Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Electronics
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk


Electronics In-Car-Entertainment (ICE), satellite navigation, lighting and wiring

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
New Member
 
gudikcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China - Shanghai
Car: W212 E 300 L
Posts: 29
W212 NTG 4 to NTG 4.5 Retrofit

Hello again everybody.

I have W212 E250 CDI. It's factory exit year 2010. I was retrofit Comand NTG 4 to it but I buy a new NTG 4.5 Comand Online last month.

I buy a new screen picture cable for NTG 4.5 from local dealer. The part number is : A2074401413. NTG 4 and NTG 4.5 screen cables are different.
I plug in but comand was not operate.
I understand that I have problems with the telematic can cable. The screen takes opening signal from telematic can cable. NTG 4 telematic can cables are at black socket in the big socket. I can not open the screen before changing this cables. I take the telematic CAN HIGH and LOW cables from black plug to white plug. Pin numbers are 6 and 12.
Then i can open the screen.
The AM / FM antenna socket's are same, purple is bluetooh antenna , blue is gps antenna.
NTG 4.5 has got 3 video input. Nightvision , Rear View camera and video aux. I retrofit rear view camera too. The rear view camera socket is the right side of the twin green socket.
I buy a camera from ebay. And i retrofit it. It's not original.



I can use the video aux over media interface at the same time with rear view camera. NTG 4.5 is perfect on this.

I buy a USB port from local dealer. Part number is : A1728200515
I buy a W204 NTG 4.5 screen cable for this USB data transfer. I use it. They are same. The part number is : A2044406537. I only convert the head of the socket for operate usb.
I put this USB port to near the media interface socket in the glove box then plug the pink socket to back of the head unit.



I update the media interface box software to latest version. The media interface works with NTG 4.5 over the most.



When i turn on the ignition , theft protection screen comes. The seller gives the 25 digit theft key to me. I plug the star diagnosis to my car. I enter the theft key with from xentry but i can not do the scn coding.
Because my car has not got 512 code 6 DVD changer at my vin number.
I was using 527 single Comand NTG 4.

I have friend in factory. I contact with him. He add's the 512 to my vin number. When i try to make the SCN coding, i take an error. Then he adds the 088 code for NTG 4.5. I do it. He generate the europe dvd 6 digit serial for me. NTG 4.5 needs password for navigation data too.

System works perfectly. I can enter the comand online system now.





the instrument cluster can communicate with the comand online head unit. I havent problem on this after instrument cluster software update.



I am using Blackberry 9700 with 6.0 operating system. Everything works with this phone. I can read SMS , I take the phonebook instant and i can use comand online.

Here is the some photos after retrofit. If you have questions please write me or visit our turkey mercedes forum Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Forum Club Türkiye. Mercedes severlerin ortak bulu



thank you.
gudikcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gudikcik For This Useful Post:
Diesel Benz (16-07-2012), Peter DLM (16-07-2012), The Boss (19-07-2012)
Old 15-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hampshire
Car: 2011 S212 350 Sport with Brabus D6S
Posts: 226
It seems you have done the impossible or have a lot of money, or both. I inquired at comand-online and it seemed it would require to change a lot more of the car than you seem to have had to. Well done.

Please update if you experience any other issues.
wilsodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Authorised Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Berkshire, UK
Car: MY04 SL55, MY17 GLC250d AMG Sport
Posts: 5,170
wilsodg - our worry was the inability to generate PIN codes for the map rather than much of the other stuff - if you can't unlock the map, buying NTG4.5 unit would be a waste of time. Of course, on a W204 its impossible without changing the dashboard, but W207/W212 is same shape between NTG4 and NTG4.5

Option code 088 is used to signify NTG4.5 in the changeover year between NTG4 and NTG4.5, so its nice to know it worked in a MY2010 car (assuming his car was MY2010 not MY2011)

Now all the OP needs to do is to add the full colour instrument cluster !!

(And wilsodg, now we know its possible, I'm sure Alfie will be very happy to do such a conversion)

Richard
__________________
Of course i'll take it apart.

Comand Online Ltd: We're listed on MBClub - please click to see our products and discounts available.

