Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > ------> Mercedes Performance > AMG Lounge
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

AMG Lounge
For the tuning of AMG Lorinser WALD Hamann Brabus Carlsson Vaeth Kleeman Renntech Mosselman Volstrom Weistec as well as Tuning and Eurocharged Mercedes remap

Like Tree1Likes

Old 29-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

Car: CLS55
Wheels for winter tyres, worth it?

Hi guys,

I have a CLS55 and on this wintry morning with the rear losing traction a few times began thinking of getting some winter tyres. Looked on ebay, seen these:

AMG CLS55 staggered 18" wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 3, tyre pressure monitor | eBay

Am considering bidding for these and if I win, sell the Pilot Sport 3 on them and swop for with winter specific tyres. Do you guys think it's worth having winter tyres when we don't always have snow?
3:16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #2

Car: C63
It's well worth doing . I'm running Vredstein Wintrac Xtreme S on my standard 19's and the traction increase is very noticeable compared to the Michelin 's . I'm looking forward to going out shortly today .
Captain Smerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Car: R172 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3:16 View Post
Do you guys think it's worth having winter tyres when we don't always have snow?
Absolute, 300% yes to winter tyres. Your CLS will go precisely nowhere in much more than an inch of snow on a slight incline and the difference is Night & Day. Moreover, winter tyres will already be working better than a typical summer sports tyre once temps get down below 7 or 8degC. Grip in the wet, slimy winter is much better all round on winters, even if there is no snow. And a second set of wheels with winters on, ready for an easy swap in November is by far and away the nest way to do it.

A complete no brainer as far as I am concerned. Have a look in the handbook for the recommended winter size (typically one less in terms of width than the summer version), but I pam personally very happy with both the ContiWinterContacts (TS830) on the SLK55 and Goodyear Ultragrips on my wifes' S2000. FWIW, the S2000 wouldn't even move around the flat driveway in the 2010 snowstorms that hit the UK when it was on RE050's, but the very next week drove into places where only Defenders were prepared to travel, without the slightest care in the world. Sure, a stiff LSD and less than 1300kg helps, but it was a revelation. Roll on more snow this year please.....
R1NGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
They make a difference when it's cold and wet, not just when the white stuff is around. I had a set for my s203, and it made a major difference with the white stuff and felt secure in the wet and cold. Now have a set for my S204, didn't bother fitting them last year as I had new tyres all round (Eagle F1's) but with the forecast for winter, even here in East Kent, am seriously considering fitting them this year.

IMHO you're taking the decent approach of a full set of rims and tyres rather than just changing tyres on existing rims. I would not want the chance of my recently refurbed AMG 17's getting scratched by changing tyres twice a year.
Chrishazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, all great points and noted, most useful!
Old 29-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
ftb
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2010 C220CDI Estate, 2005 CLS55AMG Coupe next week
It's a personal preference of course but I'd just get a set of all-season tyres instead. Two birds, one stone.
ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Car: C63
Thumbs up

My village tyre man is excellent , extra careful , doesn't leave a mark . Thanks John !
Captain Smerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W205 C200
I've just fitted a full set of Michelin CrossClimate tyres after a conversation with Michelin themselves. Their view was that UK weather doesn't really merit using the full winter tyres used in cold climates, but the CrossClimates are a good option here. So far, I would say that the ride is somewhat more compliant than that of the Michelins that were fitted from new. I can't comment on their performance in bad weather yet.
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
If getting a second set of wheels for fitting winter tyres I'd go for the same width all round, as shown in the handbook. Far more choice available and usually cheaper too.

Mytyres do some great deals on wheel and tyre combos, using the most popular winter rims for Mercs.
whitenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFleet View Post
I've just fitted a full set of Michelin CrossClimate tyres after a conversation with Michelin themselves. Their view was that UK weather doesn't really merit using the full winter tyres used in cold climates, but the CrossClimates are a good option here.
I agree with this with a couple of qualifications:
  1. The climate in some parts of the country probably does warrant full winter tyres (you'll know if you live somewhere that's the case)
  2. For high-performance cars like a 55 AMG or a 63 AMG the performance compromise of all season tyres may not be acceptable in the summer months
  3. CrossClimate tyres aren't available in 19 inch sizes
whitenemesis likes this.
st13phil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st13phil For This Useful Post:
RonFleet (29-11-2016)
Old 29-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenemesis View Post
If getting a second set of wheels for fitting winter tyres I'd go for the same width all round, as shown in the handbook. Far more choice available and usually cheaper too.

Mytyres do some great deals on wheel and tyre combos, using the most popular winter rims for Mercs.
Yes, I was also thinking of following the handbook recommendations, thanks.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E350 Coupe
If you get a set of winter rim do you have to have tyre pressure sensing or do you just disable it for the time using winter tyre's?
Oxonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C350e Estate with a posh clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxonmb View Post
If you get a set of winter rim do you have to have tyre pressure sensing or do you just disable it for the time using winter tyre's?
I got a set of additional valves for my winter wheels.
185 from my local dealer.
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Mercedes CLA45
I'm living in Germany at the minute for work, got back on Monday and the frost and ice has hit. As it is Germany it is Law to have winter tyres on when their is ice, slush, snow etc on the road.

I've got a CLA45 with measurements of 235/35/19 .. would anyone recommend and specific brand of tyre? Enquired with Mercedes who quoted well over 1000 where as the tyre companies are offering the same tyres for 800 euro fitted.

Any advice appreciated. And sorry for hijacking the thread!
DannyHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #15

Car: R172 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHall View Post
I'm living in Germany at the minute for work, got back on Monday and the frost and ice has hit. As it is Germany it is Law to have winter tyres on when their is ice, slush, snow etc on the road.

I've got a CLA45 with measurements of 235/35/19 .. would anyone recommend and specific brand of tyre? Enquired with Mercedes who quoted well over 1000 where as the tyre companies are offering the same tyres for 800 euro fitted.

Any advice appreciated. And sorry for hijacking the thread!
Personally, I'd fit these;

Continental WinterContact TS 850 P 235/35 R19 91 W XL, FR Oponeo.co.uk

German tyres on a German car, in Germany.... As usual, check the handbook for the Winter tyre specs, just to make sure.
R1NGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tyres, wheels, winter, worth