Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > ------> Mercedes Performance > AMG Lounge
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

AMG Lounge
For the tuning of AMG Lorinser WALD Hamann Brabus Carlsson Vaeth Kleeman Renntech Mosselman Volstrom Weistec as well as Tuning and Eurocharged Mercedes remap

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lee C63

Old 22-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Cls63amg 702bhp/Atom3
Smile Res delete question (newb)

Ok, so a cat delete is cutting out the cats which I believe are located at the front of the pipes like on most cars.

What's a res delete? What's a res and what does it do?

I'm thinking of both the above and maintaining my standard rear box. That and a remap. I know about the MOt issue.

Has anyone got straight through pipes to the back box and does it make a massive difference to the exhaust note?

Many thanks. doc :-)
Doc matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C63 Saloon
Res = resonator

Main function is to reduce exhaust sound volume and reduce droning.
sirius9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirius9 For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (22-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 22-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Noisy E Class, Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc matt View Post
Ok, so a cat delete is cutting out the cats which I believe are located at the front of the pipes like on most cars.
Usually, yes. You have your car down as a CLS63. Is it the Bi-turbo or the 6.2 engine?

Quote:
What's a res delete? What's a res and what does it do?
Explained previously above.

Quote:
Has anyone got straight through pipes to the back box and does it make a massive difference to the exhaust note?
I have 3" pipes from the turbos back and yes, it makes a huge difference, though is a bit too loud for everyday early morning starts unless you have sympathetic neighbours. This is on a bi-turbo.
daveenty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveenty For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (22-11-2016)
Old 22-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: Cls63amg 702bhp/Atom3
Hi daveenty. Yes it's a bi turbo. Early mornings won't be a problem. Does the resonator have flaps inside or is it just simply a fixed bolt on device?

The only thing putting me off having the work done is the exhaust note sounding more raspy/tinny like theM3's etc. They seem to loose their stock depth/bassy noise. Kind of hard to explain really
Doc matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: Noisy E Class, Landrover
Resonator is basically a twin pipe straight through silencer in the middle of the car.

The usual thing people do is to cut it out and replace it with either an X pipe or an H pipe. I used an H pipe. This keeps the balance going between cylinder banks, allowing for scavenging and reducing back pressure. It's not a bolt on piece but actually forms part of the system.

This was one of the first mods I did on mine and, whilst increasing the noise on higher revs, it had little effect at the lower end apart from making the sound slightly deeper, though a lot nicer IMO. I got no drone at all with mine, though I don't do a lot of constant "set throttle" type driving.

You don't mention whereabouts you're located, but there are several people dotted about the country who are very experienced in this sort of work, most of who come highly recommended by people on this and other forums.

Weistec modified Bi-Turbo. A perfect way of converting petrol to noise.
daveenty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveenty For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C63 (weistec supercharged)
It certainly won't sound like the raspy farty noise of a M3..... Daves sounds like booming thunder when he sets it away lol
daveenty likes this.
Lee C63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee C63 For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
As above, resonator box otherwise known as a 'muffler' to dampen the sound to what MB design/engineering spec requirements, quite muted in most cases, most V8 owners look to unleash the roar sound of the engine and in doing so you will gain a few HP due to removing exhaust restrictions, meaning the exit gases flow quicker...

I deleted both secondary cats/res box on my E55K, around town hardly any difference at all...big pleasurable difference when you hit the loud pedal

Quick explanation of 'X' pipe V's 'H' pipe section...X gives more of a fluted sound, H is more roar....i went with H when i did the E55K

X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe, What is Better for Your Exhaust System?
E55K W211 AMG Black beast with Eurocharged mods...
C-Class W202 x2 (C230K Sport / C250D)
E-Class W210 (E220CDI Avantgarde)
S-Class W220 (S320CDI)
CL W215 (CL500)

Last edited by DSB SL AMG; 23-11-2016 at 10:53 AM.
DSB SL AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSB SL AMG For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (23-11-2016)
Old 24-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C32 AMG
I had a res delete and it doesn't drone on the motorway. I think messing with the back boxes gives a higher chance of drone. I have stock back box and res delete and it's perfect for me.
RyanMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyanMuller For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (24-11-2016)
Old 24-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
+1 when i did the E55K res box/ secondary cat delete no drone at all with original AMG rear boxes...however when i changed the back boxes on my old CL500 to aftermarket sport type was left with motorway drone which drove me crazy a learning experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMuller View Post
I had a res delete and it doesn't drone on the motorway. I think messing with the back boxes gives a higher chance of drone. I have stock back box and res delete and it's perfect for me.
DSB SL AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSB SL AMG For This Useful Post:
Doc matt (24-11-2016)

Tags
delete, newb, question, res