My current cars Mods: GLC250d Integrated Garage Door opener, Residual Heat. 04 R230
SL55, Full 2009 COMAND/DAB/etc System.
Previous Mercs: W176 A220CDi, W166 ML63, W164 ML63, W164 ML500, W163 ML500, W169 A180CDI, R230 SL55, W163 ML430, W208 CLK55, 98 R129 SL500, W208 CLK320, R170 SLK230, 1st MB=R129 SL320.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hampshire
Car: 2011 S212 350 Sport with Brabus D6S
Posts: 226
Thanks for the offer Richard! I think I'll wait a wee while to see if any more gremlins appear. I'm wondering about warranty and map upgrades and... cost. No doubt you can think of some others. Presumably could sell the NTG4 to offset the cost a bit?
wilsodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
New Member
Threadstarter
 
gudikcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China - Shanghai
Car: W212 E 300 L
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsodg View Post
It seems you have done the impossible or have a lot of money, or both. I inquired at comand-online and it seemed it would require to change a lot more of the car than you seem to have had to. Well done.

Please update if you experience any other issues.
thanks for reply.

I haven't lots of money. In turkey all of mercedes vehicles has got factory fitted Audio 20 sound system. Because whe haven't got turkey navigation map. Only qualified mercedes owners knows what is comand system. We use the navigation map with comand over the comand's video aux mode connecting iphone.

My friend request comand system from me like my car.
I found a NTG 4.5 for him. It costs expensive for him. Then i buy NTG 4.5 for me then i give NTG 4 from my car to him.

NTG 4.5 and NTG 4 differences are :
On NTG 4 phonebook , you must download by hand to comand head unit.
ON NTG 4.5 , you dont need to download the phone book. Comand can take instant from cell phone

on NTG 4 = music register can only copy mp3 files from memory card.
On NTG 4.5 = music register can copy mp3 files from usb , memory card and cd or dvd.

On ntg 4 = you can not display sms over bluetooth. You need bluetooth sap module.
On ntg 4.5 = you dont need bluetooth sap module for reading sms.

On ntg 4 = if you connect the rear view camera. you can not use the video aux mode at the same time.
On ntg 4.5 = you can use both of them at the same time.

On ntg 4 = you can not see the fuel consumption on comand screen
On ntg 4.5 = you can see it.

on ntg 4.5 you can find hotels or restaurants over internet and navigate with navigation, on ntg 4 you can not do it.

on ntg 4 = you need to use usb flash drive over media interface, on ntg 4.5 you can connect usb directly without media interface.
gudikcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Car: mercede e class
Posts: 8
Hello gudikcik need your help .. as I write to you?
my emai: francobuona@alice.it

Last edited by francobuona; 18-07-2012 at 11:06 AM.
francobuona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Car: mercede e class
Posts: 8
excuse francobuona@alice.it
francobuona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
New Member
Threadstarter
 
gudikcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China - Shanghai
Car: W212 E 300 L
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by francobuona View Post
Hello gudikcik need your help .. as I write to you?
my emai: francobuona@alice.it
what do you want to know?
gudikcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
New Member
 
archisoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Taipei, TAIWAN
Car: 2011 E350 Coupe
Posts: 12
So the USB port is to the pink socket of NTG 4.5?
Could you send me the image of this USB port pat
Thanks
archi.mail@msa.hinet.net
archisoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car: S350
Posts: 42
gudikcik thanks a lot. I was researching whether or not one could upgrade a 201 Eclass from 4 to 4.5. I just traded up to an Eclass from my C300. And I was highly interested in getting a NTG 4.5 head unit. One question that I have is whether or not the display from the 2010 is compatible with the NTG 4.5 units. Sounds like it may not be and you need the display with the newer head unit? Is that correct?
C30077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car: S350
Posts: 42
Another question is - have any of you heard of the refurbishment factory in Germany that Mercedes operates? I heard that they take components from wrecked cars and insure they work and resell them? I heard that the prices are very inexpensive, and I was trying to get some contact info for them. Do you know anyone that might know of them and have their contact info? Thanks
C30077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
 
RichardM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Essex
Car: 2011 CLS350 CDI
Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudikcik View Post
thanks for reply.

