Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > ------> Mercedes Performance > AMG Lounge
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

AMG Lounge
For the tuning of AMG Lorinser WALD Hamann Brabus Carlsson Vaeth Kleeman Renntech Mosselman Volstrom Weistec as well as Tuning and Eurocharged Mercedes remap

Like Tree4Likes

Old 24-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Car: looking for a merc
potential cls55 onwer looking for advice

hi guys, im considering the purchase if my dream car, the cls55 in a month or two and am looking to start gathering some information on them.

id be interested to hear feedback from current owners on typical running costs and what common things to look out for when viewing.

cheers
chris-durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: w211 e55k
I have a w211 e55 which shares alot of the running gear with the Cls, have a look at my Project thread as i think i've probably covered alot of the usual stuff lol

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclu...ml#post2411467
merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLS55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-durham View Post
hi guys, im considering the purchase if my dream car, the cls55 in a month or two and am looking to start gathering some information on them.

id be interested to hear feedback from current owners on typical running costs and what common things to look out for when viewing.

cheers
I own a CLS55, great choice of car and you will not be disappointed.

What can and does go wrong (certainly on mine)

Break pump failure
IMAP Sensor
Key fob module
Keyless go door handles
Rocker cover gasket seals

Look for corroded rear brake pipes, rocker cover oil leak, warped or pitted discs and check all electrics work, especially airmatic suspension settings, seat settings, command etc.

In general they are pretty strong cars and the engines very robust.

I've had mine just over 3 years and before spending a few quid last week on mods and major mechanical work, I think I estimated the car has cost me just over 1k a year to own and that's including services, MOTs, tyres etc. Which I think is quite good for a car of this nature.

If you are thinking of buying a Merc warranty with your car IMO you would be better of putting the cost of that in the bank and maybe keep topping it up every now and again just in case a big repair bill comes in. If not, you have a nice holiday maybe.

I was lucky with the break pump failure on mine in that the dealer and Mercedes both bore the cost of the fix which was 2.5k I believe.

If you have any other questions just fire away and try a search using the search function on here as there are lots of useful threads and posts.

The 55 is cheaper to tax and considered better than the 63, it's a real striking and beautiful car that will surely become a future classic.

Last edited by ChrisCLS55; 24-01-2017 at 05:31 PM.
ChrisCLS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Car: CLS55 AMG
They eat rear tyres!
Lenny63 and NDFR like this.
KillerHERTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Thug in a silk dressing gown
The only thing that makes the AMG more expensive than any other W219 (or 211) is the way you drive it. Stamp on the accelerator a lot and it will drink fuel and eat tyres.

If you get one registered before mid March 06 (very few aren't) road tax is pegged at half what anything similar but slighter newer would be. Most have found them cheaper to insure than the 3.0l diesel. If you don't do a lot of miles they only need servicing every couple of years.

The car specific big bill items like SBC pump, air shocks etc are just down to bad luck if they happen during your ownership, otherwise no different to any other big saloon of its generation.
b1g1an is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Car: CLS55
I've had my 55 for a couple of months now and I love it!

I went over all the service books and invoices when I looked at mine. An issue I saw on other cars were seat pumps on dynamic seats failing (1k fix) and suspension compressors failing. Depending on mileage have a look to see if those have been done in past. Also things like engine and gearbox mounts need replacing.

Best mpg has been about 23, worst was 9 but I don't really pay much attention to that.

I had a shock blow which was 1400 but I did have a warranty which picked up most of the cost.

I have a B service coming up and I will also get the gearbox serviced (600 inc). I'll need a couple of rear tyres soon which are about 180 each.

For the amount of enjoyment it's absolutely worth every penny...You won't regret owning one!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Greyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Car: CLS55 AMG 06, SL350, 996cab
Well Ive had mine (cls55) now for about 6 months. Its a great bit of kit and very different to drive to my last W211 E500 which was a quick almost silent limo. This is a much more full on (bonkers!) drive when you want it to be, but also cruises in total, quiet luxury. Perfect combo. The only things I have had go wrong (and were wrong when I bought it ) are three Keyless door handles and 2 parking sensors. Otherwise no problems. I anticipate around 2k pa to run it as even silly things are expensive (as per all Mercedes) which is fine as I doubt they will depreciate much further and will be worth keeping in top condition. Spec I wouldnt do without are; glass sunroof, keyless go, command, Harmon Kardon sound and distronic cruise if you happen to find one. Dynamic seats are fun but never really use them. Cooling seats are a complete waste of time as they literally dont do anything you can notice (they use ambient air not a/c air).
get a good one and you will love it (2500 rpm in second using manual mode and then floor it to 6000....guaranteed to make you smile)
Gbrowncls55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
Quote:

cheers
Everything concerning the search for a CLS55 is covered in the thread below for an E55. There is some very useful info on what to look for, even though its an old thread.

Viewing and Test drive tips
AMGeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: CLS 55 AMG
I bought one in July spent around 1500 to bring it up to Lenny standard
Since July and 3k miles I have had the following bigger items done :

- new alternator
- alignment issues
- new rear tyres
- valve cover gaskets & breathers sealed
- 2 parking sensors not working
- airmatic level sensor
- rattly secondary cats (not fixed yet)
- 1x keyless door handle (not fixed yet)

Being honest a lot of these are down to age and not really issues as such so I don't hold it against the car at all

The bigger items I worry about are ; airmetic struts and seizing brake calipers

They are a well screwed together car , I get comments about it everywhere and they are bruially quick when you need it

Warning : you will probably want to modify t so budget another 2k for ezhaust , pulley , remap and lowering

Additional warning : if you like fuel economy , you will hate this !!! Lol
Lenny63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Threadstarter

Car: looking for a merc
seen this one just come on ebay any comments?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262826457821
chris-durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Sl65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-durham
seen this one just come on ebay any comments? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262826457821

This one is higher spec with new water and air suspension pumps fitted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252734020135
JattAmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JattAmg View Post
This one is higher spec with new water and air suspension pumps fitted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252734020135
Pictures from the summer, been on sale a while...
Old 28-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Sl65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerHERTZ
Pictures from the summer, been on sale a while...
Had bright sunshine here today.....
JattAmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLS55
Quote:
seen this one just come on ebay any comments?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262826457821

Nice color. I'd want to know what has been done to the car or rather what hasn't as that's a cheap CLS55 compared to most out there.
ChrisCLS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JattAmg View Post
Had bright sunshine here today.....
Look at the trees in the photos.

Tags
advice, cls55, onwer, potential