netbook , but not on my much faster PC. I will have to investigate further.
I had similar issue then used another pc and I could not believe how fast it was in the end, you should get a few updates including a firmware update. Its a great unit once up and running, also I don't think the additional add ons have got much good mentions but a few threads discussing on site just do a search.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes C250 CDI Estate AMG Sport Plus
Quote:

Do you use IE7 (or higher) on both machines? Not sure it will work with Firefox, Chrome etc.
edstrom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200CDI Estate
Multi USB drive computers can have naming problems. [ Ones with multi card readers for example. You mentioned drive K If the Becker software doesn't expect a K drive it won't work You could try re-asigning the drive letter to see if that helps? How To: Show/Hide Drive Letters In Windows 7 & Vista
grober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: B Class (W246)
Quote:

Assuming you have more than 1 USB socket on the laptop try in a different socket, sometimes when you plug devices in they don't register properly and it may resolve in a different socket.

If it still won't find the device in Content Manager but shows in Windows Explorer you could try opening up Device Manager (right click on My Computer and choose manage and it should appear in tree.)

Remove the USB lead from Becker unit, open up USB part of tree in Dev Manager and plug Becker back in. When a new USB device appears right click on it, choose uninstall and unplug the device again.

When you plug in now it will ( or should) show that its installing drivers on task bar. It may ask if you want to set what it should do by default when plugged in but close that window without making any choice, likewise if it mentions scanning the device.
RTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RTaylor For This Useful Post:
GRB996 (06-04-2013), igk1 (04-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
Threadstarter

Thanks to RTaylor for his suggestions. I tried them today, and they seemed to be heading me in the right direction, but I have now used another PC to update the Becker unit. My conclusion is that the problem lies with the PC, not the Becker Unit, so this is now time to go to another forum with that problem :-)
Old 24-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #14

Car: C200 CDi
If I had hair I'd be tearing it out. I live in France, and have a C200CDi estate 2012. Like the OP, I just cannot get the PC (and I've tried three different ones) to recognise the unit for updates. I went to the dealership, who firstly told me only they have right and 150€ thank you. I demurred, and finally they agreed that's why the USB cable is included. They said it was not their problem but Becker's. I phone Becker and spent a frustrating hour on line and finally she agreed there had to be a problem and sent me back to Mercedes. Today they took the car in and I explained that I needed the radar sites installed. When I picked up the car an hour ago they had done nothing, reiterating that it was an option and up to me to do it. Round and round we go and no solution. Finally, they've given me a new unit. Surprise surprise, the unit isn't recognised by the PC - any of them. Yes, I've downloaded the programme, deleted it and reinstalled it, I've reinstalled Adobe and suppressed my anti-virus and firewall, but to no avail. Any suggestions?
lowdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Car: W246 B Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdrag
If I had hair I'd be tearing it out. I live in France, and have a C200CDi estate 2012. Like the OP, I just cannot get the PC (and I've tried three different ones) to recognise the unit for updates. I went to the dealership, who firstly told me only they have right and 150€ thank you. I demurred, and finally they agreed that's why the USB cable is included. They said it was not their problem but Becker's. I phone Becker and spent a frustrating hour on line and finally she agreed there had to be a problem and sent me back to Mercedes. Today they took the car in and I explained that I needed the radar sites installed. When I picked up the car an hour ago they had done nothing, reiterating that it was an option and up to me to do it. Round and round we go and no solution. Finally, they've given me a new unit. Surprise surprise, the unit isn't recognised by the PC - any of them. Yes, I've downloaded the programme, deleted it and reinstalled it, I've reinstalled Adobe and suppressed my anti-virus and firewall, but to no avail. Any suggestions?
You could try deleting the Device that appears in Device Manager when you plug it in then disconnecting it and reconnecting, this should force it to try and find a driver for it Device again.

If you let me know what version of windows your using I will give you the steps
Rctaylor1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
becker, connecting, map, pilot