I haven't lots of money. In turkey all of mercedes vehicles has got factory fitted Audio 20 sound system. Because whe haven't got turkey navigation map. Only qualified mercedes owners knows what is comand system. We use the navigation map with comand over the comand's video aux mode connecting iphone.

My friend request comand system from me like my car.
I found a NTG 4.5 for him. It costs expensive for him. Then i buy NTG 4.5 for me then i give NTG 4 from my car to him.

NTG 4.5 and NTG 4 differences are :
On NTG 4 phonebook , you must download by hand to comand head unit.
ON NTG 4.5 , you dont need to download the phone book. Comand can take instant from cell phone

on NTG 4 = music register can only copy mp3 files from memory card.
On NTG 4.5 = music register can copy mp3 files from usb , memory card and cd or dvd.

On ntg 4 = you can not display sms over bluetooth. You need bluetooth sap module.
On ntg 4.5 = you dont need bluetooth sap module for reading sms.

On ntg 4 = if you connect the rear view camera. you can not use the video aux mode at the same time.
On ntg 4.5 = you can use both of them at the same time.

On ntg 4 = you can not see the fuel consumption on comand screen
On ntg 4.5 = you can see it.

on ntg 4.5 you can find hotels or restaurants over internet and navigate with navigation, on ntg 4 you can not do it.

on ntg 4 = you need to use usb flash drive over media interface, on ntg 4.5 you can connect usb directly without media interface.
I still can't figure out if mine is NTG 4 or 4.5. How do I know?

I have a PCMCIA slot not the newer SD slot, I don't have Comand Online and I can't seem to read SMS from my iPhone so I thought it might be NTG4.

But from the list above I can get a fuel consumption graph, I can copy MP3s from the DVD drive (but not the USB port) and it did download/access the address book automatically. So it seems like I have a mix of the two!
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car: S350
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I still can't figure out if mine is NTG 4 or 4.5. How do I know?

I have a PCMCIA slot not the newer SD slot, I don't have Comand Online and I can't seem to read SMS from my iPhone so I thought it might be NTG4.

But from the list above I can get a fuel consumption graph, I can copy MP3s from the DVD drive (but not the USB port) and it did download/access the address book automatically. So it seems like I have a mix of the two!
you have NTG 4, you have the PCMCIA slot, the NTG 4.5 has the SD card slot.
C30077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C30077 For This Useful Post:
RichardM (02-09-2012)
Old 29-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Car: Mb w204 City
Posts: 3
Hello I am new to this, I communicate from Argentina, just change a 1.8 C200 Cgi Blueficiency C200 2011 for one city 0km same engine but with other more sensors face forward as stopping the engine to stop running, is the cheapest of class C in this country.
My concern is that this stereo brings a key that says NAV, but when you touch me says it has no interface .. I wanted to know if you can add an interface to put a reversing camera and a GPS, or if it brings but deconectada as you issue? .. from and appreciate your response. Greetings.
mcurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Car: E350 CDI Avantgarde
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I still can't figure out if mine is NTG 4 or 4.5. How do I know?

I have a PCMCIA slot not the newer SD slot, I don't have Comand Online and I can't seem to read SMS from my iPhone so I thought it might be NTG4.

But from the list above I can get a fuel consumption graph, I can copy MP3s from the DVD drive (but not the USB port) and it did download/access the address book automatically. So it seems like I have a mix of the two!
How do you view the fuel consumption graph on your coman screen? I cant seem to find that option, do I need to enable it via engineer menu? I have fuel consumption details in my instrument panel, but not via comand screen.
phil288 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil288 For This Useful Post:
kman2k (25-10-2013)
Reply

Tags
ntg, ntg45, retrofit, w212


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 PM.


MB club UK is A Mercedes Enthusiast club run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, MBClub UK is in no way affiliated with Mercedes-Benz, DaimlerChrysler or any of their respective trademarks. The posted views of our members are in no way the views of MBClub.co.uk or its owners.
Find us on Google+