Go Back   MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > ------> Mercedes Performance > AMG Lounge
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk

AMG Lounge
For the tuning of AMG Lorinser WALD Hamann Brabus Carlsson Vaeth Kleeman Renntech Mosselman Volstrom Weistec as well as Tuning and Eurocharged Mercedes remap

Like Tree6Likes

Old 25-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200 CDI Sport, VW Transporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969
No one is worrying about cost but being charged for a service on a low mileage car is unnecessary. These are modern engines not F1 cars As asked earlier why do Merc need servicing when BMW don't.
Old M3's used to be yearly, I only know that because I was looking to buy one back then

If you had bought an AMG new it would require a run in service anyway, so that's one. Then on year 2 its first proper service

'Servicing' at MB consists of scheduled work and check-overs, like an A service would be oil change and the checkup

Nothing is stopping you just having the oil changed surely?

At the most I'd suspect prospective buyers come sale time to be put off with things being missed
ash59fifty-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #17
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: E63 W212 & Mini JCW F56
Getting back on topic...
I have a service plan and have had for my last 3 mercs. I'm never going to miss a service so I might as well spread the cost out a bit.
wil992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #18
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash59fifty-uk View Post
Would you want to go nearly two years without servicing a porker or an M/// though?
Yes. I'll take advice from Porsche directly, rather than forum talk If they say it's two years if time limited rather than usage, I'll stick with that.

I've never skipped a service on any 911 or my Z4M. As I do low miles though, it's 2 years on both. The S54 has valve clearances too, unlike just about anything more modern out there.

Because Merc have labelled the C43 now as a full AMG model, it's now on yearly servicing. If you're not doing many miles, that's a lot more money to pay for very little work, especially given the level of profiteering involved.

I don't mind paying good money for work completed, but getting ripped-off is another matter.

There's another clue in the disks and pads that they've tried to charge me for the last two years. First check I was told they were 2/3rd worn and new disks and pads required. I checked them and they were barely a 1/3rd worn. The service manager was a little sheepish when challenged.

Guess what happened this year?
abar121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #19
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by abar121 View Post
Because Merc have labelled the C43 now as a full AMG model, it's now on yearly servicing. If you're not doing many miles, that's a lot more money to pay for very little work, especially given the level of profiteering involved.
Every modern Mercedes I've owned (we're on our 6th) is on a mileage/12 month service schedule. It's not specific to AMG.

Even our diesel E is serviced annually.
GLK likes this.
Red C220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #20
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Blimey, I didn't realise that. The C63 is my first Merc. Whoops.
Old 25-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #21
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: 2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by abar121 View Post
Blimey, I didn't realise that. The C63 is my first Merc. Whoops.
Your dashboard will tell you when it needs a service, run through the menus next time you're behind the wheel.
Red C220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red C220 View Post
Your dashboard will tell you when it needs a service, run through the menus next time you're behind the wheel.
Mine is every year on the C63, I know that, no problem. I didn't realise that was for all of their models.

Most Porsche's have been every 2 years or 30k KMs since something like 2008. Beemers similar too.
Old 23-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #23
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: C43 AMG Estate
Not sure if the original question has been answered here but I too will be taking delivery of a new C43 AMG in January and no doubt MB will offer me a Service Plan at a month. Not sure how it will be cheaper with a plan unless they do the actual service for a cheaper price compared to straight cash deals? Help!!!
DRIVER200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C200 CDI Sport, VW Transporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER200
Not sure if the original question has been answered here but I too will be taking delivery of a new C43 AMG in January and no doubt MB will offer me a Service Plan at a month. Not sure how it will be cheaper with a plan unless they do the actual service for a cheaper price compared to straight cash deals? Help!!!
Seriously you're asking that after all this?

When you pick the car up in January, ask how much individual services will cost. Then ring up and get a quote for a service plan. After you've done that, you can post back here and tell me the result which I already know lol
GLK likes this.
ash59fifty-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #25
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: W204 C250 CGI AMG sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red C220 View Post
Every modern Mercedes I've owned (we're on our 6th) is on a mileage/12 month service schedule. It's not specific to AMG.

Even our diesel E is serviced annually.
....I,m on my 5th....like you mileage/12 month contract servicing.. the way to go ... for hopefully peace of mind driving.....better yet take out a 3/4 year service plan to lock in price rather than an annual renewal.......... foxy52

Last edited by foxy52; 23-12-2016 at 06:21 PM.
foxy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #26
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Don't see it that way as if you pay monthly say around 450 a year when your first service is due which is probably only an oil change anyway Mercedes will be reluctant letting you supply your own oil as they have 450 of your money that they want you to spend with them!! Or have I missed something?

Last edited by DRIVER200; 23-12-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 23-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #27
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER200 View Post
Don't see it that way as if you pay monthly say around 450 a year when your first service is due which is probably only an oil change anyway Mercedes will be reluctant letting you supply your own oil as they have 450 of your money that they want you to spend with them!! Or have I missed something?
Supplying your own oil is a very effective way of reducing the cost of your service, as MB have a very healthy markup on the oil. Years ago it was 13 per litre, but not sure how much these days. I think I recently paid 50-ish including VAT for 20 litres from the parts counter.

If you're on a service contract then there's no need to do that, as you've paid for the oil in your monthly repayments, and as the contract will be through Mercedes-Benz UK (or an agent appointed by them) rather than the dealer, and they won't offer you a reduction in price.

When I had a service contract on our ML270 years ago, I used to ask for a copy of the invoice after repairs and maintenance. The main dealer used to black out the labour cost line because it was around 1/3 of the labour rate, charged to customers walking through the door.

Mercedes-Benz UK set the price that the dealers charge MBUK, for warranty work, repairs and contract maintenance. To be fair, the volume of work which dealers invoice back to MBUK should justify a generous discount. That's how it can sometimes work out cheaper on a contract.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I would imagine that Mercedes would price match service prices with other dealers such is the case with most car dealers now which at least gives you a chance of pushing down the price. However, if they see you have a Service Plan they will have no incentive to do this as they already have your money so you really have no bargaining power.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #29
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car: ( )
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER200 View Post
I would imagine that Mercedes would price match service prices with other dealers such is the case with most car dealers now which at least gives you a chance of pushing down the price. However, if they see you have a Service Plan they will have no incentive to do this as they already have your money so you really have no bargaining power.
There's nothing to negotiate at the time of service because you're not being invoiced for the service. The price you pay is the monthly fee, and that is set at the outset of the contract.

But yes, many dealers will negotiate or price match if you don't have a service contract. Pick dealerships where you speak to the guy who's job it is to keep the ramps busy, and not a call centre, because they are incentivised to keep the ramps busy, and can negotiate. Call centre agents can't in my experience.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I guess that illustrates my point as if you have paid -up front- then Mercedes can charge effectively what they like as they know you are already in credit and will probably not be too concerned at the cost as long as you have enough credit to cover the cost. Maybe the 10% of parts and FOC courtesy car is a bonus?

Tags
c43, plan, service