Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Electronics
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

Electronics In-Car-Entertainment (ICE), satellite navigation, lighting and wiring

Old 25-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #1

Car: E240 Estate (S211/2004)
How to unlock DVD display on COMAND APS while driving?

Hello all,

I read here that some have been able to unlock the display playback of DVD movies on the COMAND APS while driving.

Yesterday I had my car serviced and asked the technician to enable DVD display playback while driving, but he couldn't find out how to do that. He even said to me if I would find out how to do it, he'd be glad to hear about it.

I own a E240 Estate (model 2004) with COMAND APS factory fitted.

Can anyone tell me exactly how to enable picture playback while driving?

(I'm sorry if this is a double post, but after 1 hour of searching the forom, I didn't find the answer yet)
lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2007 VW Golf R32
Why?

Apart from being illegal it's also potentially very dangerous.

If you have a legitemate reason for wanting to do this I would love to hear it.
Plodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-11-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W212 E250 Avantgarde
Maybe a passenger (front) would like to watch something whilst driving.....

When i have a front seat passenger often they watch DVD's on my laptop whilst I drive..(very safetly too) :-))
splang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Threadstarter

ok, whether this is legal or not is really another discussion. I can allways put my laptop on the dash and hook the audio to the AUX input... Also, is it illegal to be able to, or just to use it? is it illegal in all countries I visit?

If you really want to know, when going on hollidays I have 3 to 4 other people in the car, continuously anoying me with the fact they cannot watch their favourite movie while just sitting in the car for over 10 hours. Ofcourse I don't want the display for myself when I'm driving!
But it's also incredibly stupid that the front passenger has absolutely no way of seeing the movie, and in my case also the rear passengers since I didn't get the rear displays in the first place because when I ordered the car I didn't realize the COMAND could play movie DVD's...

Doesn't anyone know how it is done?
Old 26-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie

Doesn't anyone know how it is done?
Dealers can do it, but wont. Unless you grease the hand of the right person in the workshop, or if you know your dealer well, ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.

Also companies like Braybrooks can offer 'advice' on getting this done. (If your in the UK, dont know of any in Belgium)

Previous Mercs:
2010 C63 AMG Estate PP+ | 2007 Mercedes CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet | CL65 AMG | CL55 AMG | SL350 | CL500 | ML320 | CLK430 Cab | CLK230 Cab | A160

Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W203 slightly modified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maff
Dealers can do it, but wont. Unless you grease the hand of the right person in the workshop, or if you know your dealer well, ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.

Also companies like Braybrooks can offer 'advice' on getting this done. (If your in the UK, dont know of any in Belgium)
I doubt that you can just pay for this since it requires the correct version of Star Diagnosis to provide this function. With this particular 2004 and 2005 series of W211 (e-class) I have read many posts by MBENZNL with clear advice on what is and what isnt possible.

The newer the car the more likely it needs upgraded version of Star Diagnose. Last week when Steve was in Australia he pointed out to me that the number of people in Europe that can unlock MP3 capable APS50 2004 E-Class was less a handful at most.

A lot of the advice around the place relates to the earlier models and old firmware.
Old 26-11-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
Threadstarter

Well, I just had the dealer have a go at it yesterday, but he didn't manage. He didn't told me, but I'm pritty sure they updated the soft. I noticed some modified texts and info on the navigation screens, and now it hapilly plays my MP3 DVD+RW which it wouldn't 2 days ago. Still he didn't know how to do what I asked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maff
..., ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.
So, if I read this correctly, they must have some kind of device to hook up to the vehicule which lets you alter these kind of parameters? Just as easy as that?
Well then, I'd better head back there and have a go at it myself then if the dealer couldn't figure that out for himself
Old 26-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro
Last week when Steve was in Australia he pointed out to me that the number of people in Europe that can unlock MP3 capable APS50 2004 E-Class was less a handful at most.
Well, since yesterday my Belgian S211 COMAND APS happily plays MP3. I dunno what version it is, but i'm guessing 50. As I said in my previous post I guess it's because of the presumed software update...
Old 26-11-2004, 12:58 AM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E 270CDI aka Gunther
Hmm, if your passenger(s) are so desperate to watch the movie, ie not talking / or in any other way communicate with the driver ....
league67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 08:07 AM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Well, Lexie... If your current head unit looks like the one in this link:

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/instal...o&PhotoID=2314

it's a Euro W211 comand. And if you do have that unit, TV / DVD in motion is possible. Like Miroj said, Steve MBenzNL knows how to do the trick.

Furthermore, if you want the passengers in the rear to be able to watch TV / DVD as well while driving for 10 hours or more, how about this set up?:

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/instal...o&PhotoID=2445
http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/instal...o&PhotoID=2446

You do need an additional remote control with the rear monitor, though!~

Greetingz,

BigSis
BigSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Yes it can be done some versions of the 211 COMAND.

Yes, I agree with 'PLOD'

Yes it is illegal to have your laptop play a video in view of the driver, whilst they are driving

Yes I agree that the question is can it be done not whether it is illegal

That though is not a responsible attitude. If a dealer adapts the COMAND as a favour I gaurantee that if the driver kills someone they will not take responsibilty for their actions. "Yes it was my fault" Is not the most common statement heard in any court of law.

The conversion is not for me, it's for the front seat passenger, yes okay if you believe that, but again be honest with yourself, there will be a 'noise' or 'shout' and you will be tempted to look. The passenger might say, "Cor, look at THAT!!!" At 60mph you are travelling at just under thirty yards a second. Just think about that.

Yes the 211 COMAND can be converted.

Yes my COMAND displays a map that can be seen by the driver whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Regards to you all,
John
glojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
Threadstarter

John, I am aware of safety and therefor fully respect your opinion on this matter. Maybe I crossed the line here by asking this very question on this forum.

As what the legal part is concerned, I don't know yet exactly what the Belgian law (where I live) has to say about it, but I'll have this checked soon enough.
Old 26-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
Administrator

Car: CLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plodd
If you have a legitemate reason for wanting to do this I would love to hear it.
It's for watching DVDs while running the car on a dynamometer. Happens all the time!

CLK55 AMG | Mods: ViseeO, AMG mats, Flat bonnet ornament, Club Pedals
Shude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shude For This Useful Post:
Starky (17-09-2012)
Old 26-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shude
It's for watching DVDs while running the car on a dynamometer. Happens all the time!
Or when sitting waiting for the wife when she is shopping.
Brian WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie
John, I am aware of safety and therefor fully respect your opinion on this matter. .
Hi Lexie,
Please, do not take me to seriously. I tend to 'rant' a little over issues that I have a strong opinion on. I should have ignored the question

Take care,
John
glojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aps, comand, display, driving, dvd, unlock